My Batting Advice

----------

[/COLOR]
for what its worth...here's my $0.02 worth. I've used it to inc my average as an opener for Warwickshire (I think its called):

- do almost all your batting on the back foot. :)

Yes I premeditate (I don't have Jedi reflexes) and used to play off the front foot, however I would give up lots of knicks and sky the ball, AND I would miss out on all the backfoot shots eg. late cut, hook, pull, etc. On the backfoot, I can do all the frontfoot shots (albeit with less power so you give up a lot more 4s) but you open up backfoot shots.

Funny how the AI batsmen in career mode (ie. your batting partner) gets to face pace bowling with 5 slips...whilst you get a perfect field. They then get to race to 50 playing rash shots into open areas whilst you have to eek out 1s and 2s.
Playing on the back foot results in being bowled by a Yorker or gone L.B.W, while playing on the front foot you can afford to miss the shorter ball because they'll go over the stumps. :yes

Last edited:
Not unless you play a straight drive on Yorker balls. I've reverted back to front foot only now primarily because I get more power on drives vs back foot drives.

how do people stop edging it, I have put in a load of work trying to play the right shot so as not to chip to only go to the gaps, etc etc.

then, when I'm kinda getting the hang of it and I've hit a few shots, I see a ball, maybe by a spinner or medium pacer, see it's on middle stump, wait for it as my timing is now ok that I can see the ball coming, go forward, play a straight drive. edged. out.

same thing happened to me the second innings, big gap behind square leg, bowler throws a shocker that's angling right past leg stump, I think "I'll have this." go forward, go to glance it, takes a thin edge, out.

I could almost take the constant chipping to fielders, even though it happens way too much, I just knew not to play straight drives to bouncers and only play into spaces. then I started learning when to be sensible and blocking out pace bowlers that were just too quick and learning to leave balls way outside off etc etc. then I go the hang of timing it and not pushing too hard on the stick so it was a fluid stroke not a ill thought out smack.

but this, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I see the ball, I'm happy with it's speed, I'm ok with the shot and I'm picking up an edge.

as an aside, for patch two, can we please make edges deviate a bit more. the game has nothing but fine edges, even when you look back at the replay and you've hit nearly a third of the ball it just passes on through. it wasn't for the fact the edge always went to the keeper I'd be getting off with a few as there's rarely slips in.

I try so hard not to premeditate, but its hard...if I wait to play the ball on its merit, in half a second the ball has trapped me lbw or bowled by a full fast delivery

I camp on the front foot, something which I don't like doing, but I react late on foot selection for balls bowled fuller and straight.

What gets me out mostly, is playing a short ball on front foot, it end up going nowhere and caught at mid on region.

Unable to play Spinners need advise

I am unable to play spinner at all.I can only play sweep and reverse sweep or coming down and play ground or lofted shots.Any suggestions?

how do people stop edging it, I have put in a load of work trying to play the right shot so as not to chip to only go to the gaps, etc etc.

then, when I'm kinda getting the hang of it and I've hit a few shots, I see a ball, maybe by a spinner or medium pacer, see it's on middle stump, wait for it as my timing is now ok that I can see the ball coming, go forward, play a straight drive. edged. out.

same thing happened to me the second innings, big gap behind square leg, bowler throws a shocker that's angling right past leg stump, I think "I'll have this." go forward, go to glance it, takes a thin edge, out.

I could almost take the constant chipping to fielders, even though it happens way too much, I just knew not to play straight drives to bouncers and only play into spaces. then I started learning when to be sensible and blocking out pace bowlers that were just too quick and learning to leave balls way outside off etc etc. then I go the hang of timing it and not pushing too hard on the stick so it was a fluid stroke not a ill thought out smack.

but this, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I see the ball, I'm happy with it's speed, I'm ok with the shot and I'm picking up an edge.

as an aside, for patch two, can we please make edges deviate a bit more. the game has nothing but fine edges, even when you look back at the replay and you've hit nearly a third of the ball it just passes on through. it wasn't for the fact the edge always went to the keeper I'd be getting off with a few as there's rarely slips in.

That's why there should be optional timing meters in the game, so you can view whether you timed the ball early, late or it was your footwork (in case timing was ideal). I face the exact same problem against spinners and slower medium pacers when they drop their pace to 80s. Sometimes I think I've waited the right time for playing a shot and still end up getting an edge to wkt keeper.

Yes, I have used practice match but you don't see the timing meter there ether. Secondly, and most importantly, you can't replicate the 'fatigue effect' in practice. A medium pacer never bowls in 80s in 'Match Practice' mode and that's what I struggle against. I should have the option to turn the timing meter HUD on to see what exactly did I do wrong against a medium pacer bowling at 82 kph. Alternatively, 'Match Practice' should have an option of setting the speed of the bowler so you can practice against the bowling speeds you struggle against and timing meters would still be helpful.

With Spinners I tend to use:

1. leg glance to square leg
2. rev sweep
3. cover drives

Haven't given up a knick yet - only been out bowled/lbw when I miss the ball completely.

With pace bowlers, I just pretty much use:

1. leg glance (easy runs)
2. cover drives or on drives

The risk of knicking the ball is quite high when driving but its the same as trying to block, esp when facing lefties. So I don't block at all. I use the leg glance shot as much as I can until the AI stacks the leg side...then I smash it through cover, etc.

My Thoughts

I have struggled with career batting up until this point but now have things pretty much sorted. Just my thoughts?

Key Points:

First thing?s first, Your new career player is rubbish. He is a 16 year-old number 11 rabbit facing strike bowlers. At the start of your career if you play anything but the correct shot you will be punished. It is key to understand this and that you must play within your limitations (to start with). Any failure to grasp just how poor your player?s skills will result in instant dismissal. He will be poor for a good few seasons (it takes 60 points to fill one notch on the skills meters) so get used to it. A lot of people wonder why it?s so much harder in career, it?s because you?re using someone who has no batting ability.

Playing within limitations: So we?ve established that you have no skills, how do you still make runs and survive? The key is to know what you can and can?t do.
-Front foot / back foot ? at this point if you play a front foot shot to a short ball you will regularly be caught or miss. If you?re not quick enough to play front and back correctly each time the safest thing to do is to assume the ball will be front foot. However, if the ball is short then play a front foot pull and you should not be caught, if you miss the ball then it?s not the end of the world.
-Know the field ? If there are gaps at mid-on mid-off then abuse them for singles or boundaries (be careful if one is there as you may not hit the ball exactly where you want due to timing). You want to aim for gaps most of the time as otherwise you will be caught. Do not play power-shots unless there is a gaping hole in the field (you will be caught). Power shots are harder to time anyway which makes it nearly impossible with your rabbit batsman.
-Don?t play too many shots any squarer than cover on the off side. Your guy isn?t good enough yet and you?ll likely miss or edge it.
-Aim for singles and twos. Ambition is rarely rewarded as your guy can?t pull off the shots.
-Never ever be early. Always be late if not ideal timing.
-Never play a defensive shot, it?s one less button to worry about.
-Do not run unless it is extremely safe. Unsure? Don?t run. I have got out more times trying to get back after a cancelled run than anything else. The sooner you understand this the earlier you?ll be making decent scores.
-Know your types of bowler ? First thing to understand is that timing is very different for each different type of bowler.
Fast / Fast-Medium ? Tricky due to lack of decision making time, however harder to be caught. This is the only type of bowling where you can get away with an early-ish shot. You will likely miss the short balls so don?t worry too much about them and try and play front foot pulls. Pretty safe to play straight so try and work singles to mid on and off. If both fielders are in then pull out a few leg glances or push the ball just a little wider. If there are no gaps then the safest thing to do is play straight.
Medium ? Timing is much much later than you think it should be, huge difference to F / FM. Straight shots are no longer safe unless you?re playing into a gap. Easier to pull off the front foot pulls to short deliveries so they are no longer a problem. The leg glance is your friend so abuse it. The on drive is also very useful but if there is a mid-on then use sparingly (if he?s on the fence then perfect opportunity to take a single).
Spin ? Even later than medium (really really late ? when the ball is bouncing). I reiterate my statement of ?never be early?, as soon as you are you will be caught with spin bowling, and often medium as well. Get in the nets and you?ll see how late you need to be. I now tell myself before every delivery, ?wait for it, wait for it?. Once you realise how much time you have you will be able to take a lot longer to decide on a shot. If you are waiting long enough then you shouldn?t struggle any more. Shot making is also key and similar to medium. If you are happy playing the sweep shot then play it if the field allows. Lots of leg glances. Only play straight if there is a big gap (easy fours when there is).
-Wait for it ? Following what I have said above about waiting, I feel like this has been the biggest turning point for me. You have more time than you think (which makes decision making much easier). If you?re always ideal or late timing then you will rarely be caught, the worst that should happen is you fluff the shot along the ground. I cannot emphasise how surprising it is how late you actually need to be for medium and spin. Once you use the time available to you it will be easier to play a wider array of shots. Get in the nets to see just how late you need to be and I promise your game will improve massively.

It is important to understand that the limited approach outlined above is only temporary. Once skilled up (not sure how many season it takes) your guy will be able to play a full array of shots like you do in standard matches.

Batting is not easy to begin with and you still need to concentrate every ball.

If you only take one thing away from what I have said ? never play early!

I am unable to play spinner at all.I can only play sweep and reverse sweep or coming down and play ground or lofted shots.Any suggestions?

Sounds to me like you can play spin very well... all the things you've listed, you are SUPPOSED to do to spinners... what's the issue? are you getting caught playing all those shots or something..?

Tip 1: Play late.
Tip 2: Play late
and finally play late.

Also set up a casual game vs the AI in pro mode, against say India or Pakistan and change the line up to make sure you will only face spin all the way through.

Once you have had a few games, you will only improve.

I have struggled with career batting up until this point but now have things pretty much sorted. Just my thoughts?

Key Points:

First thing?s first, Your new career player is rubbish. He is a 16 year-old number 11 rabbit facing strike bowlers. At the start of your career if you play anything but the correct shot you will be punished. It is key to understand this and that you must play within your limitations (to start with). Any failure to grasp just how poor your player?s skills will result in instant dismissal. He will be poor for a good few seasons (it takes 60 points to fill one notch on the skills meters) so get used to it. A lot of people wonder why it?s so much harder in career, it?s because you?re using someone who has no batting ability.

Playing within limitations: So we?ve established that you have no skills, how do you still make runs and survive? The key is to know what you can and can?t do.
-Front foot / back foot ? at this point if you play a front foot shot to a short ball you will regularly be caught or miss. If you?re not quick enough to play front and back correctly each time the safest thing to do is to assume the ball will be front foot. However, if the ball is short then play a front foot pull and you should not be caught, if you miss the ball then it?s not the end of the world.
-Know the field ? If there are gaps at mid-on mid-off then abuse them for singles or boundaries (be careful if one is there as you may not hit the ball exactly where you want due to timing). You want to aim for gaps most of the time as otherwise you will be caught. Do not play power-shots unless there is a gaping hole in the field (you will be caught). Power shots are harder to time anyway which makes it nearly impossible with your rabbit batsman.
-Don?t play too many shots any squarer than cover on the off side. Your guy isn?t good enough yet and you?ll likely miss or edge it.
-Aim for singles and twos. Ambition is rarely rewarded as your guy can?t pull off the shots.
-Never ever be early. Always be late if not ideal timing.
-Never play a defensive shot, it?s one less button to worry about.
-Do not run unless it is extremely safe. Unsure? Don?t run. I have got out more times trying to get back after a cancelled run than anything else. The sooner you understand this the earlier you?ll be making decent scores.
-Know your types of bowler ? First thing to understand is that timing is very different for each different type of bowler.
Fast / Fast-Medium ? Tricky due to lack of decision making time, however harder to be caught. This is the only type of bowling where you can get away with an early-ish shot. You will likely miss the short balls so don?t worry too much about them and try and play front foot pulls. Pretty safe to play straight so try and work singles to mid on and off. If both fielders are in then pull out a few leg glances or push the ball just a little wider. If there are no gaps then the safest thing to do is play straight.
Medium ? Timing is much much later than you think it should be, huge difference to F / FM. Straight shots are no longer safe unless you?re playing into a gap. Easier to pull off the front foot pulls to short deliveries so they are no longer a problem. The leg glance is your friend so abuse it. The on drive is also very useful but if there is a mid-on then use sparingly (if he?s on the fence then perfect opportunity to take a single).
Spin ? Even later than medium (really really late ? when the ball is bouncing). I reiterate my statement of ?never be early?, as soon as you are you will be caught with spin bowling, and often medium as well. Get in the nets and you?ll see how late you need to be. I now tell myself before every delivery, ?wait for it, wait for it?. Once you realise how much time you have you will be able to take a lot longer to decide on a shot. If you are waiting long enough then you shouldn?t struggle any more. Shot making is also key and similar to medium. If you are happy playing the sweep shot then play it if the field allows. Lots of leg glances. Only play straight if there is a big gap (easy fours when there is).
-Wait for it ? Following what I have said above about waiting, I feel like this has been the biggest turning point for me. You have more time than you think (which makes decision making much easier). If you?re always ideal or late timing then you will rarely be caught, the worst that should happen is you fluff the shot along the ground. I cannot emphasise how surprising it is how late you actually need to be for medium and spin. Once you use the time available to you it will be easier to play a wider array of shots. Get in the nets to see just how late you need to be and I promise your game will improve massively.

It is important to understand that the limited approach outlined above is only temporary. Once skilled up (not sure how many season it takes) your guy will be able to play a full array of shots like you do in standard matches.

Batting is not easy to begin with and you still need to concentrate every ball.

If you only take one thing away from what I have said ? never play early!

This is exactly how I would've put it. Fantastic tips and for anyone reading it, every word of it is the truth.

thanks @Ispider, that's a great post. I'm very, very slowly getting better. (still awful even compared to the worst of you, mid-way through my second season and still a solitary 50 to my name.)

I still do play defensive shots, I don't know if it's some aspect in the game or the AI is second guessing me because I've been too obvious but I find if I play two shots for 4 in an over even if the bowler delivers an identical ball I get out edging if I try and play it the same way for 4. usually two fours mean I count my blessings and just block the over out.

I also tend to block out the majority of a fast bowlers spell if he's fresh, I just accept that a fresh 85mph plus bowler is just too hot for me to handle (occasionally I decide if he's bouncing too much to play off the back foot as the drives seem to be lower risk than front foot ones, in an ODI I do this too get off strike) when he's down in the 70s then I feel like I can start looking for shots. god knows what I'm going to do if the patch sorts the fatigue issue out.

I don't find spin awful to play, actually probably easier than pace because I find I have time to get the defensive button down if I don't like the ball, but that's maybe just compared to how bad I am at playing pace, which, when you've only managed one 50 ever, is really, really bad. a late leg glance is a great go to shot and often gets 4 if the fielders aren't right.

finding the levelling painfully slow, especially when I barely play anything on the off-side or the back foot, how are these areas ever going to improve?

from my observations, you get a skill pt for every 6 balls and usualy whatever shot u play on the 6th ball determines the type of skill

so whatever your lacking in - play that type of shot on the ball that is a multiple of 6.

ie i lack backfoot. so on 6,12,18,24,30,36,42 balls i will play backfoot blocks.

i notice if you hit a boundary doing this method you can get +2. coz boundaries sometimes give you +1 anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread