Nathan Hauritz role in the Australian test side. Should he really be playing?

TBCH Hauritz performs just as well as Vettori. Vettori has of course played 6 times as many matches as Hauritz, but after 15 games he averaged 17 with the bat. TBF Vettori was 20 but Hauritz has had to bat at No. 9-10 his entire career, where Vettori averages 23.

And I'd rather have Hauritz bowling for my team than Vettori....

I'd take Vettori over Hauritz to be honest. Hauritz has the benefit of a strong pace attack at the other end whereas Vettori doesn't and hence has to play not only as a containment bowler but as a strike bowler as well. I'm sure if Vettori had the same quality pace attack Australia has bowling at the other end he would have a significantly better average.

They should call back symonds. Then they will have an all rounder. They can use symonds to bowl spin/medium and He will field and bat excellently.

Well because Watson's a better all-rounder and North's (arguably) a better batsman. Both are younger than Symonds and both don't go out drinking when they are supposed to not be drinking...

I'd take Vettori over Hauritz to be honest. Hauritz has the benefit of a strong pace attack at the other end whereas Vettori doesn't and hence has to play not only as a containment bowler but as a strike bowler as well. I'm sure if Vettori had the same quality pace attack Australia has bowling at the other end he would have a significantly better average.

Yeah, the numbers don't show Vettori to be much, but I agree I think I'd have him over Hauritz if someone held a gun to my head. Hauritz is underestimated by batsmen because he's seen as the 4th best bowler in the attack, while Vettori is always respected because he's been one of the Kiwis only threats.

Stuart Clark is a good example of someone who cashed in on being a 4th bowler. In an attack with McGrath, Warne and Lee he blasted onto the scene with 2 big series, but he never quite replicated that when McGrath and Warne had gone. Still solid, but didn't have the brilliance of his beginning.

Hauritz is an ordinary Spinner. He had his best time against Pakistan but Pak batting is pathetic to say the least. Hauritz is not even in top ten spin bowlers IMHO. Australia should look to groom Smith into an attacking spinner.

Hauritz is a pretty rank bowler. I reckon I could flog him around if I went out there to bat - what does he do that is that special? He bowls 75-80km/h off-spin that hardly even spins, and he drops it in short at least once an over...

It looks like that, and I reckon even I could out bowl him at test level :p

But he performs, we can't deny that. Against Pakistan or not, hes done well in ODIs and had a solid Ashes.

TBCH Hauritz performs just as well as Vettori. Vettori has of course played 6 times as many matches as Hauritz, but after 15 games he averaged 17 with the bat. TBF Vettori was 20 but Hauritz has had to bat at No. 9-10 his entire career, where Vettori averages 23.

And I'd rather have Hauritz bowling for my team than Vettori....

It has something to do with their roles in their respective teams. Haruritz generally comes very late in the innings to concede the batsman or to save runs with defensive fielding. While majority of times Vettori has to bowl to take wickets. Still I believe Hauritz got great patience and he is improving day by day. He should get his chance in test side now. Also I do not see any other option for Australia in spinning department.

He hates McGain.....

Gazza added 0 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Cameron Boyce ftw though

I think the expectations we have of Hauritz are still too high, which can be put down to him being our first main spinner since Warne/Macgill. There aren't really any other options in the Australian spin department. Just because Hauritz doesn't completely bamboozle batsman with huge turn or unorthodoxy doesn't mean he's not a decent spin bowler. What if Smith debuted against New Zealand in the second test, had Taylor dropped off him and then subsequently got smashed around the park a bit (Like Hauritz)? Would he fall under the same criticism or would excuses be found?

Gosh Hauritz cops so much more than he deserves. What has he done wrong to deserve a dropping? Average of 29, SR of 64? That's 4 and 13 better than Vettori!

An economy rate of 2.97, what he does is tighten up the opposition batting line-up, and helps the quickies take wickets. Plus he takes 2-3 himself. Job well done.

If only HAuritz could bat at an ave of 30

Clarke, Katich and North combined cannot do as good as Hauritz, he is very important for Australia atm and he proved it against Pakistan and West Indies except when he was taken apart by Gayle. Remember Australia's tour of India in 2008? The part timers including Cameron White failed miserably there and Krejza kept leaking runs even though he picked up wickets.

I wasn't a massive fan of what Hauritz did when he was recalled to the side, but he's earned his place. He's only averaging 30, which in today's game is very good, and he's bowling accurately.

We Aussies are too quick to cast a spinner aside because he can't run through a side, a la Warnie. But there's never going to be another Warnie, and at the moment we're probably going to have to be satisfied that we have a containing spinner while the quickies do it at the other end.

Harris >>>>>>>>>>> Siddle by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread