NatWest Series 2004

6th Match West Indies vs New Zealand

Toss: New Zealand

West Indies 216 (46.2 OV) (Lara 58, Sarwan 54) (Cairns 3/29, Butler 3/41)
New Zealand 220/5 (46 OV) ( Marshall 75) (Bravo 3/36)

Result: New Zealand won by 5 wickets

Man of the Match: HJH Marshall

Points Table

New Zealand: 17Pts
West Indies: 10Pts
England: 9Pts

On a pitch like that, we are going to lose wickets. You can either stand around leaving everything and wait to get out, or you can attack the bowling and score what you can.

nice choice Michael

7th Match: England vs New Zealand

Toss: New Zealand

England 237/7 (Flintoff 106, Strauss 61) (Butler 3/57)
New Zealand 241/4 (47.2OV) (Fleming 99) (Collingwood 2/47)

Result: New Zealand won by 6 wickets

Man of the Match: SP Fleming

Points Table

New Zealand: 22Pts
West Indies: 10Pts
England: 10Pts

I think England should call Matthew Hoggard to the ODI side (unless he has some kind of a injury). Darren Gough has no doubt been a great bowler for England, but he just cant do it any longer. He is showing patches of his old self, but just cant maintain it.
Hoggard and Harmison form a dangerous duo, and should be reunited in the ODIs, with Anderson as the third bowler. Obviously till Flintoff recovers from his injury, England will have to play Sajid Mahmood. But when Flintoff is available for both bowling and batting, Mahmood can be replaced by an extra batsman like McGrath, Clarke, Pieterson, or Bell. Or maybe play one of the two between Giles and Blackwell.

I would like to see this side for the Natwest ODIs
Vaughan
Trescothick
Strauss
Key
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Mahmood
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson

And this would be the best ODI squad for England (will all players fit and available for both bowling and batting in the case of allrounders like Flintoff)

Vaughan
Trescothick
Strauss
Key/Bell/Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Blackwell/Giles
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson

Robert Key should be nowhere near any international side ever again.

my England ODI side would be:

Trescothick
Solanki
Strauss
Vaughan
Flintoff
McGrath
Jones
Collingwood
Hoggard/Gough (depending on conditions)
Anderson
Harmison

I am sorry, but I would rather have Key than Solanki. If you watch closely, Solanki only dances about on the pitch. He might be aggressive, but his technique is really poor.

probable squad for 8th Match

England (probable) 1 Marcus Trescothick, 2 Michael Vaughan (capt), 3 Robert Key, 4 Andrew Strauss, 5 Andrew Flintoff, 6 Paul Collingwood, 7 Geraint Jones (wk), 8 Anthony McGrath, 9 Darren Gough, 10 James Anderson, 11 Stephen Harmison.

West Indies (probable) 1 Chris Gayle, 2 Brian Lara (capt), 3 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 4 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 5 Dwayne Bravo, 6 Ricardo Powell, 7 Dwayne Smith, 8 Ridley Jacobs (wk), 9 Ian Bradshaw, 10 Tino Best, 11 Jermaine Lawson.

Must win match for both teams. The weather's looking good too...

Originally posted by m_vaughan
I am sorry, but I would rather have Key than Solanki. If you watch closely, Solanki only dances about on the pitch. He might be aggressive, but his technique is really poor.

even without Solanki, England might be better off playing with 10 men than Key. I have never once seen him look even close to international standard.

England are out

8th Match: England vs West Indies

Toss: West Indies

England 285/7 (Flintoff 123, Strauss 100)
West Indies 286/3 (49.1 OV) (Gayle 132*)

Result: West Indies won by 7 wickets

Man of the Match: C.Gayle

Final will be played on saturday btwn New Zeland and West Indies

remarkable!!!!! wow!! who would ever think of the windies in the natwest final? great match though from both teams

yup...but what an innings from freddie!!!

but well played by gayle, sarwan and strauss also.

good match. its a shame that england wont play in the finals.

Flintoff and Strauss should have won the match for us, they played brilliantly.

We just didn't bowl well enough.

Match was lost in the first 20 overs for England. Takes the mickey when it took us 18 overs to get to 50 runs and then Freddie and Strauss score 48 in two later in the match!!

Time for change in the England squad. Think Strauss should open, with Vaughan at 4, Key out, but unsure who should be put in his place. Gough I think must now retire from internationals. I say bring Gloucestershires John Lewis in (Biassed I know but he is the leading wicket taker this year), or more seriously Hoggard.

Users who are viewing this thread