New Patch now available for PC, PS4 (1.07) & Xbox One (1.0.0.8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
a little word on mentality...

now the caveat here is it's a very small sample, just 7 balls. but it's the 2nd time with the same batsman. I will also say upfront the dismissal is lovely, and i think indicates better edge variety than i have seen before (which i noticed when batting myself yesterday).

grassy, pristine, hard pitch. legend ai hard bowling, everything default.

Taylor (conservative) in the first two overs of the match - 4 from Caddick in over 1, 3 from Defraitas in over 2?

Does this look like a conservative batsman? @WealeyH @Langeveldt

but equally i can see the value in a later timing window - even if i certainly didn't feel i could play off the pitch as was suggested.

I think it's worth making a point here about the fundamental impossibility of "playing off the pitch" to fullish pace in a video game with any of the batting control systems yet devised.

I just took the first youtube search result for Damien Martyn, and here's a frame from the first shot, a drive on the up off Kallis :

martyndrive.png

Note that the ball hasn't bounced - it's still halfway down - but Martyn is already well into the shot. That's why the timing window has to be earlier, unless you go back to my old DBC14 suggestion of splitting up footwork and downswing, which BA won't go for as it would involve completely redesigning the system.

With that said, against short balls in Ashes there's some possibility of responding to movement - I'm loving cuts and pulls for this at the mo - and some of the spin timing and six hitting windows are very late. So it's fair to say you can play off the pitch (or at least very late) in some circumstances.

a little word on mentality...

now the caveat here is it's a very small sample, just 7 balls. but it's the 2nd time with the same batsman. I will also say upfront the dismissal is lovely, and i think indicates better edge variety than i have seen before (which i noticed when batting myself yesterday).

grassy, pristine, hard pitch. legend ai hard bowling, everything default.

Taylor (conservative) in the first two overs of the match - 4 from Caddick in over 1, 3 from Defraitas in over 2?

Does this look like a conservative batsman? @WealeyH @Langeveldt

This is a tough one to explain, to get them to block and leave you got to be nailing perfects.

Defensive shots although you can achieve 6 in a row we’re lowered a tad in order to get more 1’s and 2’s.

Reason being with trying to eliminate last ball slogs and the run rate being scriped two conservatives were literally going no where...

Over the course of a match or an innings there will be a clear different.

There will be some anomalies pop up...

But I have had Australia race to 100/0 Warner be 75 off 80 and Bancroft 20 off 70

I think it's worth making a point here about the fundamental impossibility of "playing off the pitch" to fullish pace in a video game with any of the batting control systems yet devised.

I just took the first youtube search result for Damien Martyn, and here's a frame from the first shot, a drive on the up off Kallis :

View attachment 208803

Note that the ball hasn't bounced - it's still halfway down - but Martyn is already well into the shot. That's why the timing window has to be earlier, unless you go back to my old DBC14 suggestion of splitting up footwork and downswing, which BA won't go for as it would involve completely redesigning the system.

With that said, against short balls in Ashes there's some possibility of responding to movement - I'm loving cuts and pulls for this at the mo - and some of the spin timing and six hitting windows are very late. So it's fair to say you can play off the pitch (or at least very late) in some circumstances.

thanks for this. yes i think i agree that based on what i played yesterday, there was a significant difference between a short and full ball. and i didn't face a spinner. again and apologies for sounding like a broken record, i simply couldn't get past the seam... when your leg stump is taken out by a ball pitching well outside off stump, you don't focus on the timing window...

This is a tough one to explain, to get them to block and leave you got to be nailing perfects.

Defensive shots although you can achieve 6 in a row we’re lowered a tad in order to get more 1’s and 2’s.

Reason being with trying to eliminate last ball slogs and the run rate being scriped two conservatives were literally going no where...

But I have had Australia race to 100/0 Warner be 75 off 80 and Bancroft 20 off 70

So you're saying blocker is just too shite to get them to block? :p

fair enough... based on the dismissal alone in that video i'm prepared to change my review from stinker to smeller, and will be man enough to upgrade it completely as the other nuances become more apparent and especially when the swing fix comes to ps4 :)[DOUBLEPOST=1524823939][/DOUBLEPOST]
So you're saying blocker is just too shite to get them to block? :p

Whatever gets Tubs back in the hutch for 1 ;)

Having a go on my career mode pacer.

Too bad I've lost about 30mph of pace since last time I played. :( :D

Just finished first innings of first Ashes test with me bowling as England and there was great moment on last ball of Australia innings. Broad rapped Hazlewood on the pads bang in front for a stonewall LBW and the AI reviewed. Unsuccessfully but I really liked the fact they did - kind of 'might as well' / nothing to lose situation. Bit worried that Mohen took six wickets in first two sessions on grassy pitch but I appreciate lots of the little tweaks.

fair enough... based on the dismissal alone in that video i'm prepared to change my review from stinker to smeller, and will be man enough to upgrade it completely as the other nuances become more apparent and especially when the swing fix comes to ps4 :)[DOUBLEPOST=1524823939][/DOUBLEPOST]

Whatever gets Tubs back in the hutch for 1 ;)

I promise the variety of edges are superb now, as well as the Bowleds and LBW’s.

he wasn't as vocal in showing stuff so people may have got a skewed impression, but my recollection of my time in beta was @grkrama played a lot of bating in limited overs, and he would have been vocal if it was too hard. (not to say he'd have definitely carried the day, but there'd have been discussion).

now he is obviously very good in batting, so may not be the best guide for "everyman", but it's probably something to persevere with?

i must say i didn't particularly like the batting yesterday, and i am hugely in sympathy with the view of why should i relearn a game i've already learnt? but equally i can see the value in a later timing window - even if i certainly didn't feel i could play off the pitch as was suggested. i am prepared to give that time though.

The key idea is to get less shots in ideal zone, irl rarely do people play ideal shots all the time even in the best of their form plus this movement of window also made it less premeditative. If you give it some time would like it a lot imo for test play. It takes a few days to relearn the muscle memory.

That said with regards to six hitting, i have been able to knock a few but i do agree it is tough at hardest mainly for limited overs were you need to hit quite a few sixes to stay in game, but since it cant be differentiated for t20s or tests i think a balance between two has been struck.

That said i also noticed it being a tad too tough for online at legend cause of online syncing timing is even harder to get i think.

I think its best for people to give it a week and then take a call.

I think as well as that things are going to require a whole rethink on how teams and players are skilled: I have always found the default Aus and Eng team for example overpowered and now with mentalities and skills playing a more prominent role it shows more: i am busy reskilling my England and Aussie teams. Would be keen to hear what other peoples experiences and settings are....

I think as well as that things are going to require a whole rethink on how teams and players are skilled: I have always found the default Aus and Eng team for example overpowered and now with mentalities and skills playing a more prominent role it shows more: i am busy reskilling my England and Aussie teams. Would be keen to hear what other peoples experiences and settings are....

As I said yesterday for people who weren’t nicking it.. I lowered Khawajas drive skill to 74 and second ball I nicked off driving...

This game has a lot under the bonnet now. I urge everyone to have a play complete some matches. Don’t get hung up on the small stuff if possible.

For what it's worth, AI v AI on veteran, in the swingless build, I watched England 460 all out without a lot of reskilling.

The mentalities were really shot like Cook being aggressive. I changed them beforehand.

What specifically do you think needs tweaking? I think judgment and footwork can go down a bit for some of them. Cook for example now isn't quite a wall IRL.

It's really exciting the depth we have to play with. Proper fantasy league stuff.

I just hope there isn't another build that messes things up if we find a sweet spot here. I hope the online boys get what they want without wrecking the progress we have made until now.

As I said yesterday for people who weren’t nicking it.. I lowered Khawajas drive skill to 74 and second ball I nicked off driving...

This game has a lot under the bonnet now. I urge everyone to have a play complete some matches. Don’t get hung up on the small stuff if possible.
Or could try with teams which have lowered skills.. I never get shortage of edges..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread