New Zealand in South Africa

Who will win the 5 match ODI series?

• South Africa

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 22 42.3%

• Total voters
I am glad to see they have done what I wanted. Well almost. I wanted to see Fulton open so that we could accomodate Styris, Astle and Oram. All our All Rounders. But I kind of wanted to see Marshall out and Papps in.

Marshall is a cool player. I am glad hes kept his spot. But it may not be a smart move. Come on Marshall, get a big one this time mate!!!!

Should be interesting seeing how Oram goes in his return. Bond has been ruled out with Mills coming in, I'm guessing Franklin and Martin would open the bowling. I would go for Oram opening as hes more of a seam bowler and Clark showed how well they can go on these pitches.

Very disappointing news regarding Bond, he was a massive threat to the vulnerable, weary and unsettled South African order, so his absence will be felt by the team and it'll significantly affect the way Fleming goes about his captaincy. A good opportunity for Franklin and Martin to lead the attack, they'll be looking to show their worth through fulfiling their roles. A long while since Oram's been on the team sheet, unfotunate injuries obviously taking their toll, and he'll be looking to bounce back and find his feet at that level once more through a solid performance, which will in turn allow Fleming more flexibility with his leadership as the allrounder is pure class when on-song. I'm not sure about Oram opening, he does get life out of the wicket though, but there are those other options to take into account. By the way, what are the conditions like over there?

Well Franklin has to open the bowling because hes a swing bowler. Mills isn't a opening type bowler, so it's between Martin and Oram. Most likely they will go Martin cause Oram hasn't had any games in awhile.

I was looking forward to seeing our full powered side in action. Unfortonatly its not happening. GRRRR!!

I have to say that Eden Park needs to really sort out its pitch and outfields. They need to be up at the CHCH and Wellington standards. If the Eden Park run up wasn;t so soft and poorly prepared there wouldn't be this problem. Thats where it came from. GRRRRR!!!!!!

I also just want to say, that I am doubting that we will win this test. I thought we had a decent chance with Bond. But the fact that our top 2 batsmen arn't established is a real worry.

Last edited:
Smith is playing, won the toss and is batting.

Mills and Franklin opening the bowling.

Two no-balls called already and both were poor calls.

GIBBS BOWLED AGAIN!!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!! Good stuff!!!!!

Thats 11 times in his last 17 test innings. Amazing stat.

Well, brilliant start from the New Zealand attack, the early breakthrough will give them loads of confidence in which to build an assault upon the unsettled South African middle order. Interesting to see Gibbs as the preferred opener to Dippenaar as De Villiers goes down the order, especially with his recent form in mind and his loose, tentative approach to the new ball these days. It would've made more sense to open with Smith/Dippennar, promote Kallis to 3 where he can use his technique as a major asset to negate the swing of the NZ attack, have De Villiers at four where Gibbs can be protected at six. Also, in my opinion Rudolph should've been selected ahead of Prince.....
By the way, it's so weird that three players, in Pollock, Kallis and Fleming, make the feat of 100 tests, or 'three figures' in Centurion, eh.....

Last edited:
South Africa steady at the moment.

One concern I have for them is that they only have 5 bowling options. Thats it! One is Steyn and we all know that he can have his off days (lol)

As opposed to New Zealand. We have 7 bowling options. So far Mills has been very tidy, looks threatening. Franklin has been Franklin, pretty average. Martin has been Martin, mixture of loose balls and brilliant balls and Oram has been a little dissapointing so far. Pitched a few too many up.

Smith looking reasonably good now.

Yep, agreed, NZ look to have the more balanced side and a greater amount of options which should make Fleming's job easier (or harder....), even with the absence of Bond in mind.
Finally, finally, finally Smith gets over 40, and not on it. I wouldn't get too excited though, in spite of the fact that I hope he does end up performing well.
SA looking solid here, Dippennar seems to be set with Smith finding his feet; Fleming will be contemplating how he'll get the breakthrough over lunch, I suppose. (That or he's doing a stunt commercial for Sky)

Last edited:
irottev said:
South Africa steady at the moment.

One concern I have for them is that they only have 5 bowling options. Thats it! One is Steyn and we all know that he can have his off days (lol)

As opposed to New Zealand. We have 7 bowling options. So far Mills has been very tidy, looks threatening. Franklin has been Franklin, pretty average. Martin has been Martin, mixture of loose balls and brilliant balls and Oram has been a little dissapointing so far. Pitched a few too many up.

But South Africa have Ntini and he is a far more penetrating bowler than any of the New Zealand quicks considering Bond is missing. In test cricket I would rather have one penetrating bowler, than a lot of bits and pieces players.

Yeah, but Ntini isn't exactly penetrative on a consistent basis. He's definitely a great strike bowling option, but doesn't always seem to be there, although he has been recently :p
But there is quite a bit of variation in the SA attack, despite it consisting of the five. Pollock obviously has the metronomical stamp, yet can also be very creative and threatening (we haven't seen that side for a while, though), Ntini provides the attacking option with his extra pace and approaching the crease from a dangerous angle, Steyn is a little unknown to the New Zealanders so they'll have to be watchful, Kallis can bowl very useful cutters and deliveries of varying angle consistently, yet also with a deceptive short ball, and Boje has his assets :p

puddleduck said:
But South Africa have Ntini and he is a far more penetrating bowler than any of the New Zealand quicks considering Bond is missing. In test cricket I would rather have one penetrating bowler, than a lot of bits and pieces players.

I defiantly agree. But theres only 5 options for South Africa. Not even a part timer really. Unless Smith can bowl with his sore finger. So it means if a bowler has an off day, Smith is going to have trouble.

I hope we can challenge a bowler or two and make Smith think.

Our problem so far, especially from Franklin and Martin is there have been good deliveries and there have been terrible ones.

Smith Gone. LBW Franklin.

He has looked a bit scratchy. hes out of form. Its a decent effort from him though. The ball has been doing a little bit today so far.

We needed that breakthrough badly :) Now lets get Kallis back!!!!!

Kallis has been out there not very long and is having injections and pills.

And if he can't bowl. That leaves Smith with only 4 bowling options. See what I mean now?

Sounds like the key will be to get after Boje and possibly Steyn. If you take out their relief option in the form of the spinner, or the relatively inexperienced Steyn could definately prove a weakness.

Dippenar 50.

And then after he brought that up he hit a pull straight into the hands of Two Metre Peter. Getting it over him ain't too easy huh.

These latest two wickets and with Kallis battling an arm injury, puts us back in a much better position.

Yep, New Zealand well on top considering Kallis' uncertainty as mentioned, and the fact that Prince's position in the side is on the borderline and he'll be in two minds about how to approach his game. At the same time Fleming will be trying to maintain the pressure and use his side's position of authority to his advantage by taking a firmer grip upon the match.

Users who are viewing this thread