New Zealand in South Africa

Who will win the 5 match ODI series?

• South Africa

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 22 42.3%

• Total voters
aussie1st said:
Good batting by Oram, hes developing his batting part of the game really well. His bowling was right up there before his injury too. If he can regain that form he would be one of the best all rounders going around.
I think he is filling up for Cairnsy pretty well.

Sure is, NZ are so lucky to have found yet another all rounder. I don't know how they do it but they always seem to be able to produce good all rounders while Australia struggle big time to find one.

Oram is a really decent batsman. I remember when last time Nz toured India he thrashed our bowlers all over the place. Then he just disappeared.

Probably an injury, he also played a good knock against the Aussies. His bowling can be threatening at times as he is very tall so he is able to get bounce like a McGrath.

puddleduck said:
Sounds like Vettori being dropped on 33 was a key moment, what was the chance like Irottev? Should Dippenaar have taken it?

It was high to his left. It was hit hard too. Pretty hard chance, he only got his fingers to it really. Only half of them max would stick. So he can't exactly be blamed. Steyn should have caught Oram though.

Oram has the best average in the team I think. You can't step off the gas when you get down to Oram and Vettori, because this will happen.

Oram is definatly our next Cairns. He was extremly handy with the ball too. Hes a nice man to have at Gully also. Great all rounder cricketer and its fantastic to have him back.

Who knows how much longer Oram could have gone on for. He just needed someone at the other end.

Teams should know by now that Vettori isn't a tail ender. He can hang around for a long time. Oram well thats just stupid thinking hes a tail ender. Possibly Smith's poor captaincy again letting this one slip?

Well, this situation they find themselves in right now describes modern SA perfectly. They just don't know how to maintain the relentless attitude, they can't keep the pressure on by constantly dominating when they have the advantage and in turn push the opposition out of the equasion. They've had so many opportunities recently to grind down the opponent, but don't know how to. That's what keeps them behind in the test arena, the typical defensive mentality that refuses progression. And it's unbelievably annoying when the opportunity's there and they run alongside it....
I dunno if its Smith's fault, they've been like this for ages, although they do seem to be getting worse.
You may say they're suffering from burnout after the tedious back-to-back tour contest against Australia, but from the position they were in, I don't know.
Quality stuff from Ntini, he's really learning the trade of lethality combined with consistency.
Still, you can't take anything away from NZ. They fought back brilliantly, Oram showed his class and defined his worth immediately on return, I remember him scoring a great century against Australia in 2004, so he can definitely step up against the best, but it's a shame about his stop-start career.
Top support given by Vettori, and not just a rearguard hand, but as yet another NZ allrounder.
I hope Smith gets a hundred..... :p

Well it's not only SA that struggle to finish off an opposition. NZ had the same problem against Aus a few years back when Clarke and Gilly got Aus out of a huge mess. But the situation NZ were in was way worse than what Aus were in. Of course all it takes is one partnership which happened and NZ made 300 odd. SA's problem is they aren't holding onto their catches, a number of times they have oppositions reeling only to let the pressure of by dropping a catch and seeing the player make a big 100.

I still think that SA are still having trouble from Australia.

Graeme Smith still seems like he has problems with the bat and they always seem to let 1 person take control (Oram) and just fade away when they have the chance of winning!

Yeah true, but it's always difficult to finish off Australia when Gilchrist was in the devestating mindset and form of a few years back, no one could really do it with confidence, and that formed the backbone to Australia's success, how they said they weren't going to give in or relent, and they followed it up with the results. They also convert the half chances into dismissals.
As you said, SA forget the basics when in a good position, for an international side it's atrocious at the amount of catches they put down, and that just frustrates the bowler, the captain and essentially the whole side. And crucial catches they always eventuate as.
As weird as it sounds, its almost like they're afraid of victory and success. (No, I'm not implying matchfixing)

Last edited:
South Africa may do better this innings. For some strange reason the pitch seems to be getting a little better. When a team is 45/5, they should never end up making an extra 280 runs. South Africa ruined that good performance early.

The NZ bowling was the total opposite of the South African bowling. We bowled poorly early and during the middle we were getting regular wickets all through each session. They got a bunch early with thew new ball and didn't get wickets afterwald.

Top order needs sorting out still though. They have another chance however.

Yeah, well the pitches did tend to even out and develop into a little better for batting as the middle period of the match approached during the recent series against Australia, yet still with some encouragement for the bowlers to allow for a balanced contest, so SA will have to take advantage of the day three conditions by posting a decent lead and keeping NZ under pressure.

Last edited:
IloveGilly said:
I still think that SA are still having trouble from Australia.

Graeme Smith still seems like he has problems with the bat and they always seem to let 1 person take control (Oram) and just fade away when they have the chance of winning!

That is true. On his day he is very tough opposition but he just doesn't do it consistently. Against Austtralia it was always Ponting who took the game away. South Africa make things difficult

Prince gone,nooooooo! Bring Amla ito the side,even though he seems clueless against pure pace,i'm sure he'll do better than Prince. It's gonna be up to Ntini and Steyn to strike and Pollock to defend what should be a low total to chase.

One more thing,Ntini is doing a good job at hitting batsmen,lol!

@gary:Yep, that's the problem, they've definitely got ability, but struggle to consistently find a player who has the capacity to take it upon himself by standing up and leading the side in testing situations.
And, they're reeling at 4-75 with a modest lead of 22.....NZ really bogging down SA now, they're maintaining the pressure and grouping important wickets as a result of taking half chances or creating them, which is good to see I guess, as it's being done in the absence of their penetrative strike bowling option.

EDIT: Gibbsrules: What about Rudolph? He's a better option than Amla and is far more convincing than Prince in my opinion...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread