Who will win the 5 match ODI series?

• South Africa

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 22 42.3%

• Total voters
irottev said:
Thanks for the update :)

Martin can come out for Bond. Mills has bowled very well his last few tests.

Fulton should not have to open again, that was a pretty unfair move. I guess he was given the option of open or be dropped. He has never opened before to my knowledge and his career started soo well at 3. So I want to see (presuming Franklin is injured and Bond is fine)

Papps
How
Fulton
Fleming
Styris
Astle
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond

I don't see why 3 seamers with Styris and Astle as a medium option can't do the job. Along with Vettori of course. I don't like to have How in there, but Fulton is a number 3.

If Both Bond and Franklin are out, we may need to use both Mason and Martin to make up for it. Fleming should open, he has done it before at least. Fulton hasn't.

Not a bad side, one of your guys advantage of having so many all rounders.
I would probably give Fleming a go at the top, hes been shocking lately but he is more experienced then How and Papps. It's better having an experienced guy at one end with the young guy instead of two inexperienced guys.

Bad news Irottev, Shane Bond has been ruled out for the tour.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=97230

You really have to feel sorry for Bond. Such a great talent is going to waste because he can't get out on the park. At least the injury doesn't sound too seious though.

Ruled out of the tour :eek:! That's terrible news for NZ....The thing is, even if the injury isn't overly threatening, the fact that NZ aren't involved in a great deal of Test cricket sensationalizes the situation.

bad news for us and bond but i didnt really expect new zealand to win this test series anyway, hopefully bond can rest up and fire in the icc champions trophy in india

Bonds injury doesnt really affect this series much as I think that whether he played or not wouldnt affect the match outcome anyway.

I'm really looking forward to the next test and expect some significant changes in at least one line-up.

well its a good sense that bond is injured so new zealand dont keep relying on him we need two strike bowlers

Bond was 110% THis injury just flared up when he was in the practice match. Really, he should have been given that game off.

Why is it that whenever we take a fully fit team somewhere half of them end up injured.

Bonds injury doesnt really affect this series much as I think that whether he played or not wouldnt affect the match outcome anyway.

You are totally wrong there, don't be so cocky. You aint that great mate. You underestimate the impact Bond makes on our side. Even without him, if our whole team fires we can challenge. I must admit now that with Bond out and Franklin possibly out we have hardly a chance at winning the series. A drawn one would be good.

So long as Bond can play the Champions Trophy and World Cup then thats great.

Marshall being injured is a shame, he would of made a great substitude fielder.

Last edited:
well bond is 31 or 32 so he is getting on in age and the injuries just keep piling up...i really hope this doesnt become the tale of a talent ruined by injury for good. So hopefully he can get his body right for next summer, im not sure if NZ are touring during the southern winter?

genghis_khan said:
well bond is 31 or 32 so he is getting on in age and the injuries just keep piling up...i really hope this doesnt become the tale of a talent ruined by injury for good. So hopefully he can get his body right for next summer, im not sure if NZ are touring during the southern winter?
I think he is better off with his Police duties or he can go back to be a cop. This is frustrating for kiwis.

genghis_khan said:

He is actually only 30, turning 31 in a month and a half.

It really sucks for him. This is only minor though and will be good in a month. Unfortonatly, theres no cricket til probably September for us.

Yeah its really sad when a talent such as that goes to waste. We had a problem like that here in SA a couple of years back with a guy called Ngam. He was almost the mirror image of Donald (except he was black), in fact Donald's nick was White Lightning and his was Black Thunder.

He bowled at Lee's pace and swung it prodigiously both ways, He played his first test against NZ and he shoulda had a wicket off his first ball (cullinan dropped it at slip).

Anyways he played 3 matches in 2000 (1 NZ, 1 SL, 1 WI), took 11 wickets at 17.18 and had 2 stress fractures in between those matches. Since then he has had 7 stress fractures and only got back last season to provincial level. He now bowls at max 135kph, gets almost no swing and he's no way near as accurate as he was.

In fact telling this story makes me want to cry......................

Main difference is Bond has been able to maintain his pace and swing. Sounds like a real talent this Ngam, could really have put SA on the cricket map in Test matches. Him and Ntini bowling together would be one deadly combo.

irottev said:
You are totally wrong there, don't be so cocky. You aint that great mate. You underestimate the impact Bond makes on our side. Even without him, if our whole team fires we can challenge. I must admit now that with Bond out and Franklin possibly out we have hardly a chance at winning the series. A drawn one would be good.

what im saying is we can't be to dependant on bond and keep our hopes on him. We take him on tours with us and put too much expectation on him and then he gets injured then basically tour over that was the case against england in 2004.

we need another strike bowler so too much expectation does not go on bond, mills, franklin and martin are good bowlers but they wont really get much bounce and swing as bond. if i where the selectors i would give ian butler/mason a go now

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread