New Zealand players could miss first Test in England

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I can never seem to take sides in this whole Club vs Country debate. In a perfect world everyone's top priority would be to play for their country, anytime asked, but we all know it's not. So what ever, it's the players decision and I'm definately not going to look down at a player because he chose the IPL over his country.

Just my opinion though.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Yeah I can understand that point of view. I guess people just wish the players would choose the format that THEY value the most ie. most fans value international cricket most, so they would hope players choose international cricket first.

I mentioned in another thread, I don't think this story is a big one. Only 3 NZ Test players are IPL players: McCullum, Vettori and Taylor. England can't move the series any later as they already have to fit the Champions Trophy and Ashes into their summer. It's just unfortunate for those 3 guys they might miss a Test if they so choose. But life goes on.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hopefully Vettori misses the test, it'll be a blessing in disguise. On the other hand we could fold over rather easily without Taylor and McCullum.

Owzat

International Coach
$$$$ over cricket 'shocker'. I guess with countries like New Zealand, windies and Bangladesh the players good enough to be able to are likely to take the money over losing all the time.

Maybe someone needs to rule that IPL and domestic competitions MUST release players if called up to play for their country. English county cricket have various players coming in at various times to fill in as the overseas player, there is no reason why IPL can't pick players who aren't touring to play/replace those who are.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The franchises can make do. It's not like there are no players who fly-in/fly-out during the IPL. It's the players that would rather get an extra year's salary.

The thing about NZ is that this is all negotiated in their agreement. NZ aren't meant to book fixtures during IPL and in return for not contesting availability, the IPL gives money on their contracts. Whereas the WICB has constant player disputes and SLC can't manage to pay anyone, NZC have negotiated for a pretty lightweight worst-case scenario.

The problem is on England's end really, they're overbooked and can't bump the Test any later. It's incredibly spaz to be hosting the Ashes, the Champions Trophy and an additional tour in 5 months.

Phen

School Cricketer
Maybe someone needs to rule that IPL and domestic competitions MUST release players if called up to play for their country.

This would be brilliant!

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hopefully Vettori misses the test, it'll be a blessing in disguise. On the other hand we could fold over rather easily without Taylor and McCullum.

In fairness, it would allow for players like Kane Willaimson to play cricket. Might be a blessing in disguise.

Inside news, RCB and not retaining Vettori

Epic

Panel of Selectors
In fairness, it would allow for players like Kane Willaimson to play cricket. Might be a blessing in disguise.

Inside news, RCB and not retaining Vettori

I'm pretty sure every player bought at the 2011 auctions has a 3 year contract to his name, so the retaining process doesn't even come into play till 2014.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
AFAIK there's gonna be a fresh auction next year for the domestic players and probably for the overseas players too.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
AFAIK there's gonna be a fresh auction next year for the domestic players and probably for the overseas players too.

Are you sure about this? It hasn't been 3 years since the last 'fresh' auction.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Are you sure about this? It hasn't been 3 years since the last 'fresh' auction.

Yes I'm pretty sure that there is an auction at least for the uncapped Indian players.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Yes I'm pretty sure that there is an auction at least for the uncapped Indian players.

That's confirmed, uncapped Indians will be auctioned off for the first time at next years auction. (along with the capped Indians and unsold overseas players) It just won't be one of those fresh auctions where everyone says goodbye to their old team except for those who are retained.

Users who are viewing this thread