New Zealand terminate Bond contract

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
New Zealand Cricket has terminated Shane Bond's national contract because of his desire to play in the Indian Cricket League (ICL), but the board has not ruled out allowing the fast bowler to return in the future. Bond, who has been involved in lengthy discussions over the deal, is now free to appear in the lucrative but unofficial Twenty20 tournament in April.

Full Article: Cricinfo.

The BCCI's and ICC's continued refusal to accept the ICL has resulted in one of the premier fast bowlers in world cricket having his contract terminated. I think this is a poor decision by the two main entities involved--Shane Bond for ignoring his national duties ahead of the rebel ICL and the NZC for failing to choose players based on their own interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Money over national pride. Maybe its a good thing for his body however. Now he can just play a few 20/20 matches not a whole season:p

Not happy. I love Shane Bond. Probably my favourite paceman that doesn't play for Australia. :(

I cant believe it i just read it then, he is an absolute gun (when he was fit) one of my favourite bowlers, why does the money have to rule over playing for your country?? its really annoying.

Well he is always injured...

Still remember that hattrick he took against Australia last year after he got belted in his previous over.

Money over national pride.

I can't blame him. I mean, who would honestly turn down that amount of money? He was fully willing to continue his contract but NZ Cricket let him go from it, so I don't think there was a pride issue.

Hopefully the whole competition dies or else comes to some arrangement in future or something and Bond can come back and play for NZ.

I'm surprised he isn't going to play vs England in both series actually. He should have signed after the tour probably, but Bond was under the impression he could still play.

But Bond will be missed. One of the best bowlers we've had, probably only behind Hadlee and his cricket career was unfortunately short.

Last edited:
I can't blame him. I mean, who would honestly turn down that amount of money? He was fully willing to continue his contract but NZ Cricket let him go from it, so I don't think there was a pride issue.

Hopefully the whole competition dies or else comes to some arrangement in future or something and Bond can come back and play for NZ.

I'm surprised he isn't going to play vs England in both series actually. He should have signed after the tour probably, but Bond was under the impression he could still play.
I would. I'd do it any day to get that baggy green.

I think the boards are at fault, quite honestly. I mean, it was the BCCI that labeled the ICL as a "rebel league" just because it had beef with Zee. They then convinced the rest of the boards (no doubt with some money and obviously the IPL) to ban their ICL players. It's quite pathetic, honestly. I mean, it seems like the ICL contract allows you to represent your country if you are selected! Where's the problem?

@ Gilly: It's easy saying that, but put yourself in his shoes. With what he's been through $1 million or there abouts a year for a few months work seems like an amazing opportunity. Plus playing for NZ where our players get payed far less and our cricket team is no where near as strong as others isn't so great as playing for Australia, i'm sure.

There is no questioning his commitment, you can see by the way he plays and how he'd bounce back after injury that he was 100% committed to this country.

@ sohummisra

Totally agree. unfortionately, money is power.

I think him not being fully fit had a reason for signing the contract. 20-20 does not take much time and the tournament last 2-3 weeks max. That amount of money for 2-3 weeks id huge. Infact its more than huge. Its humongous.

I cant believe it i just read it then, he is an absolute gun (when he was fit) one of my favourite bowlers, why does the money have to rule over playing for your country?? its really annoying.

You will know the power of money when you cross 20.

I think the boards are at fault, quite honestly. I mean, it was the BCCI that labeled the ICL as a "rebel league" just because it had beef with Zee. They then convinced the rest of the boards (no doubt with some money and obviously the IPL) to ban their ICL players. It's quite pathetic, honestly. I mean, it seems like the ICL contract allows you to represent your country if you are selected! Where's the problem?

Totally agree. Boards are at fault. Still NZC could have saved his career in international cricket if they had know earlier about his intentions and getting him a contract with ICC and BCCI supported IPL.

Last edited:
Money over national pride.

So all those overseas international players like Shane Warne etc are playing in the English County Cricket because they're are getting offered more money. some how i find that unlikely. Maybe there is another reason why Bond wanted to play for an Indian team

Ofcourse the international players in county are only playing for the money.
some younger ones use it as a learning experience eg new conditons and more games hopefully making them a better player.

But the ones already in international cricket are only there for the money.
Not palying for the team because they like them or were born there so ofcourse its money

Why else would they give up the chance to spend a few months more with family and relaxing away from game.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bond has done it for money... Its his personal decision, and no one has the right to criticise him for it.

BCCI and the cricket boards have taken this stupid stance and the ICC support them. Whats wrong with the ICL? Isnt the IPL going to be similar? Is that only those who are already in that cricket circle that should start all these commercial initiatives? Why cant some one like Zee create a league like this and change cricket?

ICL should not give up. They should run their own cricket now. Lets see how long people keep the ICL off.

Users who are viewing this thread