Next Codemasters game - Ashes Cricket 2009

Ashes Cricket 09 better than EA Cricket?

• Yes, it will beat EA Cricket games

Votes: 137 57.6%
  • No, EA Cricket is far better than this

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • Have to wait for trailer and features to release

Votes: 53 22.3%
  • Maybe Cricket 09 beat Ashes Cricket 09

Votes: 27 11.3%

• Total voters
Asking a nOObish question :-

why don't cricket games have player likeliness like football video games. For example Pes 10 doesn't have all the licenses but still they have player names and faces like Pes series. Agreed that Pes have the champions league licensed but their normal friendly modes still have the same players although the team names are changed ( example of the Barclay's English Premiere League). Although I know it has got to do with licensing issues but I don't understand the difference between the two instances. Can anyone kindly elaborate?

there is a ████ load more money in football

Agreed money is a factor but what does money have to do with player likeliness??

but I still feel that there is more to money than this. Comon creating right player models isn't big issue in todays times. I think cricket needs a big makeover in these aspects. Had Ashes Cricket had proper face (who cares about the names), they still add a lot of value to the game. It brings in more room for new fans who are taking up the T20 game to identify the players they see on television. Anyways I am glad Ashes cricket 09 has a start and hopefully they build upon and deliver big time!

If they create say a Tendulkar face that looks exactly like him, and they do not have the license, they can get sued.

But aren't most of the EPL players exact replica of real life. Then why aren't PES sued. I am sure there is something more technical in this aspect which I think both of us are missing a point here.

Last edited:
But aren't most of the EPL players exact replica of real life. Then why aren't PES sued. I am sure there is something more technical in this aspect which I think both of us are missing a point here.

because they have licence of Spain,England,Brazil,Argentina's national team and many other

yea we probably are.
How long do you think before they have each players action similar to real life? I mean that they use the motion capture for all cricketers. My guess is 10-15 more years.

i dont think they need to have everyones actions, but it would be nice to have a good number of the main bowlers of the top nations. Atleast 4-5 different bowling actions for pace bowlers, 3-4 for medium paces and 2-3 for each leg and off spinners.

if they do motion capture i would like them to do everyone except for andersons... that is a terrible action... that and shaun taits action. terrible lol

but I still feel that there is more to money than this. Comon creating right player models isn't big issue in todays times. I think cricket needs a big makeover in these aspects. Had Ashes Cricket had proper face (who cares about the names), they still add a lot of value to the game. It brings in more room for new fans who are taking up the T20 game to identify the players they see on television. Anyways I am glad Ashes cricket 09 has a start and hopefully they build upon and deliver big time!
Money is everything. More money means more people working on the game and more time to work on each aspect of the game, including the player likenesses. You will find that next gen graphics mean better player likenesses, as we saw in our playtest, but it will never be as big as PES or FIFA.

Money is everything. More money means more people working on the game and more time to work on each aspect of the game, including the player likenesses. You will find that next gen graphics mean better player likenesses, as we saw in our playtest, but it will never be as big as PES or FIFA.

But dude, when the dev start with a game, atleast getting the player faces right is not such a big issue. Or they could even provide with the face sensing system like that of Fight Night Round 4/ Pes Series where you can upload the photograph of the players or even yourself and edit the existing players. What I am trying to say that they should start of with player likeness only in the facial aspect and then develop the motion capture thing in the next one.

Also your comments primarily voice that money is the deterrent factor, so If a dev wants to create player likeness , they are free to do so.

i dont think they need to have everyones actions, but it would be nice to have a good number of the main bowlers of the top nations. Atleast 4-5 different bowling actions for pace bowlers, 3-4 for medium paces and 2-3 for each leg and off spinners.

if they do motion capture i would like them to do everyone except for andersons... that is a terrible action... that and shaun taits action. terrible lol

well exactly what I think. They have to start somewhere.

They should at least have some of the more unusual ones like Murali and Malinga?

Users who are viewing this thread