Next three IPL seasons to comprise 74 matches each

So Was It A Right Decision?

• Total voters

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
It might make more sense in letting your players go, and try to win them back in auction at a cheaper price. If Rajasthan choose to retain Warne, they are effectively foregoing 1.8 mn, which they can use in the auction to get much better players. Probably Warne in the auction might go for something like 700K-1mn, that would still mean more finances available to purchase other good players.

Remember, each team has 9mn to spend for its players, and they would all be looking to get 5 good players than 1 awesome player and 4 below average.

Yeah, in Rajasthan's case, it will make sense for them to let go of Warne and try to win him back through auction (if not, they can always get better players). But Chennai/Mumbai will definitely retain their icon players because losing them to other teams is not an option (considering the status of those two players, Dhoni and Tendulkar).

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Yeah, that's true, some teams will be in a dilemma - Whether the player is worth the 1.8 million opportunity cost or not. Agreed, Tendulkar and Dhoni are two players which will make the franchisees money in the form of branding, sponsorships etc even if the team doesn't win. They should be retained.

Delhi would be in a fix. They can't let go of Sehwag and Gambhir, but if they don't, they're 3.1 Million down, considering the rest of the Delhi players (domestic) are not even average, they would need money to get the good players.
We can actually calculate the number of players each team needs, total number of players in the auction, and what should be it's average cost per player. This can provide a good indication of whether a player is worth retaining, or should he be put in the auction and won back at a lower price.

Btw, when I gave the example of Warne, I wasn't suggesting anything, it was just an indicative example of what could happen. It's still too early to do the math and obviously the teams would be looking at their finances, and the finances of the other teams as well.

Last edited:

LongLegs?

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is it just me or is the cost to retain 4 players a bit too ridiculous?

I want to see some sort of similarity in the teams I saw last season in the next season, but with this ruling I doubt a lot of teams will retain players.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's interesting. The salary cap rules aim to discourage teams from hoarding good value players and keep the competition interesting for the weaker teams from year to year. Combined with the auction, it makes team selection not unlike a fantasy football league.

I would warn however that if salary caps can be dodged in other places, they can surely be dodged in India. Teams will have to meet market demand at auction, but for those big players they seek to retain long term, a strong team might be inclined to throw in deals under the table.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
It is, but retaining only 1-2 players will be much more expensive. Teams would prefer to retain 4 rather than retaining just 1 or 2.
When 4 are retained, the cost per player reduces to about 1.1 million per player.
If a team is risk-averse, and has 4 good players in the side, it might end up retaining all 4, and try to search for a bargain in the auction.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Maybe this tournament wont be soooo bad without Modi.
Modi's gone, right?

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Ipl 4 to be a huge hit wolithout the player burnout factor... My dad's freind is a member in bcci's some kinda committee and he said that there will be a rule like a player will just play a fixed amount of matches and need to be given rest for other matchea if he has completed his max matchea

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Who would Kochi and Pune retain? Isn't that unfair?

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It is actually an advantage for Kochi and Pune. The cost of retaining players is too high.

If they win the tournament, they would indeed win double the amount.:sarcasm

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Who would Kochi and Pune retain? Isn't that unfair?

Its not unfair. Players who were not a part of the previous IPL and who are going to be a part of the upcoming IPL, Pune and Kochi have the chance to sign 4 of them up for the same price that it takes to retain 4 players in each team. For that, they dont need to bid for the players at the auction. They can sign them up on a mutual consent just like how the other teams retain players. I am guessing lot of new players will be coming up for IPL-4. So they will have options. But I guess they are better off going into the auction and picking players.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Pune and Kochi will be given the chance to get in 4 players before auction, so that's not unfair.
If the teams were only 8, it'd have been a lot better.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
And I thought there was already enough IPL (when it never existed).:sarcasm

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Rajasthan are keeping Warne and Yusuf Pathan. I imagine Graeme Smith, Naman Ojha, Munaf Patel and Abhishek Jhunjhunwala are competing for the other slots.

Users who are viewing this thread