Nikon Shutter Release Error!

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well, first and foremost, I start threads for all the wrong reasons, at least for what the forum's made for.

I took out my Nikon D40 (not X) and started Shooting Photos as is my daily drill. I took about a good 40 photos, not all at once, but in 5-minute breaks, sure, and suddenly the shutter sound that goes after clicking a pic, (too obvious!) choked down half way through and i stumbled onto what you're reading now.

After a not-so, but yet brief search on the Internet left me with few options to consider, but are too varied on the feasibility of getting it repaired, or say the level of repairing needed for to get my Cammy back in Business.

I've tried giving a gentle push with my palm ovveerr the below part of the Camera, I know you say no to it, and I've tried taking the Lens off, back on, and the normal stuff i do over to clean the camera and timeless doing of what the error tells me to do, press it over and over again (in few cases, it worked!).

But i found after few messed up researches on it that a sort of a Spring is out of it's place. Or at least it surely sounds like it's out of place. I can guarantee it's a spring.

I doubt i can/need to fix it without opening the 8 screws on the below part of the body, and Check on what's wrong, more that i'll do more harm than i can get the better of.

The error applies to so many causes that occur; That pounds to the ground that I may have to send it to Nikon (and my cam warranty is in USA!:p) and might have to shell out about near $150 and still might end up getting it partially or completely unfixed.

Sorry, wrong place i know. But hoping a few Nikon/Tech users around here, and I know there are.

:)

Edit: Oh, the error actually, says : ERROR: PRESS RELEASE SHUTTER BUTTON AGAIN.

Main point miss out. Only KBC.

Last edited:

Abhas

Retired Administrator
It's a Digital SLR isn't it? Don't open it by yourself. Let the experts handle the device.
I had an old SLR, and decided to open it coz it wasn't working. Trust me, unless you're a pro with circuits, and camera design, you wouldn't be able to figure out a thing.

Try removing the batteries, pressing the shutter button once or twice without it, then put the battery back on. It's a wild shot. 99% it won't work, but you've got no other option :p

If you're 100% sure its just the spring, try to find some manual on the net, showing you how to dismantle the camera, and get to the spring.
If you do find one, and you feel fairly confident that you can do it, give it a try.
THIS WILL PROBABLY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

Now it's your call, spend $150 to get it repaired (hopefully), or $800 to get it replaced if something goes wrong (Hopefully not).

I know I wasn't much help on the topic, but just a piece of advice from me :)

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
No, Much Appreciated help abhas! The word on the Internet is go the safer side, put the cam Into the Professional's hands. But i doubt the repair would live up. I can't say but many people had this problem persisting them over and over again despite any repairs.

So i need to find a manual and look it up myself though i won't risk to open it up myself. But I'll study the case so it's better to know the concern than being in panicked state.

I love the camera, My bro gifted me last year. I don't think it's a serious issue, but on the contrary, I'd try not to risk it amap, and get it repaired safely.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread