Story npower Tests, Natwest Series, Natwest Challenge

Just read this thread for the first time and it's terrific stuff:cool: . That first Test was very realistic, going into day 5 an' all. Can England turn it round in the 2nd Test? Going to be tough batting on that damp strip...

Btw, the patch seems to play well?

Score Update
At Lunch Day 1
England 66-3
M. Butcher 24*
G. Thorpe 24*

H. Singh 2/11
Z. Khan 1/11

England got off to a horrible start, losing Trescothick in the very first over. The returning Zaheer Khan was given the chance of open the bowling attack, and he dismissed Marcus Trescothick LBW, in his very first over. Strauss and Butcher then tried to ease things, but then came in Harbhajan. The man of Patiala first dismissed Andrew Strauss, who was caught by Ajit Agarkar at cover. Harbhajan then had Michael Vaughan clean bowled for a duck. England reeling at 33-3 at this stage. But since then Butcher and Thorpe with their experience have helped England get to 66-3 at Lunch. Still lot of work to be done.

pic01.jpg

pic02.jpg

pic03.jpg

pic04.jpg

engscore_lunch.jpg

engbatting_lunch.jpg

indbowling_lunch.jpg

Score Update
At Tea Day 1
England 146-4
G. Thorpe 53*
A. Flintoff 36*
M. Butcher 37

H. Singh 2/25
Z. Khan 2/52

England have lost the wicket of Mark Butcher (37). The Surrey left hander was caught at slips by Rahul off the bowling of Zaheer Khan. This ended a 63 run partnership between the two Surrey batsman, Thorpe and Butcher. Thorpe was then joined by the strong Lancastrian, Andrew Flintoff. Before Lunch, these two have already accumulated another 50 runs, with Thorpe reaching another half century, and Flintoff unbeaten on 36.

pic05.jpg

pic06.jpg

pic07.jpg

pic08.jpg

engscore_tea.jpg

engbatting_tea.jpg

indbowling_tea.jpg

Score Update
At Stumps Day 1
England 290-5
G. Thorpe 135*
G. Jones 47*
A. Flintoff 45

H. Singh 2/47
Z. Khan 2/71

So thanks to Graham Thorpe's magnificent century, which was well supported by Andrew Flintoff and Geraint Jones, England find themselves in relatively healthy position at the end of the 1st day. Flintoff was the only batsman dismissed in the final session of play, when he was caught by Harbhajan Singh off Ajit Agarkar.

pic09.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg

pic13.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic15.jpg

engscore.jpg

engbatting.jpg

indbowling.jpg

ANALYSIS OF THE 1st DAY'S PLAY BY DAVID GOWER AND NASSER HUSSAIN - SKY SPORTS

David Gower: So after a fantastic day 1 here at Edgbaston, England have scored 290 for the loss of five wickets. The main contributor to that score was without a shadow of a doubt, Graham Thorpe, who is still unbeaten on 135. But he was well supported by Andrew Flintoff, Geraint Jones, who also is still not out, and also towards the start of his innings by Mark Butcher slightly, though none of them managed to carry on after getting off to good starts. Thorpe did, and is now 15 runs short of a 150. I have with me in the studio as always, Nasser Hussain. Nasser, good performance by England at the end?

Nasser Hussain: Yeah, definately. Keeping in mind that England were 33-3, and also the fact that the wicket is so damp, with ball suddenly keeping low, I think England have done extremely well to get to 290. Graham Thorpe has proved once again that he is such a great batsman. Its been almost impossible to bat on that pitch today, but he has really worked hard, and probably scored one of the best or rather one of the most well deserved centuries in history.

David Gower: Yes, England did get off to a horrid start. Trescothick was dismissed in the very first over. Strauss, who had a poor test match at Lords, once again failed here at Edgbaston. And Michael Vaughan, England's best batsman at Lords, was dismissed for a duck, thanks to an extra ordinary off spinning delivery from Harbhajan Singh. But then partnerships between Thorpe & Butcher, Flintoff & Thorpe, and the current unbeaten one between Jones and Thorpe, have taken England to a very good position. Remember this pitch is expected to become worse as the match progresses. Nasser, what do India do now?

Nasser Hussain: Well the pitch is almost impossible to bat on, so India might really want to ask themselves howcome they let England reach 290, on such a poor wicket. But I think India should try and get early wickets tomorrow. The fast bowlers can make use of the early morning dew to swing the ball more than they can later during the day. The first session is definately the toughest session, because not only does the batsman have to handle the low bounce on this pitch, but also swinging and seaming conditions. India need wickets, and they need them quickly.

David Gower: Thanks Nasser. And that just about wraps up our show. Join us tomorrow for the 2nd days play between England and India here at Edgbaston. Till then, its Goodbye.

always an excellent story from vaughan! how is the patch different from tutsi 5.4? im quite happy with it and i find batting about hard enough as it is.

Batting has been pretty difficult due to the combination of the patch and the pitch. Tutsi 5.4 is more bug-free, but the patch i am using will probably give you more realistic results. Let me tell you anthng above 300 on this damp wicket is a pretty good score. But Ive had to bat with a lot of caution, socring mostly on the leg side with singles. Fours havent come easily.

Good recovery by England from 33/3, led, of course, by Surrey's finest ;) :) .

Score Update
At Lunch Day 2
India 11-2
R. Dravid 8*
S. Tendulkar 1*

S. Harmison 1/4
M. Hoggard 1/7

England 335 all out
G. Jones 77*
G. Thorpe 139
A. Flintoff 45

I. Pathan 4/42
H. Singh 2/47
A. Agarkar 2/84
Z. Khan 2/87

INDIA TRAILY BY 324 RUNS

So another lower order collapse sees England dismissed for 335 after being 297-5 at one stage. But Irfan Pathan was the man for India, picking up four wickets including that of Graham Thorpe. Thorpe scored 139 before being clean bowled by Pathan. He was soon followed by Ashley Giles, Simon Jones and Matthew Hoggard. Steve Harmison did well though to support Jones at the other end before being dismissed LBW to Ajit Agarkar.

India themselves got off to a horrid start, when Virender Sehwag was clean bowled in the very first over by Matthew Hoggard. Harmison them dismissed Parthiv Patel, thanks to a good catch at gully by Mark Butcher.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

Last edited:
Score update
At Tea Day 2
India 85-9
I. Pathan 1*
L. Balaji 1*
S. Tendulkar 29

S. Harmison 5/19
A. Giles 2/39

INDIA TRAIL BY 250 RUNS

Well Steve Harmison ripped through the Indian batting, bagging five wickets. Giles picked up two crucial wickets, that of Laxman and Ganguly, while Hoggard obviously had dismissed Sehwag earlier. England had done very well to get 335, because India's collapse even with all their strong batting lineup, showed how tough it was batting on this pitch. Follow on seems inevitable for the Indians now.

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg

pic13.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic15.jpg

pic16.jpg

pic17.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread