Discussion Online Play General Discussion

Here's some feedback from a game that @kushari and I just played.

This was the third game we are playing together. The first two games (pre-patch) were not as bad as today's game.

Positives

Nothing that is different from offline play. A great game. The game, if you can get through it (now that the Black Screen of Death is solved) and if you can ignore the myriad bugs, is super fun online (if you play with someone you know). If you haven't done so yet, I suggest you try it.

Negatives

Where do I begin?

After listing a laundry list of issues in online gameplay, how can you say "nothing that is different from offline play". To me it looks like online gameplay is as different to offline gamplay as chalk is to cheese.

Fixing online gameplay has to be one of the biggest priority for Big Ant after loose AI batting (along with AI batsmen run outs) and bowling speeds due to fatigue factor are patches.

After listing a laundry list of issues in online gameplay, how can you say "nothing that is different from offline play".

The word above that explains how I can say that.

That statement referred to positives of online play versus offline. There is nothing better in online that doesn't exist in offline, except the enjoyment of playing multiplayer against someone you know (which was included in my sentence). The game itself is fantastic, and the positives in offline are the same as in online.

Was one of the players using wifi?

I got given "out caught and bowled" in an online game last night, playing a forward defensive shot that went straight into the ground. Other player's bowler just walked nonchalantly over to the ball, picked it up and it cut to the umpire cutscene giving my batsman out...

Pretty hilarious, but so stupid. Also got out "bowled" hitting the ball to cover. Same issue, straight to a cut-scene and the batsman walking away and I hit the cover off the ball to cover.

No idea who I was playing, some random... I'm not bothered by the online issues, but there's something odd going on for sure.

I suppose to track some of this down you'd need to get a few people who have recording equipment to be able to capture both ends of the same online game and compare what's happening visually on both consoles - whether for some of these strange dismissals you're actually just having one side see it as a perfectly normal dismissal, and something crazy on the other side because the game hasn't synced up.

@BigAntStudios Yes, I am always on WiFi..Its not possible for me to be on wired connection as my PS3 and Modem+Router is not near to each other. But I never had this problem while playing any other game online..I dont know about @arjwiz if he was on WiFi or wired connection. Does the game forfeit on its own after 02/03 warning close to each other?

Another very persistent issue I noticed, was that Umpire sometime call it wide even for balls which stuck the Batsman and not at all a wide..

Last edited:
I also noticed several of those issues, including bowling too many deliveries in the over. It seems that once you are no-balled (wrongly) for apparently (not) overstepping, the game gets seriously buggy. Also spinners and medium pacers getting no-balled for bouncers is very annoying.

Getting wided for balls hitting the batsman is also something I noticed one or two times.

Also the forfeit thing is annoying as well. Bowling is a nightmare in online mode and I think the bowling meter would greatly help reduce this. Also will make batting a bit more challenging because the bowler can control the deliveries better in a tight match. Would add to the excitement.

I had lots of fun batting in online mode, but bowling simply was disastrous for the issues listed above.

So far, attempted plenty of games online and completed only once to the end of match. Very disappointing. Lagginess, and connectivity issues must be at work here.

At the end of the month, my bandwidth/speed will increase again and will try the game online again and report.

Last edited:
I suppose to track some of this down you'd need to get a few people who have recording equipment to be able to capture both ends of the same online game and compare what's happening visually on both consoles - whether for some of these strange dismissals you're actually just having one side see it as a perfectly normal dismissal, and something crazy on the other side because the game hasn't synced up.

At the office we have dev kits side by side and can control the level of bad packets, dropped packets, speed, etc.. we can see what's going on and with wired connections there appears to be no issues.

I'm pretty sure the issue is with wireless play, things just go badly out of sync.

We did not test on wireless as we can't have wireless connected to the dev kits for security reasons. We will be testing the retail versions this week to try and pin it down.

and something crazy on the other side because the game hasn't synced up.

I think there's definately a disconnect, I was unable to hit any boundaries and yet he seemed to be clearing the boundary with ease, every time I thought I had hit one clean out of the park, a fielder "warped" there to field it. Especially as he kept changing the field EVERY ball (so annoying) so I was picking the gaps but there was always a fielder there to stop it?

Certainly what he was seeing/doing and what I was seeing/doing were two different things...

Especially as he kept changing the field EVERY ball (so annoying)
I'm thinking that there really needs to be a counter for field changes - or at least have a limit on the total time in a match that can be spent on making changes, instead of just having one off 30 second timers.

A limit on appeals per match would be nice as well - so people don't just hit that on every ball.

so people don't just hit that on every ball.

*guilty*

...but I was only do it because he was pausing EVERY ball to check the field, when I wasn't changing it at all. It was only a 5 over match... but yeah, I concur about the field-changes, especially in short-matches. Maybe one or two changes max. Make it a tactical thing, but he was doing it every ball and I think it was throwing the systems out of sync or something?

Played another online game today. My bowling wasn't bad in terms of wides/no balls this time, but when I was batting, I kept missing everything after some time. Even when playing the right shot which I am able to connect when playing earlier in the same match or offline.

Also the power button (L2) seems to be not registering sometimes, so I play a normal shot instead of a power shot. Very frustrating when chasing a high score and not being able to go over the top when I want to. Maybe it has something to do with not pressing the button at the right time.

One other issue: I noticed that the timer which counts down from 30 actually keeps going when I start my run up and I lose more seconds on my next attempt to set field. Is this timer for the entire over or only per delivery? Because I noticed it kept counting down from where I left off in the same over.

I will try later without wireless and connecting the ethernet cable .

Last edited:
I'm going to say something a bit crazy - so please kill me for doing so - but I liked in Ashes Cricket 2013 how the only fielding options that are easily accessible are general Defensive/Balanced/Aggressive - which in turn select from a range of preset fields based on the bowler type.

In an online situation - if both players have the same restriction of AI set fields within your choice of aggression - then you could really speed things up and minimise the need or want for changes.

I was. I can test with a wired connection as well if someone wants to play. That said, my wireless connection offers me about 60-65 Mbps. Is the auto-forfeit a bug or a feature? To us yesterday, that was by far the most annoying - the bugs were tolerable to an extent, and often just hilarious things we brushed aside.

Possibly, although some of the errors are not visual bugs (like the auto-forfeit). Also, @kushari and I noticed most of the same things (we discussed the bugs and were live commentating during the game). Both of us noticed the full-pitched shoulder-high no-balls. Both of us noticed the batsman being given out bowled when the ball only hit his body. I can't say if both of us noticed the same exact warping or not, but we did notice warping.

I also noticed several of those issues, including bowling too many deliveries in the over. It seems that once you are no-balled (wrongly) for apparently (not) overstepping, the game gets seriously buggy. Also spinners and medium pacers getting no-balled for bouncers is very annoying.

Getting wided for balls hitting the batsman is also something I noticed one or two times.

Also the forfeit thing is annoying as well. Bowling is a nightmare in online mode and I think the bowling meter would greatly help reduce this. Also will make batting a bit more challenging because the bowler can control the deliveries better in a tight match. Would add to the excitement.

All four things you said are true and are a concern for online - too many deliveries, the full-pitched bouncer no-ball, wides when it hits the batsman, and auto-forfeit. Auto-forfeit is the worst, and the forfeit rules themselves are too strict. Three wides is too little a trigger, considering how difficult it is to bowl and considering that playing this game should be a leisurely activity, not a test.

I'm pretty sure the issue is with wireless play, things just go badly out of sync.

Even auto-forfeit and the strict forfeit rules? I understand that you want to deter time-wasters, but three extras in an over is not too big a sin in my opinion, and it is often not done intentionally by players who have often playing online for the first time and have just realised that there is no bowling meter. At the very least, if you do decide to keep auto-forfeit, that option must be toggled off by default while setting up matches. The fact that the game isn't auto-saved means the entire time invested into the game is lost, or rather, it feels like it's stolen.

We did not test on wireless as we can't have wireless connected to the dev kits for security reasons. We will be testing the retail versions this week to try and pin it down.

Thank you. This is appreciated. No one can complain about you not supporting your customers.

I'm thinking that there really needs to be a counter for field changes - or at least have a limit on the total time in a match that can be spent on making changes, instead of just having one off 30 second timers.

I think the 30 second timer is per over and not one-off. Is there a way to save our most-used fielding positions as 'favourites'? If a batsman is smashing you towards covers and you want to search for an appropriate field, it often takes about 15 or 20 seconds. If you've done this as a bowler, a forfeit is offered.

Also, the fielding needs to be constant for every bowler and batsman (at least for every batsman) unless manually changed (field restrictions permitting, of course). Right now, it defaults to a different field each time the batsmen change ends or the bowler changes, even when you don't want that. The opponent is still trying to hit me to covers, no matter who the batsman or bowler. Considering the amount of times a bowler needs to change his field back to the same one as it was one ball before, this can easily run into the 30 seconds time limit.

A limit on appeals per match would be nice as well - so people don't just hit that on every ball.

Yes. Or just get rid of the cutscene. The umpire takes about three seconds to decide, and then the players take another three or so seconds to decide if they want to review or not.

One other issue: I noticed that the timer which counts down from 30 actually keeps going when I start my run up and I lose more seconds on my next attempt to set field. Is this timer for the entire over or only per delivery? Because I noticed it kept counting down from where I left off in the same over.

Yes this happens often. Each time you change a field, you lose an additional two or three seconds during the run up. This is crucial time if you've had to change your field two or three times an over, which itself is because the game doesn't keep the positions static (or just to confirm if this is actually your field, because without a fielding radar, there is no other way for a bowler to do so).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread