Overrated and Underrated Test XI

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Not so sure about that to be fair. Since Gambhir made his test return to the Indian team around mid 2008 vs SRI. In the last 2 years the only quality pace attack he has faced (home or away) was vs Steyn & Morkel recently. Other than that he has mainly be cashing on poor attacks on flat decks.

In that series Morkel exposed and apparant weakness in his game by coming aorund the wicket to him & Gambhir seemed to not know where his off-stump was. Basically he looked like the uncertain Gambhir in the 2009/10 series vs the Saffies - that struggled when he last encounted a quality pace attack on his debut vs AUS in 2004.

So the jury is still very much out on whether he can do well in ENG, SA & AUS againts those countries quality pace attacks.

You are right about Morkel finding a chink in Gambhir's armor, then again every batsman has one. I think Gambhir is mentally tough enough to cope with his weakness and do well against express pacers. He has got guts. I have seen him coming down the track to lee and Akhtar.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I was going to put ponting as over-rated but chickened out, haha. So well done howsie. (only in the respect that he's nowhere near the greatest test batsman that's ever played but gets touted as such from some corners)

I would agree Gambhir still has a lot to prove though before anyone can make a sound judgement on his skill. He certainly looks good, techniques all there, shot selection has come on leeps and bounds since he started (weirdly it's almost like twenty20 helped him with this) but I don't have any problem with anyone saying we need to see him on some pacey tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread