Pakistan to name new captain

I think he was VC for a bit, and if he is not, then he should be. Either way, whoever the next captain is, he needs an extended run in the side, at least the Tests in England against England and Aus. Thats the very minimum, you cant expect captains to come in and start winning outright, selectors and the public will have to be patient

Yes the solution to impatience is solid structures and long term goals.

True Dare, but you want to replace the best man for the job because certain players say so? The players who dont support him should be chucked out this instant, they are insult to cricket as a whole. What kind of players dont support their captain?

The way the situation went, it clearly indicates that if you are not popular with the team, then you have to resign. Surely this isnt right?

Well Pakistan have 2 options then.

1. Name Younis the captain and pray that he can get everyone on his side.

2. Name Younis captain and get rid of the the ones that are going against him. That would mean kicking out 2-3 of the players that are regulars in the 1st XI.

That is why Pakistan cricket is in deep trouble. Even when there is a clear #1 choice for the captaincy they still cant make it because there are people from withing holding things up.

Unlike picking Younis or Afridi, picking Butt would be a move that could benefit in the long term.

If there are players not supporting a senior like Younis then I'm not sure that Butt would be treated much better.

Well what they need is a leadership group of say 4-5 players. eg Yousef, Younis, Afridi, Kamran and Butt. Those players represent the core of the team.

This group comes together with the other selectors and they choose a captain and have Butt locked in as a VC in all forms until he is fully ready to take over the captaincy. Regardless of who is captain all can have input in the side to a degree but of course the captain has the final say.

From there you pick the side and if players don't want to play due to leadership they don't play and pick the best side. Players at the moment can vent their indifference to a captain because they know if they cannot unite them the board will sack the captain after a few bad performances. The way I proposed should send a message of either you want to play under him and for your country or you can find something else to do for a living.

Kamran and Butt are hardly the core. Kamran just got dropped for a test for not being able to do his job properly, Butt is in and out of the team on a regular basis. Asif, Aamer and Umar Akmal are more ensured of their spots.

yes but two are teenagers, Aamer has got enough on his plate trying to cement himself as Pakistans premier quick, Umar Akmal maybe in the future but isn't ready now and Asif isn't really captaincy material let him stick with his bowling.

Yes he did get dropped for his bad effort in Sydney but that was again more out of impatience than good management. The thing you need to do is get rid of that need to change all the time and make some good long term decisions that aren't changed at the drop of a hat. Otherwise things will get worse.

edit: Those players I mentioned were just an example if Kamran isn't fit to be in it don't choose him, all I meant was you need a leadership group and guys that are good leaders, good future leaders and good players so you can build the team around them.

Last edited:
Asif can't be the captain, he can only teach others how to take drugs and get banned from playing in certain places ;)

Umar and Aamer are too young to be leading the side so I think it's between Butt and Boom Boom or they can try giving it to Kamran Akmal, who knows he might change the whole scenario :p

Last edited:
Salman Butt was the vice captain during the 1st Twenty20 World Cup. Had an epic failure and lost the VC-cy. He did retain his spot though

Just when I thought we could trust Akmal he ended up having a poor game and that cost us bigtime. Former players say that his technique behind the wickets isnt that great.

Didn't Kiwis made someone captain in his debut match?

Pakistan should find someone like that :p

But Afridi nearly defended a target of around 200, while Yousuf with over 250 runs didn't even come close.

If Afridi was captain in the first game, we probably could have won - he has a certain spark or energy about him, which galvanizes all the other players.

Users who are viewing this thread