Pakistan to name new captain

Umar Akmal plays like young Jayawardena. Most shots to third man.

At the start of the tour, everyone was screaming 'Umar Akmal!' But now, at the twilight oof the ODI series, I have to say that while he's shown some promise, and he's obviously a very god youngster, he's got a lot of work to do, both in his technique and temperament.

Although, very few young subcontinent players do as well as he did on their virgin (:p) tour to Australia, so if he can just rein in that urge to hit every ball, he'll go alright.

He just hasn't been at the crease long enough to show what he can do. At least I caught a glimpse of what he could do over in NZ, but that aggressive side might perish as the runs continue to dry up.

Scrap Yousaf. I will say Afridi should easily the pick for ODI captaincy. PCB should talk to and convince Younis Khan to take over the reign in Tests. Yousaf should be told to concentrate on tests only and Kamran Akmal's should be kicked out of any form of cricket.

Scrap Yousaf. I will say Afridi should easily the pick for ODI captaincy. PCB should talk to and convince Younis Khan to take over the reign in Tests. Yousaf should be told to concentrate on tests only and Kamran Akmal's should be kicked out of any form of cricket.

I cant believe Pakistani people still want Younis as captain. Ever since Inzi retired Younis has been taking and quitting the captaincy. It cant be that freaking hard, you either want it or not. He has been sacked or quit the captaincy almost every year since Inzi left.

I cant believe Pakistani people still want Younis as captain. Ever since Inzi retired Younis has been taking and quitting the captaincy. It cant be that freaking hard, you either want it or not. He has been sacked or quit the captaincy almost every year since Inzi left.

Younis quit captaincy due to grouping in the team. There was a certain cabal in the team that wanted Younis out. Kamran Akmal and Shoaib Malik were the most prominent member of that grouping. Since these two players are most likely to be dropped, Younis should have no problems leading the team.
Also we do not have a single guy capable of leading our test team at the moment. Younis is the only choice.

Well there arent too many World Cup Winning Captains in our team.
Some of those resginations were his own faults, but the most recent one is due to the grouping in the team, and no captain wants to lead a team that isnt supporting him

Younis quit captaincy due to grouping in the team. There was a certain cabal in the team that wanted Younis out. Kamran Akmal and Shoaib Malik were the most prominent member of that grouping. Since these two players are most likely to be dropped, Younis should have no problems leading the team.
Also we do not have a single guy capable of leading our test team at the moment. Younis is the only choice.

Pakistan arent dropping Akmal anytime soon, as sad as that sounds. If he takes the captaincy now whos to say that there wont be any groupings again. It is unfair to Pakistan and their fans when they keep changing captains every series they play.
Younis is a good leader but I don't see him staying on for long enough to stamp his authority on the position and lead without question.

Well there arent too many World Cup Winning Captains in our team.
Some of those resginations were his own faults, but the most recent one is due to the grouping in the team, and no captain wants to lead a team that isnt supporting him

Will they be supporting him if he gets it again? I doubt it.

True Dare, but you want to replace the best man for the job because certain players say so? The players who dont support him should be chucked out this instant, they are insult to cricket as a whole. What kind of players dont support their captain?

The way the situation went, it clearly indicates that if you are not popular with the team, then you have to resign. Surely this isnt right?

True Dare, but you want to replace the best man for the job because certain players say so? The players who dont support him should be chucked out this instant, they are insult to cricket as a whole. What kind of players dont support their captain?

The way the situation went, it clearly indicates that if you are not popular with the team, then you have to resign. Surely this isnt right?

Well it kinda is. If half the players hate you and don't respect you, I can't imagine you'll be a good captain - no matter how good a player you are, or how good your tactics are. Because there is more to captaincy than on field tactics. It's about inspiring your players to play hard, it's about building confidence in your team. I don't think Younis Khan does this. One reason being that some of the players don't like him and the other being his reluctance to actually do the job.

It comes down to 3 choices for me:
a) appoint Younis - but if you do, you should also drop Kamran and Shoiab Malik. Get rid of the disruptors straight away and tell them that if they don't support Younis 100% they will never play for Pakistan.
b) appoint Kamran/Shoaib Malik - same as a) you must make sure those who don't support them understand that dissension and distrust is not on and you will be dropped if you don't support the captain.
c) appoint a compromise candidate like Yousuf or Afridi - maybe they won't be the best choice, but they have more chance of uniting the dressing room. Political parties make these kind of choices all the time.

Sounds like Pakistan are paying for the choices they have made in the past at the moment. I think whichever direction they go there is a compromise somewhere. I think the most important thing is whoever they go with they should give a young talent that is mature enough to be vice captain and groomed as a long term prospect like Michael Clarke is for Australia.

If you do that then it is a case of short term pain, long term gain. I would give Afridi the captaincy for T20 and ODIs and even tests if he makes himself available or else pick Khan or Yousef as Test captain and make the same young guy vice captain in all forms and groom him.

I think the most important thing is whoever they go with they should give a young talent that is mature enough to be vice captain and groomed as a long term prospect like Michael Clarke is for Australia.

Salman Butt right there. Pakistani Graeme Smith perhaps?

Salman Butt right there. Pakistani Graeme Smith perhaps?

He does play all forms of the game and although his test form is fairly average perhaps an increase in responsibility will mean increase in performance. You don't want him given the outright captaincy only to have it taken away if Pakistan play a poor series. Giving him some power will let him develop these skills further so he should be ready by the time Yousef, Khan or Afridi retires whichever one is captain.

Users who are viewing this thread