Pakistan to name new captain

:rtfl
Give it back to Shoaib Malik. He is longest running captain in this century for them.

I wonder what Yunus's ODI average as captain is, it's probably worse than Yousuf's.

I guess Pakistan miss Inzaman Ul Haq

The thing about Inzi was that he unified the team. All the players respected him, and there were no rifts in the team when he was Captain. Inzi demanded respect, and he got it from the players. Younus could have, but he lost the respect of the players, by quitting so many times. No one wanted to play under Malik I suppose, even though I thought he had loads of potential as a Captain. He did pretty well as Captain batting wise as well. Yousuf is an okay Captain, but captaincy is effecting his batting, and he is better suited as a batsman only, so he can just focus on his own game.

Afridi will make a good Captain for Pakistan, because he also demands respect, and all of the players seem to respect him. He also has the support of the whole Nation, and they won't go against him easily, as they do with others. He also enjoys it, and the team responds much better when he's the Captain, and really that's what you want. If the players are performing best under him, then he should be made Captain.

How about giving a bowler the captains cap?

give it a try PCB, the team is declining and the ex are criticizing like anything, it will be worth a try

kidding :p

Malik was a good tactical skipper, but I think the problem arose in the domestic Pakistan scene where he made his team deliberately throw a game in the T20 tournament so that they would have an easier team to face in the Semis. Many thought that was terrible sportsmanship, and so his reputation was tainted.

And yea, he's young. Senior players don't like that.

If Malik can lock his position in the side it should be him. Only lost the captaincy because he couldn't keep his place in the side as a batsman, nothing wrong with his captaincy, or at least did easily the best job compared to all of Pakistan's other recent captains.

Afridi retired from Test anyway. But the state of the Pakistan side, surely they could find a spot for him.

Wait I am sure he didn't I specifically remember him trying to get into the test team for the New Zealand series but the Pakistan selectors didn't want him to play on the test team.

BTW which bowler would we give it to? We got none that have played that much cricket lol.

Last edited:
Why not Shoaib Malik ? What was wrong with his captaincy in the first place ? In fact,it was Malik who managed to pick up the broken pieces of the team after the 2007 WC and build them up again.
After a bad showing against Srl, if you are gonna change and chop captains like potatoes and onions,what else do you expect.
Malik showed a lot of maturity and handled people well. Also,one must remember that Malik accepted the job after their Yunus turned it down as usual.

If Malik can lock his position in the side it should be him. Only lost the captaincy because he couldn't keep his place in the side as a batsman, nothing wrong with his captaincy, or at least did easily the best job compared to all of Pakistan's other recent captains.

I beg to disagree. Malik was poor captain IMHO. He couldnt unite the team and the players werent supportive to him. Before his captaincy he wasnt able to command a position in the Test format, and for a captain he should make the side comfortably. Also according to Yousef, Malik didnt respect the seniors.

The major flaw with Malik's captaincy was his inability to motivate the team. He was the same captain Yousef is, quite and at times unhelpful. As a captain you have to go to your bowlers and keep on motivating them, asking them their plans, setting them appropriate fields to suite them. Also Malik failed to put the required pressure on the batsman and was letting them get easy singles. As soon as the powerplay overs were done he use to keep about 5 fielders in the circle and IIRC he never put a slip for a new batsman during the middle overs. This is one reason I would prefer Younis or Afridi over him.

This is one reason I would prefer Younis

No one will disagree with you here. All of us agree that he is a very good captain, who has the ability to think on his feet, and can be innovative. But he has done this to himself, by giving up Captaincy three times I believe, and really... what else can the PCB do now? He should still be Captain, but the players are obviously giving him problems, and it's a sad state for Pakistan because of it. The Pakistani players have only themselves to blame for this situation that they have put themselves in.

Users who are viewing this thread