Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

Where was this posted that BA havnt broke even...if thats the case its really sad...This is the best cricket game ever and I am sure hard work will pay off...Hope the PC sales help and I am sure DB15 will be even greater hit...just need a bit of marketing.

.......And everyone to buy the game.....

.......And everyone to buy the game.....

Yeah, that *will* help. :-)

First iterations of games making their money back is incredibly rare these days: you have to play the long game, which is what Big Ant have said is their absolute intention.

You could even argue that big marketing on this one, a new product/new license, would have also lost money: it's very expensive (most console games these days will have at least the same money spent on marketing as development) so I think it was probably a smart move. Marketing the NEXT game on the back of all the positive press of this one, and having established a high quality mark, will help it a lot more.

Since the main issue for BA for not breaking even seems to be piracy (and is it really that surprising given how rampant piracy is in the subcontinent which is also their biggest market), why develop the PC game at all? Why not just focus on consoles (and maybe just next gen consoles) for the next version of DBC?

Since the main issue for BA for not breaking even seems to be piracy (and is it really that surprising given how rampant piracy is in the subcontinent which is also their biggest market), why develop the PC game at all? Why not just focus on consoles (and maybe just next gen consoles) for the next version of DBC?

Piracy is not the main reason: in all probability it's not costing a huge amount of lost sales. You just have to live with it (and enjoy taunting/ridiculing those who do it, obv.)

Neither is the subcontinent the biggest market: in terms of hardware penetration it is still way behind other markets.

I'd be looking at a subscription model for the small PC community: you pay a small amount each month in exchange for access to constant updates. Then release periodic console versions featuring all the improvements as you go.

Piracy is not the main reason: in all probability it's not costing a huge amount of lost sales. You just have to live with it (and enjoy taunting/ridiculing those who do it, obv.)

Neither is the subcontinent the biggest market: in terms of hardware penetration it is still way behind other markets.

I'd be looking at a subscription model for the small PC community: you pay a small amount each month in exchange for access to constant updates. Then release periodic console versions featuring all the improvements as you go.

Whilst the idea of a rolling "Big Ant Cricket" which developed over time as a subscription service might sound a nice prospect in principle, the issue is that many would then see all console releases as just being a money grab. A subscription service also runs the risk of people cutting their support much quicker. The one lesson that needs to be learned from the early access model that I've seen (and from the rolling service model) is that unless you have a very general game with a huge fanbase, people tend to play a game and think "well, that is that game then" and move on. You need to build hype about new release, and unleash it in one go. Yearly releases allows a company to do that, and if done simultaneously on all platforms, it will make sure none are gutted by the others being released earlier (as I have a suspicion may have happened to the PC version somewhat having come 2 months later than the console versions).

I definitely think that the PC release really needs to be long with the consoles to give the game the best chance of being improved quickly, as they can test changes with the PC players far quicker and make much quicker improvements before rolling it out to the consoles.

On the piracy front, I always find it odd that people always talk about it as solely a PC issue, when it exists on the consoles as well.

I really do hope the PC sales are strong enough to have justified continued support through the platform. With consistent small patches as well and let's call them, special bugs, they should hopefully be able to convince a few pirates to go legit, having basically offered the scum a demo version.

----------

Piracy is a problem exists on the consoles too you realise.

Pirated copies also don't tend to translate to lost sales, although they are scum and hugely annoying, most people who pirate would never a bought a game in the first place.

I am hoping that some of the scum are convinced by the introduced bugs and rapid patching of the PC version to go legit though.

Last edited:
I definitely think that the PC release really needs to be long with the consoles to give the game the best chance of being improved quickly, as they can test changes with the PC players far quicker and make much quicker improvements before rolling it out to the consoles.

This is exactly my point. If only a tiny % (as was the case with other cricket games) of your market is on PC, why not let them be constantly playing new versions and feeding back, finding bugs in exchange for not early, but permanent access? Then release a console version every year/every other year which would show major improvements?

By having these people on a subscription (let's say ?2 per month, which would mean that if a "release" version came every 2 years you'd only be paying slightly over the sticker price) and you got to help mould it, and got to play constant updates throughout? They're paying the same, it's in the developer's pocket (ALL of it) earlier and everyone wins. You'd also eliminate piracy because how do you "crack" something that is constantly changing?

I think you'd grow your community base, engender more goodwill and give players a sense of ownership: they can point to the console version and say "I helped make that". You'd grow your audience demonstrably.

----------

Also: I strongly suggest that we no longer refer to them as "patches". Patches have a negative connotation: they fix bugs.

After playing Patch 2, I'd say that we're into "improvements" instead of "fixes" and therefore "updates" rather than "patches".

This is exactly my point. If only a tiny % (as was the case with other cricket games) of your market is on PC, why not let them be constantly playing new versions and feeding back, finding bugs in exchange for not early, but permanent access? Then release a console version every year/every other year which would show major improvements?

By having these people on a subscription (let's say ?2 per month, which would mean that if a "release" version came every 2 years you'd only be paying slightly over the sticker price) and you got to help mould it, and got to play constant updates throughout? They're paying the same, it's in the developer's pocket (ALL of it) earlier and everyone wins. You'd also eliminate piracy because how do you "crack" something that is constantly changing?

I think you'd grow your community base, engender more goodwill and give players a sense of ownership: they can point to the console version and say "I helped make that". You'd grow your audience demonstrably.

----------

Also: I strongly suggest that we no longer refer to them as "patches". Patches have a negative connotation: they fix bugs.

After playing Patch 2, I'd say that we're into "improvements" instead of "fixes" and therefore "updates" rather than "patches".

What improvements do you hope too see in patch 3 then?

What improvements do you hope too see in patch 3 then?

Lol.

In the next update I'd like to see co-op, some changes to the "confidence" system as discussed elsewhere, and more user-feedback (optional, for the purists) as to why I played the right or wrong shot.

Lol.

In the next update I'd like to see co-op, some changes to the "confidence" system as discussed elsewhere, and more user-feedback (optional, for the purists) as to why I played the right or wrong shot.

Pretty good suggestions. I am really like the gameplay overall if I'm honest however.

I have a few suggestions to improve cricket academy however that said.

Does anyone know if CO-OP mode is going to be released in a DLC or something?.

I am not asking for it to be free, I'd happily pay for a DLC pack with fresh commentary additions and co-op mode :)

Very interesting points/perspective @Chief

The ongoing subscription model sounds very interesting, I guess the downsides I can think of are - the PC hardware changes over two years could be considerable, would enough of your subscribers keep up? And it would require a continuous team on that game - would that be sustainable at a small developer like BA?

I think also with ongoing "assets" such as the academy and the engine, plus as you say positive feedback regarding the quality of the game and ongoing support, DBC14 may not break even but it is essentially part of an investment in other DBC iterations and even other BA non-cricket games. (@Ross can consider this the first pre-order for Keith Wood Rugby Union 15)

Very interesting points/perspective @Chief

The ongoing subscription model sounds very interesting, I guess the downsides I can think of are - the PC hardware changes over two years could be considerable, would enough of your subscribers keep up? And it would require a continuous team on that game - would that be sustainable at a small developer like BA?

I think also with ongoing "assets" such as the academy and the engine, plus as you say positive feedback regarding the quality of the game and ongoing support, DBC14 may not break even but it is essentially part of an investment in other DBC iterations and even other BA non-cricket games. (@Ross can consider this the first pre-order for Keith Wood Rugby Union 15)

Good point on hardware. But this is speaking about the next version, which really has to be a layering of features/advancements rather than a retool, in which case you would think it would run on the same hardware.

And yes: it works as an iterative game, but even BETTER if you can borrow from others. The Academy is basically an improved version of the Rugby one, which one would hope would be usable across all their games now. That's the smart way.

----------

did you work for EA?:p

Hmm. Pretty choosy choosing of words there to make it sound like I was being cynical. :)

That's not how EA work... Not in the slightest.

No im gold with everything you said apart from the monthly subscription model that seems to be the rage nowadays, i would prefer to buy it like preorder in early access and own it than monthly bills. Also this way you can get a substantial money one time and spend it on development rather than letting it trickle, also if you go by monthly subscription the chances of people dropping out are high, i myself opted out of UE4 after checking the first month, probably try it out after another 6 months etc.

whenever you are in subscription model you would always feel like renting something, also you are at the mercy of the developers, they can shut shop anytime or keep modifying stuff to suit them at different stages..

Last edited:
No im gold with everything you said apart from the monthly subscription model that seems to be the rage nowadays, i would prefer to buy it like preorder in early access and own it than monthly bills. Also this way you can get a substantial money one time and spend it on development rather than letting it trickle, also if you go by monthly subscription the chances of people dropping out are high, i myself opted out of UE4 after checking the first month, probably try it out after another 6 months etc.

whenever you are in subscription model you would always feel like renting something, also you are at the mercy of the developers, they can shut shop anytime or keep modifying stuff to suit them at different stages..

OK. That's fair enough.

I just wonder whether people would be reticent to lay out $60 now knowing that the "finished" version is 2 years away...

Users who are viewing this thread