Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

You're saying you get an AI edge approx every 30 balls?

Anyone else have a similar experience??

I actually take far more wickets as catches to the WK than any other. LBW is probably the least frequent because I go around to the righties with my spinner.

Last edited:
Welcome to my club, we have badges...

I enjoy the mind games of bowling...

... Wait, I'm playing against AI aren't I. No minds to play with...

The point I'm trying to make is a lot of the tactics that work in real life can work in this game too. If you're content to bowl over after over of the same 1 or 2 deliveries, then expect not to see the results you expect. Instead, play intelligently. Mix them up, and bowl to a plan. Don't just bowl a delivery because it's different to the one before it, bowl it because you know exactly why you've chosen it.

For instance, if I am bowling spin against a batsman who favours flat bat, but is weak on the front foot or straight bat, I'll bowl a few deliveries to have him try to sweep etc. Then when he is expecting me to change it up a bit by bowling a slider, I bowl a topspinner instead haha! :lol

Sometimes you gotta hustle the batsman. Sure you might go for a few runs in the process, but that's the risk/reward. Eventually you'll get the payoff.

Last edited:
I enjoy the mind games of bowling...

Sometimes you gotta hustle the batsman. Sure you might go for a few runs in the process, but that's the risk/reward. Eventually you'll get the payoff.

Agreed, bowling in a t20 against pakistan on a crumbly pitch

Ball 1 - tossed up outside off batsman charges and smokes for 6
Ball 2 - same delivery, batsman tries to play from the crease through cover and misses
Ball 3 - short, arm ball (flat and quick), batsman goes the charge, no where near the pitch of it and scoops it high straight to deep mid-on

Tweaking yeah!

Last edited:
I actually take far more wickets as catches to the WK than any other. LBW is probably the least frequent because I go around to the righties with my spinner.

Don't really play career just tours and competitions so I tend to use a wide variety of different bowlers.

Find that I get most of my caught behind dismissals with spinners (cos the edges actually carry!) and I think the edge frequency is about right. It would be nice to have more variety though with edges to slip, gully or poppng up off the pad to the close catchers.

I think the problem most people have with edge frequency is when bowliing with seamers; which may explain why your experience seems to be different to others'.

Last edited:
An arm ball, that was pitched short (as opposed to on a good length or full)

I've never been able to bowl a flat quick delivery with a spin bowler...

The ai does it but I have no idea how.

That's what I want explained.

For a wrist spinner that would be the slider (LAS down) . The ball travels along a flatter trajectory (less drift) with the seam scrambled so it doesnt turn. The Arm Ball is the rough equivalent for an off-spinner.

You can use them when the batsman is expecting drift or turn, and by pressing RB you can bowl a quicker one if you wish edit.. may not be necessary. If the batsman is expecting turn, he may miss, and because its a straighter delivery, you can bowl them or get them LBW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delivey selection LAS down, length selection circle (short pitched)

I find that getting the LAS rotation correct is also important even though you're not trying to turn the ball. I don't use the bowling assists though so that part could just be mental.

----------

You can use them when the batsman is expecting drift or turn, and by pressing RB you can bowl a quicker one if you wish. If the batsman is expecting turn, he may miss, and because its a straighter delivery, you can bowl them or get them LBW.

Personally have never noticed the shoulder buttons to have any impact on the pace of the delivery for a spinner. The manual and tutorial certainly do not suggest that they do.

Would be a welcome addition for future versions though.

Delivey selection LAS down, length selection circle (short pitched)

I find that getting the LAS rotation correct is also important even though you're not trying to turn the ball. I don't use the bowling assists though so that part could just be mental.

I think that probably affects how much it zips into the batsman's pads, as well as trying to minimise the looping flight. I'll have to do a test sometime to see what effect there really is in-game.

----------

Personally have never noticed the shoulder buttons to have any impact on the pace of the delivery for a spinner. The manual and tutorial certainly do not suggest that they do.

Would be a welcome addition for future versions though.

Yeah perhaps I'm doing that un-necessarily. I agree though that the one thing this game lacks in all facets of bowling is the ability to significantly control the pace of the delivery to your preference.

What difficulty you playing on? I'd love that many edges

I have bowled around 80 overs with just 2 edges and both away from a fielder and then in the second inns bowling 110 overs i had 6 to the wicketkeeper and a number of close calls.

My view on edges is if you get more than one then you will get loads but this is very rare. Same goes for us, sometimes i edge to keeper a lot and other times not so much. I bet Ross is getting sick of all this edge talk over the last few weeks or so but if this is tweaked to near the same level as us then happy days.

I still make bad totals every now and then and so should the AI just not all the time like patch 1.

I would love some tweaks to how the AI stats work also, i have tested half way stats and near full and the difference is none in my eyes. You can play a lower team and then a good team and there scores are around the same, anywhere from 200 to 400 every time and they take ages to get out.

To be honest (assuming you are playing test matches against test nations) that seems like a pretty good range of scores from the AI.

Sure it'd be nice to have the occasional collapse or the AI run up a massive score on a flat deck; but if the worst thing that's happening is that the AI's range of scores is 200 runs between a "sub par" 200 and a better than average 400 then we should all be thankful!

And in test match they should take ages to get out... you've got 450 overs to get through 4 innings... that's more than 110 overs per inning!

I see your point and agree that patch 2 is overall miles better than patch1, i just want to see a bigger difference between say SA and Zim as there totals are the same. I played Zim yesterday and they made 212 and i was happy but there second inns was a nightmare and still not finished at 6 for 378. Now for SA they made 285 and 374 on same pitch. I would love to see more edges against say Zim than SA.

PS only one edge in two inns on a hard pitch vs Zim and 2 edges vs SA is just not right as i had 6 in two inns vs SA and 7 vs Zim. They are so close just needs to be even so the AI can still make under a 100 now and then. All test match.:spy

Users who are viewing this thread