Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

while we're talking about physics (several hours ago) maybe @Ross could discuss seam movement and it's apparent absence in the game?

also... i have noticed leg-break and left-arm orthodox both move like an off-break.

Totally agree.
As I mentioned before, if there was more seam movement, and perhaps slightly more swing and spin, it would reduce the problems with drives being played straight back to the bowler.
Outswing bowling would be played though the cover area and inswing through the midwicket region. There would also be far more edges, thus making the slip cordon more relevant.
This would be, I believe, such a small tweak to make, but have a very positive effect on the game.

This would be, I believe, such a small tweak to make, but have a very positive effect on the game.

What if it backfires? Wouldn't want too many edges either. The thing is if edges become prominent, I'm sure there will a cry to reduce them. It's a double edged sword for BA really. If they manage to find a balance, nothing like it. But I do feel it will be extremely difficult.

Last edited:
What if it backfires? Don't want to have too many edges either..

True, but at the moment the slips are pretty redundant. Introduce a 'touch' more swing and turn and more seam movement to bring the slips more into play. If you then play a swinging, seaming or turning ball straight back to the other end you will be more likely (than at present) to get an edge.

----------

What if it backfires? Wouldn't want too many edges either. The thing is if edges become prominent, I'm sure there will a cry to reduce them. It's a double edged sword for BA really. If they manage to find a balance, nothing like it. But I do feel it will be extremely difficult.

I only want the amount of slip and wicket keeper catches taken in DB cricket to reflect an actual game, nothing more. I feel adding a little more movement 'might' help BA achieve that. Who knows?

Ive maxed out one of my bowlers stats just to see if it makes any difference to bowling good seaming/swinging deliveries. Don't see much improvement. :spy

True, but at the moment the slips are pretty redundant. Introduce a 'touch' more swing and turn and more seam movement to bring the slips more into play. If you then play a swinging, seaming or turning ball straight back to the other end you will be more likely (than at present) to get an edge.
With my experience of playing online and being able to get plenty of edges (catching them is another matter), I don't think movement is the problem - it's just that the same kind of tactics to the AI just result in it leaving everything or being able to read it too well and smash you around.

The problem is that they have to find a way to make the AI give away a few more loose shots without upsetting what I think is the current really good balance they've got for the bowling difficulty.

Amplifying the differences with AI batsman mentality would be a good starting point I'd think.

With my experience of playing online and being able to get plenty of edges (catching them is another matter), I don't think movement is the problem - it's just that the same kind of tactics to the AI just result in it leaving everything or being able to read it too well and smash you around.

The problem is that they have to find a way to make the AI give away a few more loose shots without upsetting what I think is the current really good balance they've got for the bowling difficulty.

Amplifying the differences with AI batsman mentality would be a good starting point I'd think.

I must admit that I was only referring to playing against the AI. I've not played online. Do the slips receive a larger amount of catches than is possible against the AI or do they all go to the keeper?

Do the slips receive a larger amount of catches than is possible against the AI or do they all go to the keeper?
You can ask @blockerdave - and then stop listening before he talks about results.

The keeper is still massively overpowered - but yes, I get genuine slips catches to 2nd and 3rd slip. A majority of edges are to the keeper, but I would suggest that reflects cricket.

I tried to find statistics online which gave the percentages of wickets taken in the slip cordon, wicket keeper, bowled etc but was unable to come up with anything.
It would be interesting to compare the results with what is achieved on DB cricket.

humans don't seem to have a problem with the edging the ball :(

there's plenty of swing in the game... turn is also discernible but there is no seam movement.

there's this to remember - as a bowler you can control swing by choosing to bowl an in or outswinger. seam you have less control over, it's a function of the angle at which the ball hits the ground. but it doesn't appear to exist in DBC.

we shouldn't confuse the issues of generating AI edges, and the frequency of human edges, and seam.

other games have had seam movement, and they didn't make batting impossible. put bluntly, if Big Ant added seam and it negatively affected the frequency of human edges, that would be something that they needed to fix, not an argument for not having seam movement.

i would personally say:

human edges are roughly right, though we'd benefit from feedback regarding why we edge.
the AI edges are so infrequent i would say the system is broken/wrong.
i don't know what the variable differences are but they produce wildly different outcomes.

seam movement is non-existent, as in the game seems to have no provision for movement after pitching off the seam. i would guess this is something fairly fundamental to the game physics and could not be patched, so it's a hope to be added to a sequel.

my question was more about whether @Ross might discuss why it's missing, from a design point of view and we could discuss it. maybe similar to side spin off the bat they felt it made the game too difficult, or maybe it is in the system but suppressed for whatever reason and could be patched in...

----------

and in reference to @MattW's post - i had a real cover-drive edge problem today!! still won 3-0 though to bring our series to 3-3!

our first game was pretty interesting, where in our 1st innings we both managed to lose our only wicket to the first ball of the innings

Perhaps it's time to get back on pc version online and unleash my bowling prowess - batting...well that's a different matter :p

I have definately had more edges off my career leg spinner since patch 2 including a few to 2nd slip a couple through where leg slip/gully would be and even a couple of bat pad catches! And considering my skills are pretty low I imagine there will be more to come when I can get more turn! I always have a 2nd slip now and to the tail enders ill put in a short leg and leg slip! Fantastic stuff when you actually bowl to a plan and get rewarded for cricketing tactics!!

It's fantastic when you really get some amazing turn. Nothing better than pitching wide into the rough and seeing the ball zip back across into the stumps. I haven't seen anything as extreme as Warne, but turn is most definitely present and correct, despite some peoples' assertions.

if only the broken AI pacing (smashing the ball over fielders in tests and many other things time and again mentioned) and the broken Slip catches system gets fixed,This would make the bowling much more involved and enjoying,It is involved now but the involvement gets so rigged by the AI that one gets bored of it...

Users who are viewing this thread