Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

Less Scotland. More When is the patch out.

Do this shit right for a change, n00bs.

With less than a week to go for this patch 2 to release, maybe this is too late to note for this patch, but it's never too late for patch 3.

1) The more I am playing online the more bugs related to wide deliveries I observe. Most of the times a wide is given even when the batsman touched the ball. Has this been fixed in the upcoming patch?

2) Another bug is the momentary screen-black-out as soon as I hit a shot in online matches. I guess it's related to delays. Has this been fixed in the upcoming patch?

3) Also, most users are not being fair and not allowing the batsman even a couple of seconds to view the field before facing the next ball. A field indicator is increasingly becoming necessary. If rear-view cameras are used, the batsman's location on the on-screen field indicator should be shown to the south of bowler's end. And for broadcast cameras, the batsman's position should be shown north of the bowler's end. Anyway, suggestions aside, is the upcoming patch addressing the basic issue?

4) The challenge-the-decision system seems to be broken for both online and offline modes. Using the following decision tree, this may be handled more gracefully -

a) Firstly tweak the umpire AI to ensure that not all decisions given by the umpire can be correct. But while doing this, it is important to not break the umpiring system as only one decision review is possible in most cases. I don't know how this can be implemented but in simple terms, the wrong decisions should exceed no more than 5% of total out decisions, or in other words, the probability that the umpire's decision is wrong should not exceed 0.05. The first wave of decisions include leg-before-wicket, caught behind the wicket/slips, and run-outs; by the way, run-outs sometimes show the wicket keeper's glove not reaching the stumps but yet bails fly off, but I digress.

Next in line are the clean-bowled and caught in the field decisions by the umpire, when the bowler may have bowled a no-ball. Today, the umpires seem to be 100% correct in calling out a no-ball. We can either leave this as is, meaning the challenge-the-decision system is not needed for clean-bowled and caught in the field decisions, or tweak this, too.

b) Once umpire decisions are tweaked to be incorrect on random occasions, the internal review / replay engine that already "knows" the correct decision will come into play, of course after the player challenges the umpire's decision. A slight issue here is that sometimes the system can't correctly guess between leg-before-wicket challenge or caught behind wicket/slips challenge. I think the easiest way to solve this is check for both. If bat shows a nick in the review even though the original appeal was for leg-before-wicket, it's still out! If the original appeal was for leg-before-wicket but the review showed that the ball hit the bat first, it's a not-out (unless of course it was still caught by someone, but it is unlikely).

c) Run-outs situation is easier and should be handled the same way.

d) The system today is actually doing most of what I described above. But most importantly, if the decision after the replay/review is not what was originally given by the umpire, then umpire should change his decision after the big screen shows the reviewed decision.

5) Another observation is about the medium pacers. I find it extremely difficult to face their borderline dead balls or balls floating in air like a feather. I understand medium pacers ball slower than fast or fast-medium, but should they really ball like that and that slow? Is the upcoming patch addressing anything in this case?

6) Finally, I know the ground-ball-caught-out bug is fixed and that is going to be a life (match) saver. It's happening at least twice in a match these days.

Many thanks to BigAnt Studios and Ross for this otherwise great game that is on its way to becoming even better!.

:cheers

Last edited:
i love we have a actual person helping we can talk to and who listen to our concerns and fixes the bug. I understand the came cannot be 100% but improvement coming so quickly is definitely make me think that the future of cricket games are in good hands.

With less than a week to go for this patch 2 to release, maybe this is too late to note for this patch, but it's never too late for patch 3.

4) The challenge-the-decision system seems to be broken for both online and offline modes. Using the following decision tree, this may be handled more gracefully -

a) Firstly tweak the umpire AI to ensure that not all decisions given by the umpire can be correct. But while doing this, it is important to not break the umpiring system as only one decision review is possible in most cases. I don't know how this can be implemented but in simple terms, the wrong decisions should exceed no more than 5% of total out decisions, or in other words, the probability that the umpire's decision is wrong should not exceed 0.05. The first wave of decisions include leg-before-wicket, caught behind the wicket/slips, and run-outs; by the way, run-outs sometimes show the wicket keeper's glove not reaching the stumps but yet bails fly off, but I digress.

:cheers

The Umpire AI already makes poor decisions occasionally. I have been given out LB off really clear inside edges a number of times.

Particularly frustrating in FCC, where there is no review system ...

The Umpire AI already makes poor decisions occasionally. I have been given out LB off really clear inside edges a number of times.

Yup...I already mention it in my post - d) The system today is actually doing most of what I described above. But most importantly, if the decision after the replay/review is not what was originally given by the umpire, then umpire should change his decision after the big screen shows the reviewed decision....

I like the umpire decisions (apart from when it's an obvious bug). I always review (and occasionally overturn) when I can, so I know that at least a few would have gone my way that weren't right. Plus it's part of cricket.

Yup...I already mention it in my post - d) The system today is actually doing most of what I described above. But most importantly, if the decision after the replay/review is not what was originally given by the umpire, then umpire should change his decision after the big screen shows the reviewed decision....

It has done that for me (the umpire changed his decision). Apparently there's a bug where an "umpire's call" doesn't work the way it's supposed to, but I don't actually know the rules for how DRS is supposed to work in that situation.

I stopped watching cricket on television before that kind of stuff became part of the game.

I would like MS and Sony put up the status of upcoming patches of games. That way the system would be more transparent. Here, you have the CEO having to do all the communication which is a bit unfair.

Another thing regarding the Wides :

The ball will clearly be just a bit outside off stump and well within the wide line , and then it will still be called a wide.

Bouncers :
Bowling a bouncer first ball in an over will sometimes end up being recorded as the second one for the over , resulting in a No ball if another one is bowled.

Umpires :
In online Games , you can select which 2 umpires you want officiating , but once in the game , you allways end up with the same standard looking umpire.

Sorry if this has been answered, but has the patch #2 been re-submitted for approval yet? Assuming ETA to be 13/06, it should have been submitted already, but just checking.

It has done that for me (the umpire changed his decision). Apparently there's a bug where an "umpire's call" doesn't work the way it's supposed to, but I don't actually know the rules for how DRS is supposed to work in that situation.

I stopped watching cricket on television before that kind of stuff became part of the game.

Umpires Call should keep the decision with the Umpire: so an LBW with hawkeye showing the ball clipping off stump would go with whatever the umpire said, assuming that everything else fit (for example: if the umpire ruled out, the decision would not be overturned unless the ball hit the batsman outside the line of off stump while the batsman was attempting a shot, where it would be overturned). Generally: its to not get decisions that could get either way overturned: only those that are definitely wrong.

I'm going to guess that its fixed in the patch, but that's just a guess...

I would like MS and Sony put up the status of upcoming patches of games. That way the system would be more transparent. Here, you have the CEO having to do all the communication which is a bit unfair.

I don't think they do that for any game, let alone Cricket!

Umpires Call should keep the decision with the Umpire: so an LBW with hawkeye showing the ball clipping off stump would go with whatever the umpire said, assuming that everything else fit (for example: if the umpire ruled out, the decision would not be overturned unless the ball hit the batsman outside the line of off stump while the batsman was attempting a shot, where it would be overturned). Generally: its to not get decisions that could get either way overturned: only those that are definitely wrong.

I'm going to guess that its fixed in the patch, but that's just a guess...

Umpires call on LBW works as if the ball is hitting less than half the stump (if given not out) it will stay with the umpires decision, but it just has to be clipping if the LBW is given out.

Users who are viewing this thread