Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

Can we have a bit more time between point where bowler delivers ball and it reaches the batsman for quicks so that there is more time to pick the line...I dont know how can it be achieved but may be increase length of pitch

Sort of defeats the purpose of pace bowling doesn't it. There could be some kind of delay added in for the easy difficulties, but you really need to play pace like... well... pace.

I think if the indicators for line and length were swapped around it would make batting easier. The changes in the fullness of the ring is too subtle when playing pace to react in time.

I've also noticed that pitch conditions don't really seem to vary too much. I remember playing Shane Warne (Brian Lara) '99 and things played very differently (and credibly) across the pitch types.

Damp: It kept low and you couldn't quite get the pace (insinuating the bowler wouldn't quite be able to generate so much pace running in on the wet). Spinners fairly ineffectual except for being a change of pace to using pace bowlers.

Green: Much more lateral movement off the pitch for pace and spin. Seemed to be a smaller timing window, so more wickets fell.

Normal: A good balanced pitch for batting and both bowling types, leaning more towards pacers than spinners.

Hard: More bounce, pace and a smaller timing window for facing the quickest bowlers. Could really crack the ball off the bat too.

Dusty: A bouncy spinning wicket, where you needed to get your timing much more on the money for facing the spinners and pace still had something to offer although it was noticeably better to have an extra spinner for these games. The ball could be thumped well if you timed it, but that was again slightly harder to time than Normal.

All of these wicket types played fairly accurately to how they promised back then and made the game all the more enjoyable. The ball travelled off the pitch in ways that directly related to the selected conditions.

I'd almost recommend having a few of the BA guys playing a couple of games of that old classic on various conditions and seeing just how well balanced those differences are.

I love the current game and yes it's cricket as we've never seen before, although the best things in life have a little of the old and a little of the new.

Great post. It would be great to see conditions reflect stadium location too, like Shane Warne cricket. Grassy pitches in England, dusty pitches in the sub-continent

Yes it may well be the differences in pitch conditions are there and are realistic but in video game the differences need to be exaggerated slightly so we can appreciate them?

Ah yes, the old "game v reality" argument. I think the first thing they need to do is get the balance of the gameplay just right, then start making some exaggerations, even if it's simply an option (like quick pick deterioration or whatever it's called).

All more things for the next iteration I guess.

Sort of defeats the purpose of pace bowling doesn't it. There could be some kind of delay added in for the easy difficulties, but you really need to play pace like... well... pace.

Agreed. I think going back to the game pre patch one, post patch one and now there are always a few who wi struggle.

I also wonder how much player stats assist in this regard. I had a three year career so far prior to patch two and I got to the international stage Via some poor ai batting and an average of around 10,with the ball. Batting wise I exploited the poor ai fielding and often came to the crease when the bowlers were fatigued and slow. Even then I didn't have great skills in batting. I think between the ai improvements and my skill level I'm fairly stuck. Might have to give up on this career and start again.

okay one more thing

after patch 2 .. are the fast bowlers bowling more short pitched delivery ?

i got 2 overs back to back of short pitch delivery in a county match

that too from around the wicket ..

please tell me guys how to change or select player name sound?
i saw in cricket academy,but there is no option in don bradman cricket 14!!! please guys help me,and also there is no option of stadium which i also saw in cricket academy beta!!!

There should be a rule on the amount of exclamation marks allowed in a single post...

There should be a rule on the amount of exclamation marks allowed in a single post...

are you concerned about the minimum threshold???!!!!!!!!!!!! or the maximum???!!!!

the suspense is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've played the game since April and have got a pretty good handle on timing but the pull & cut shots still go in the air. I hit "Match Practice" to see if it was the timing issue but I got 'Perfect' feedback for both footwork and timing, and still the ball went into the air everytime. Before the 2nd patch the balance was perfect for these shots, i.e. if I nailed these shots, they went along the ground and if I mistimes I was caught by Square Leg/Mid Wkt/Forward Square Leg (Pull/Hook) or by Gully/Slips (Cut).

Playing the shot along ground using an additional trigger (R2 & L2) is not a solution either as these triggers are meant to play aggressive shots, which I'm not. It should be the other way round - if you use triggers for an aggressive shot there should be more chance of the ball going in the air and not when you play a regular pull or cut shot.

The main problem I face is that it's literally become impossible for me to get past 30s or 40s in career mode now. Earlier I was able to score an odd 100 with an average of mid 30s in odis (intl) and 37 in T20Is. But since the patch as soon as my career player gets a start, AI puts one of the following two fields....

Field 1: Backward Square Leg, Square, Square Leg, Mid Wkt, Mid On or Long On, Mid Off or Long Off, Cover or Extra Cover, Point or Backward Point, Third Man

Field 2: Fine Leg, Forward Square Leg, Mid Mkt, Deep Square Leg, Mid On, Mid Off, Extra Cover or Cover, Point or Backward Point, Gully.

With these two fields you can't do much against pacers. You can't play on the leg side as you don't have enough time to change your shot when they throw in the short ball which is taken by one of the leg side fielders, and playing on the off side is a lottey as you get caught in the cover region or edge it behind. Cut shot is out too due to point/backward point or Gully/Third man as the ball carries to these fielders.

Essentially batting becomes russian roulette after you cross 20, if you are lucky, coz sometimes AI puts these fields at the start of my career player's innings itself. Before patch 2 I could play on the leg side and take 1s and 2s before AI reacted and opened another gap but now I can't as short ball being hit in the air everytime takes it out of equation. In shorter formats (odis & T20s) I don't have an option of blocking the field till AI changes the field as run rate is an issue. Before patch 2 there was a way to build an innings if you timed everything well, but not so anymore as even well timed shots are hit in the air and you end up being dismissed.

A touch disappointed coz if the leg side flicks & glances could have been fixed the way they have been in this patch, without changing the other shots and keeping them as is, we would have had a near perfect game.

Agreed. Tried hitting the 'Practice Match' and my results were consistent with yours.

Edit: I would request Big Ant folks to adress the issue of some of the shots being hit in the air everytime (pull/hook & cut) as part of Patch 3 gameplay balancing. I see this concern as a much bigger problem than poor field sets or any other remaining issues as it takes away from the realism. You want to build your inning by keeping the ball on the ground in Tests, which is not that feasible unless you cut out most the shots.

Thanks for posting this. If I post similar views I usually get berated by a certain individual on this forum.

First of all Hats off to the best developers of the best cricket game in the recent decade. Probably u have already given bed wetting nightmares for other aspirants of this LOB with these abundance of options and quality.

I was one of the thousands waiting eagerly and checking my PS3 every day for the new patch and u guys even gave a massive tease with the change log. The most attractive catch was the batting tuneup and the AI tune up, and a bowling allrounder like me had my tails up with dreams of notching hundreds after hundreds as a shahid afridi in his red hot peak form.

I finally got it downloaded today and played 3 OD internationals and one 1 FC. I was a shahid afridi in all those games no doubt in that, but which afridi turned out for batting has made me type this longgg soap.

I performed the following : I ODI : 2/13 (10), 0 (5) , II ODI : 3/13 (10), DNB ,
III ODI : 1 (9) , 1/17 (10) FC: 30 (26) , 0/5 (3) ( Game in progress)

With no disrespect to your efforts and these changes, my sincere suggestion would be making that batting technique a little forgiving in this game. Earlier my only money making option was the cut over the keeper and in third man region. Atleast i would make 20 out of first 10 balls and ill score another 5-9 out of next 6 balls and get out. Now if i try that, i either miss or out caught behind or bowled with an inside edge.

The problem is i cant spend time in playing the ball properly and i am extermely impatient as i can play this game only for an hour or a couple, that too when my best half is not available or when i start to office.

For all the friends suggesting to start a new career with lower difficulty or other suggestions, i want to thank in advance, but this is just a layman's view on this new patch. (and a humble request.. Any tips or a loophole to score better is always appreciated ;).

Bro, if you want to bash it around, turn the difficulty down. That's the only sensible option. If they make Pro (as an example) easy enough for casual gamers to jump on and smash it around then what's the point in calling it Pro?

I think if the indicators for line and length were swapped around it would make batting easier. The changes in the fullness of the ring is too subtle when playing pace to react in time.

I've just turned the ring off, to learn how to pick line and length with just the ball (and the trail). So far as an experiment it's going OK - I'm not playing any worse than I was with the ring, at least.

One of the things I found is that relying on the colour of the ring gets me in trouble - I play forward to green balls that are short enough of a length to hit them in the air (and often used to play back to yellow ones, because "IT'S NOT GREEN!")

the game now seems to be "the age of machines".... seriously batting even more difficult than before!

I disagree, I find batting a lot easier now compared to pre-patch 2

For me at least, Bowling is slightly more difficult and the batting is slightly more easier which is a perfect fit for me currently.

I disagree, I find batting a lot easier now compared to pre-patch 2

For me at least, Bowling is slightly more difficult and the batting is slightly more easier which is a perfect fit for me currently.

Weirdly, I found batting slightly easier immediately after the patch came out (my 16 year-old got 97 in his 4th innings!) but playing more has meant I'm now struggling again.

I've decided to make it even harder by turning off the aerial marker.

Users who are viewing this thread