Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
...you have to @Ross for him to see it, do it properly.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I love that bit at the end...''Um...Maybe wanna work on the physics ah little?'' :lol

Rowdoss

Club Captain
So is that a defensive block? With the right trigger fully applied, well before foot and bat inputs? That has never happened to me in 40+ hours post patch 2 batting

ashidashraf

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
~Hello there,

I have noticed a bug (I think) i was playing a 3 team league (50 over) and i was pakistan against india on pro level. I saved the game when india were batting on 75-1 of 15 overs, went back the next day, loaded the game, and the screen where you choose your team it didnt allow me to choose the difficulty setting, i was trying to presx the "X" button, but the screen wasnt allowing me to, so i had to finish the rest of the game in Amateur mode which got quite boring...

I have the game on an xbox360 and i have patch 2 installed

I hope this helps

Riz
Its not possible to change the difficulty when you a load a saved game.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
What should I have done different here, Biggs?

I've never seen that, and I've been playing this game for months and have never been out like that and the only time I've been out defending was playing late, and edging it onto the stumps or through to the keeper. I'm guessing you were too late on the shot, but since there's no pre-shot roll of where the ball pitches and so on, I can't tell.

I would say, you simply played the shot too late.

ellgieff

Club Captain
So is that a defensive block? With the right trigger fully applied, well before foot and bat inputs? That has never happened to me in 40+ hours post patch 2 batting

It wasn't applied well before foot and bat inputs, because I don't predetermine shots even to that extent. Just quietly, I wasn't aware that choosing to block before you choose to play was required.

It's possible that R2 wasn't pushed all the way down when I selected the shot, so that it's a push rather than a block.

And if I'd been playing a drive with that timing I'd still have expected it to hit the deck a few feet in front of my boy, not get anywhere near the bowler in the air.

Another possibility is that the graphical representation is borked, so that the physics model had my bat much further through the shot when the collision was determined.

The times I've had the ball pass completely through the bat (this has happened both to me while batting, and to AI batsmen I've been bowling to) as if it wasn't there suggests to me that there's a bug in the physics, which gets exposed by the timing and shot selection of some of us, but not by others.

It's offensive to suggest that I simply need to get better at the game, though - there's clearly something not quite right in the above video.

Rowdoss

Club Captain
I've never seen that, and I've been playing this game for months and have never been out like that and the only time I've been out defending was playing late, and edging it onto the stumps or through to the keeper. I'm guessing you were too late on the shot, but since there's no pre-shot roll of where the ball pitches and so on, I can't tell.

The only time I have ever seen stuff like that happening is when I have been rushed in my defensive shot and have applied the right trigger halfway through my shot or at the end, therefore playing more of a "push" than a block.
Im like you, if im right with my timing the only way ive been out is playing the wrong line.

It wasn't applied well before foot and bat inputs, because I don't predetermine shots even to that extent. Just quietly, I wasn't aware that choosing to block before you choose to play was required.

It's possible that R2 wasn't pushed all the way down when I selected the shot, so that it's a push rather than a block.

Yeah that's why I asked, im sure it DOES matter. I may be wrong but they claim the defensive trigger is pressure sensitive. I have no idea about the animation physics stuff tho

Last edited:

ellgieff

Club Captain

I played a defensive shot _late_, and scooped it up into the air?

I only completed first year physics, and even I know that this is a ridiculous suggestion. If Newton wasn't dead, he'd be spinning in his grave (and probably scratching really hard on the lid)

----------

The only time I have ever seen stuff like that happening is when I have been rushed in my defensive shot and have applied the right trigger halfway through my shot or at the end, therefore playing more of a "push" than a block.
Im like you, if im right with my timing the only way ive been out is playing the wrong line.

I think there's a circular argument here. You're saying the only time you've been out with "correct" timing is by playing the wrong line - and I'm pretty sure how you know the timing is "correct" is because you didn't get out to the shot.

There's no feedback on timing aside from the graphical representation, and the result. We _know_ there are bugs in the physics (see also: the ball going completely through the bat) and I think Occam's razor slices this example in a way other than "you got the timing wrong"

----------

I love that bit at the end...''Um...Maybe wanna work on the physics ah little?'' :lol

Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed about that. I know better than to try and bughunt from the front-end.

Back seat coders annoy me in my professional life, and I'm ashamed to have been one in this situation.

Rowdoss

Club Captain
I think there's a circular argument here. You're saying the only time you've been out with "correct" timing is by playing the wrong line - and I'm pretty sure how you know the timing is "correct" is because you didn't get out to the shot.

Yeah I understand your point. I guess when we get out we never know for sure how the timing is. It looks like its good and you draw an edge because you've played down the wrong line.
My hunch is that in your video example, Its a case of half pressing the right trigger halfway through the shot, playing a push rather than a block..But I maybe wrong.

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
It's offensive to suggest that I simply need to get better at the game, though

Why is it? If it's an ego thing it's your issue, not anyone elses. I'm no pro at the game and I LOVE getting thrashed by Matt, or anyone else. I'm learning how to bowl all the time, especially spin because I want to get good at it. I don't have all the answers, but I'm telling you I've never seen that happen, ever when I bat and I'm barely ever caught and bowled. That's simply all I can tell you, I don't find batting all that hard anymore... am I good? I'm okay. I play on PRO and find it pretty much the perfect mix of challenging and rewarding. PRO bowling, is a nightmare... and I get thrashed. It's my issue, not the games.

I only completed first year physics, and even I know that this is a ridiculous suggestion.

Cool, whatever. If you're going to go off the deep end I don't care. I'm telling you what I'm seeing/guessing because your "evidence" is inconclusive. You have an issue, fine. It's not a bug because so few people are experiencing it. It's not like the fielding balance issue prior to patch 2 that EVERYONE was experiencing, this is a limited few people, I'd suggest you drop down a level when batting and try the same timing/shots to see if you get the same results, maybe? My guess is, you won't. But it's just a guess, everyone is different. Not everyone plays games the same way.

I wasn't aware that choosing to block before you choose to play was required.

Not but if it's common sense that you pre-meditate a defensive shot to a certain extent, especially against the fast bowlers otherwise you're going to get murdered in career mode early on because your career player, sucks, basically.

As you progress, it gets easier to have quicker reaction times when playing defensively with the triggers and in fact, you can get pretty lazy with them. Also, what is your front-foot skill level like? The higher it gets, the easier it is to execute front-foot shots (including blocks) more effectively. If you're too early, or too late on those shots, you'll get punished. Once you increase those "power-bar" things, it gets much easier to time the ball correctly, but it takes patience and practice.

Like I said, I'm not pro. But I'm not experiencing, nor seen, that happening on PS3 or PC.

Ever.

D

Deleted member 9102

I have definitely seen some odd looking ball trajectories off the bat - yesterday I played a shot with what looked like a square drive animation (first time I've seen it, used back foot to slightly full one outside off, was trying to late cut it) where the bat was angled about 30 degrees towards the ground, the motion of bat to ball was downwards and it was middled, got plenty of pace on it and would have raced to the boundary...

But it got caught, because the ball behaved really oddly - despite all factors of the bat on ball impact making it look like the ball should be hit firmly into the ground, the ball had an odd trajectory that stayed 1-2ft off the ground all the way to the fielder, and looking at it closely it had top spin on it. It looked like the arc a tennis top spin shot would take, but there was no upwards impact on the ball to create this.

My recording software (Shadowplay) got disabled when I updated my drivers and I forgot to turn it back on so didn't capture this, but if it happens again I'll be sure to post it.

ellgieff

Club Captain

I played for at least eight hours a day for four weeks after I first got the game (I was between employment at the time). I never saw this before patch 2.

As an aside, the "if you're going to go off the deep end" stuff is offensive. You're making assumptions about who I am, what I do and how I'm feeling that you have no evidence for.

I'm not claiming the batting is impossible. I do OK, particularly given that I keep restarting career mode in order to learn how to bat better (and have turned off the aerial marker - I'm doing reasonably well judging line and length with just the ball to watch)

I'm saying, with solid evidence, that something about the tweak to batting in patch 2 produces some strange results in certain situations.

If it's as simple as requiring my guys skill bars to be higher, in order for batting to be less of a lottery, then how about you stop saying it's down to player skill?

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The key is to understand that the graphics are not tied to the physics.

The physics is run and the graphics are a representation of that in 3D. There may well be bugs in the graphical representation, agreed, however the underlying physics are reasonably true.

The ball through bat, etc. are issues with frame rate and the speed of the bat. The physics model sees a miss, the graphical representation is that the ball went through the bat as the bat has not been rendered fast enough.

ellgieff

Club Captain
The key is to understand that the graphics are not tied to the physics.

The physics is run and the graphics are a representation of that in 3D. There may well be bugs in the graphical representation, agreed, however the underlying physics are reasonably true.

The ball through bat, etc. are issues with frame rate and the speed of the bat. The physics model sees a miss, the graphical representation is that the ball went through the bat as the bat has not been rendered fast enough.

kk, thanks :)

That makes me want a hud (or some kind of feedback) about the actual physics even more - I can't correct what I don't know I've gotten wrong.

The result here would lead me to think I was _early_ on the shot, but the only feedback available to me is that I got the timing pretty much spot on ...

Users who are viewing this thread