Not open for further replies.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
On the Subject of stuff thats lost.

I`m now slowly making peace with the fact that Big Ant have lost any interest in the Online Side of the Game, or for that matter any Side of the Game.

The Running between the wickets was never touched , heck in Online we can still not even get rid of Ross`s face as an Umpire !

Veteran and Legend has been made to be a knick everything outside off fest , so guess where everyone bowls exclusively , just cycling between the Slow Green ball and the Fast green Ball.....

Yesterday evening had a close look at it again , and found that even Ideal Footwork, Good Timing and Ideal Shot Choice outside off still gets nicked off. Why did Big Ant decide that only ideally timed will not be knicked off when playing through the cover ??? What a great decision :( How the f&^%^% must we play in a Pro20 , leaving it ?

I sort of hoped in the Pro20 Format that they would have loosened the knick a green ball approach , but sadly not. It plays the same online whether in a Pro20,ODI or Test.

Off to Pro I guess ...

Freaking frustrating way of going about things.

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
As @Dutch has suggested this is it for Ashes now, this is more of a next iteration thing but I’d like it to be looked at how the AI plays so much to the leg side without penalty.

My hunch is the AI tries to find gaps, but it’s too crude. If you have slips/gully the AI thinks this is an offside heavy field and tries to work to leg, but it may be (depending on how many slips) there may be little difference in terms of fielders in front of square.

It forces you to bowl to wide because anything from 5th stump and straighter can be worked to leg with no “across the line” penalty

Wealey

ICC Board Member
As @Dutch has suggested this is it for Ashes now, this is more of a next iteration thing but I’d like it to be looked at how the AI plays so much to the leg side without penalty.

My hunch is the AI tries to find gaps, but it’s too crude. If you have slips/gully the AI thinks this is an offside heavy field and tries to work to leg, but it may be (depending on how many slips) there may be little difference in terms of fielders in front of square.

It forces you to bowl to wide because anything from 5th stump and straighter can be worked to leg with no “across the line” penalty

Just a thing on this, when I massively lowered the glance stat, they didn’t do it as much and if they did it would cause them issues!

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018

TBH I think a large chunk of the game-play mechanics just need to be rewritten from the ground up, AI shot selection and how that plays out being one of them. They've probably just about got the best out this current code-base but a lot of it doesn't allow for modelling of a large number of cricket's intricacies. A good example of this was when we had the "fun-house seam" patch and the AI batsmen knew exactly where the ball was going to seam to every time. The fixed "scripted" run-rate targets are another thing that I would like scrapped.

I know it would be a risk, especially with Ashes currently being more playable than a cricket game has ever been (offline excepted I gather) but could be worth it for some much deeper game-play. Obviously no idea what their plans are but if there is a significant gap till the next game I'd rather get something revolutionary than a slightly improved Ashes. Of course would also be happy to provide in-depth suggestions if they wanted them too.

D

Dutch

I think the one thing is clear and has become very clear for me is that Matt is absolutely as passionate about getting it right as we are and has worked his tits off to get where we are. He has rowed with the oars he had and I am very optimistic that the game will see a significant deepening of game play and ai awareness in a next iteration.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
TBH I think a large chunk of the game-play mechanics just need to be rewritten from the ground up, AI shot selection and how that plays out being one of them. They've probably just about got the best out this current code-base but a lot of it doesn't allow for modelling of a large number of cricket's intricacies. A good example of this was when we had the "fun-house seam" patch and the AI batsmen knew exactly where the ball was going to seam to every time. The fixed "scripted" run-rate targets are another thing that I would like scrapped.

I know it would be a risk, especially with Ashes currently being more playable than a cricket game has ever been (offline excepted I gather) but could be worth it for some much deeper game-play. Obviously no idea what their plans are but if there is a significant gap till the next game I'd rather get something revolutionary than a slightly improved Ashes. Of course would also be happy to provide in-depth suggestions if they wanted them too.
I agree with this. If they want to just pump out another Ashes games then release it as DLC. Otherwise they need to take what works and throw out what doesn't. Deeper gameplay and immersion would be great but it would take courage to start again. I've said many times that treating it as more than just a sports game should be the way to go, it suits cricket more than other sports. If you put 15-20 hours into a test match they should be trying to capture the twists and turns involved. Hell, even a T20 should feel more engaging. You can't do quantity of matches (e.g. 10-15 minute football matches on FIFA/PES) because every match is a full match so there should be a focus on the quality. Have an open development if necessary, let people buy into it, at least there will be finances up front to support the development.

Deeper player attributes (that are all important and meaningful) should be the focus in my view. There needs to be character and individuality to how players and teams approach things (I'm not talking about animations if anyone thinks I mean more motion capture). There's huge potential and I do think, even though it's been a frustrating process and wait, a lot of work has been done to improve things has gone some way to resolving the problems of what initially seemed like a rushed and neglected release. @MattW, the beta testers and those involved at Big Ant should be commended for that.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Just a thing on this, when I massively lowered the glance stat, they didn’t do it as much and if they did it would cause them issues!

In the middle of a tour/series so changes won’t apply but I will try this for the next one, cheers.

Another issue I’m having - I remember all the work we did trying to get the right players in the slips and I thought this was done by the fielder ratings but I keep getting low slip rating fielders (bowlers especially) at slip. Currently got Tufnell (slip rating 8) as the 2nd of my 2 slips!

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
IIRC there's are a few different factors in prioritising where your "best" fielders go. So it might be something like the game posting the fielder with the best throwing arm in the deep instead of in the cordon.

Hard to work out how Tufnell ends up at slip unless something is working backwards though.

OTOH

ndschan

Club Captain
How am I getting bad-pad catches all of sudden. Not complaining, can't play leg glances to spinners with absolute impunity. Liking the change, but experiencing that change without any update

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Scored a satisfying 50 in career mode off 80-odd balls on the latest patch in FC game's second innings.

First inning was a poor show coz being the opener I got out nicking one that I could have left alone. Even in the second dig, I nicked a full one but luckily AI dropped it. Made the reprieve count by shelving the cover drive for most the innings and played either straight down the ground or on the leg side, ducking under most the bouncers on the way.

A bit disappointed that I couldn't go on to covert the 50 into a 100 now that the hard part was done but enjoyed the high level of concentration required and the satisfaction it brought.

Last edited:

disco123

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Scored a satisfying 50 in career mode off 80-odd balls on the latest patch in FC game's second innings.

First inning was a poor show coz being the opener I got out nicking one that I could have left alone. Even in the second dig, I nicked a full one but luckily AI dropped it. Made the reprieve count by shelving the cover drive for most the innings and either straight down the ground or on the leg side, ducking under most the bouncers on the way.

A bit disappointed that I couldn't go on to covert the 50 into a 100 now that the hard part was done but enjoyed the high level of concentration required and the satisfaction it brought.

What level are you playing on , and what are your career player ratings ... I have a very similar experience , playing batting Pro / Hard , career opener about 60 batting rating , in FC matches always nick offside shots to pace or spinner if footwork not 100% perfect even with green confidence ... averaging about 35 !

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
What level are you playing on , and what are your career player ratings ... I have a very similar experience , playing batting Pro / Hard , career opener about 60 batting rating , in FC matches always nick offside shots to pace or spinner if footwork not 100% perfect even with green confidence ... averaging about 35 !

I'm playing on Hard/Veteran. My player has high 60s rating and yes, an opening batsman.

I'm actually OK that its my mistakes or lack of skills thats the reason for dismissal instead of some random factor. At least I know that I didn't play the right stroke or the timing/footwork was off otherwise I wouldn't know what to improve next time. Its only fair coz otherwise there wouldn't be as much of a penalty and batsmen could score as freely as they would like.. no real FC feel to that.

PS: This is all in English seaming conditions so I'm quite satisfied if not impressed with my effort.

disco123

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm playing on Hard/Veteran. My player has high 60s rating and yes, an opening batsman.

I'm actually OK that its my mistakes or lack of skills thats the reason for dismissal instead of some random factor. At least I know that I didn't play the right stroke or the timing/footwork was off otherwise I wouldn't know what to improve next time. Its only fair coz otherwise there wouldn't be as much of a penalty and batsmen could score as freely as they would like.. no real FC feel to that.

PS: This is all in English seaming conditions so I'm quite satisfied if not impressed with my effort.

I agree , if a 60 rated player is smashing it everywhere on Hard then there is no challenge , you build an innings and have to be patient , for FC games. I get frustrated against spinners as I will nick one whenever I play an attacking shot to green or red balls on the offside even with full confidence, but that is normally as my footwork is only OK - yellow , there are flaws in career mode but it is still quite enjoyable if you understand that an lower rated player won't smash it everyhwere without risks :)

Damien Braganza

School Cricketer
Hi I have never been the one to complain but after the recent April update. The gameplay experience has been cringe worthy. I play on veteran difficulty, the batting has been challenging as expected. No problems for me here however the bowling has been ruined. The ball doesn’t swing as it used to be before the April update. Initially I thought it might have to do with the difficulty level so I changed it to Easiest mode, Grassy surface, overcast conditions and yet the swing was missing. Due to this it has become very difficult to get wickets especially outside edges. I am really frustrated and I don’t know what to do. Does anyone here have experienced this problem?

rasdan

Club Captain
Hi I have never been the one to complain but after the recent April update. The gameplay experience has been cringe worthy. I play on veteran difficulty, the batting has been challenging as expected. No problems for me here however the bowling has been ruined. The ball doesn’t swing as it used to be before the April update. Initially I thought it might have to do with the difficulty level so I changed it to Easiest mode, Grassy surface, overcast conditions and yet the swing was missing. Due to this it has become very difficult to get wickets especially outside edges. I am really frustrated and I don’t know what to do. Does anyone here have experienced this problem?

hi my friend.i have to say that im not experience the same in fact sometimes the ball is swinging too much for me.what is your bowling method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread