PC demo released

The game is wonderful, I am really enjoying it, have played about 20 times on easy and when I went to normal I was PWNED! The learning curve is decent.

I've played it once on PC so far and got two horrible run outs. I'm getting a video ready now of one of them, though it was having enough trouble staying at a decent framerate without recording it, so it will be a bit jerky.

Getting ~30FPS at 1440x900 with all settings on High with:
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
1.5Gb DDR RAM (400Mhz)
nVidia 7600GT 256MB AGP

I've played it once on PC so far and got two horrible run outs. I'm getting a video ready now of one of them, though it was having enough trouble staying at a decent framerate without recording it, so it will be a bit jerky.

Getting ~30FPS at 1440x900 with all settings on High with:
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
1.5Gb DDR RAM (400Mhz)
nVidia 7600GT 256MB AGP

Same here! Iam getting worried about these run outs. It doesn't seem like computer AI making mistakes for me but really a programming bug I think. Look at this picture. The other batsman standing there as if he is thinking thats crease (being half way on pitch). Then, feilder just throws ball to keeper and woh he's out.

Does it happen for anyone that if computer lags big time there is more chances like these happening? And, can anyone confirm if runout bugs has been fixed in final build one?

Attachments

• AAC09-runouterror.jpg
    AAC09-runouterror.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 45
Same here! Iam getting worried about these run outs. It doesn't seem like computer AI making mistakes for me but really a programming bug I think. Look at this picture. The other batsman standing there as if he is thinking thats crease (being half way on pitch). Then, feilder just throws ball to keeper and woh he's out.

Does it happen for anyone that if computer lags big time there is more chances like these happening? And, can anyone confirm if runout bugs has been fixed in final build one?

We won't know that until we've played the final build (the actual game) for a while. I don't think it's anything to do with 'lag' - I've had a couple myself and the game runs like a dream on my system.

well, I was thinking if someone from Codies or Transmission will be able to answer that.

Been playing on hard all along now and finally figuring things out....I really love this game its truly a simulation and not one of those terrible arcade things we always see. Heres a break down of my thoughts on the game:

Bowling
Bowling is awesome i really like it a lot, yet the "preferred" length you should bowl is probably mapped incorrectly and is actually on the half-volley length. Great variation, bowling can be sped up a bit for my liking - Even Lee at 153kph seems to bowl at about 125.

Great little touches with the bowling rating. Checking how well youve bowled so far and the amount of wear on the ball - awesome touch.

The timing bar for the bowling is also fantastic and in order to keep the AI run rates down you must hit the light green zone as often as possible otherwise you travel. The great thing is that once youve bowled a few good balls you can really confuse the AI and get them to inside edge onto the pads...Ive seen them get quite frustrated when I bowl good lines and play rash shots.

Batting
Took me a while, especially since i jumped into "hard" immediately, but getting the hang of it. I love the way you timing bar fluctuates and how it gradually becomes easier to score the longer youre in. Once you come in you pretty much have a "|" in which to time the ball perfectly.

From the outset I made up my mind to never use the lofted shot. I feel people in Youtube overused it and its not a true reflection of test cricket. Its the same principle as playing Fifa and you as the user have the OPPORTUNITY to score 8 own goals but you dont...because its not true to what will happen in real football. Its so easy to manipulate the tools you are given and I doubt I will be using the loft shot much during games.

One thing I did notice was that eventhough batting takes time to get used to its quite easy to score around 7rpo by simply pushing the ball around. I suppose this is fine, its still a lot but I dont really know how it can be made LESS easy without making the game pretty difficult.

Front foot/backfoot addition is great and works well mostly...Ive noticed that you can pretty much get away with playing a lot of shots off the front foot though.

The only real problem I have is, like many have said, the edges floating to the keeper/slips and you dont get the impression that the ball is flying to them at 150kph, but sort of floats gently.

Overall batting is a lot of fun and I find the demo to be a little short actually...a few over more and you would get a better idea of how the pacing of innings really work in the game. Like I said 95% of the shots I play are either defend or attack, not loft and generally I get to around 22-25 from the 3 overs.

Fielding

Fielding is pretty good, the catching mechanism is pretty strange at first but managed to catch a couple here and there - the slow mo is pretty awesome but noticed that sometimes it doesnt allow me to take manually catch it but does it auto, which is weird.

A little bit of an annoyance is the way fielders seem to palm the ball back to stop it when fielding from behind the ball. It makes sense to stop it that way at the boundary but not when the ball is simply outside the inner ring.

Very nice and intuitive selection of ends when throwing the ball...pretty much dont even have to press a button just hold the up/down buttons in.

Something i did notice is that whenever a catch goes to a fielder off a no-ball he always drops it?! It doesnt matter in the scope of the game's outcome but it is a bit annoying.

Its also pretty strange hoe the AI almost ALWAYS runs you out on a direct hit! The AI runout bug happens now and then but its not that bad. The problem is that they often wait UNTIL you throw to an end before deciding on a run - I once had 2 AI guys run out on the first 2 balls of a game!

Overall I cant think of too much about the fielding that isnt cool, great stop in the inner ring and I did notice that certain fielders throw more accurately than others which is cool to see.

Graphics

Graphics are alright, doesnt seem like Anti-Alias is enabled in the game though and I usually play on Medium setting with shadows and crowds turned off so I cant really comment on the looks that much.

What is quite lame is the desaturation of everything, it all looks a bit dull compared to the xbox version.

Animations arent great but I dont really notice it too much. Its something you notice when you just start playing but once you get into the game it shouldnt really bother anyone.

Player likeness is terrible really...Alistair Cook looks pretty similar to his real life version, so does Katich but the rest look nothing at all like they should. Once again Im not too phased about that, never been.

Cons

Ok so obviously a problem is that you need quite a hefty system to run this game, my laptop runs it OK but only just and I have a pretty new one.

Some bugs like the runouts of the AI have been mentioned ad nauseam so thats not worth mentioning...eventhough I expected it to be way worse and more regular from the way people talked.

Floating edges need to be sped up....edges rarely carry to the slips!

Without trying to blast the ball it is still quite easy to score at around 7-8rpo without too many problems on HARD mode.

Camera angles when boundary is hit is terrible, it pans in and out and moves all over the place as thought the camera guy is trying to catch his beer while doing it.

Fielders tend to "hang around" once in a while and do not release the ball quickly enough, resulting in stolen singles.

Conclusion

All in all im very very impressed this is miles above any of the cricket games we have played since BLC99. Great to see a bunch of developers interested in cricket the way it is meant to be played and not catering for the slog-fest idiots out there. Quite a steep learning curve and for a change bowling is even more fun than batting! Animations arent great, but doesnt bother you so much once you start getting into the game. Really excited about the full game, but will probably steer clear of the PC version as I have a laptop which obviously is tricky to upgrade....getting an xbox october so until then I will be eagerly awaiting what promises to be a fantastic full-version...very exicted to see what else is in store and whether some of the issues mentioned have been rectified :)

I'd be very interested to know what the pitch type is (it doesn't tell us) and the condition of the outfield (again, it doesn't tell us). The only excuse I can find for the slowness of the outfield is that it's very damp, otherwise it's just far too slow. One minute the ball is racing to the boundary, the next it stops! Also, we need to know the condition of the pitch before deciding whether to bat or bowl, as it is as much of a factor as the overhead conditions are.

Transmission, surely most of the things mentioned (including the edges) could be sorted out in the first patch? Please continue to support this game, you really are onto a good thing here. We're all very knowledgeable cricket fans and wouldn't say such things as that if we didn't mean them. :) I am slightly worried about the batting, even on hard. As was said above, when you're used to it, it's quite easy to move the score along, but not as easy as BLIC 2007, thank God!

@Valaskjalf: That sig of yours is very funny!

Last edited:
I have downloaded the demo and have been succesful at being able to play it on my laptop. Great! Would it be fair to say that I should then not have any problems playing the full game on my laptop? I am to be honest pretty illeterate when it comes to computers so I know I run the risk of ridicule for a question that might be straightforward to others but any helpful response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dutchad

I have downloaded the demo and have been succesful at being able to play it on my laptop. Great! Would it be fair to say that I should then not have any problems playing the full game on my laptop? I am to be honest pretty illeterate when it comes to computers so I know I run the risk of ridicule for a question that might be straightforward to others but any helpful response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dutchad

Most of the time, if the demo runs well, the full game will run well also. You get the odd abberation like DiRT, which ran like a dream in the demo, but the optimisation of the full game was awful - take note for DiRT 2, Codies!

Been playing on hard all along now and finally figuring things out....I really love this game its truly a simulation and not one of those terrible arcade things we always see. Heres a break down of my thoughts on the game:

Bowling
Bowling is awesome i really like it a lot, yet the "preferred" length you should bowl is probably mapped incorrectly and is actually on the half-volley length. Great variation, bowling can be sped up a bit for my liking - Even Lee at 153kph seems to bowl at about 125.

Agreed. The bounce needs to be altered a little, so bowling on a good length gives you the chance of hitting the top of the off stump. As well as that, the ball needs to be sped up a bit, that will probably help with the edges as well. Again, I remember the guys doing something like that with BLIC 2007.

Great little touches with the bowling rating. Checking how well youve bowled so far and the amount of wear on the ball - awesome touch.

Yes, the bowling is much improved now.

The timing bar for the bowling is also fantastic and in order to keep the AI run rates down you must hit the light green zone as often as possible otherwise you travel. The great thing is that once youve bowled a few good balls you can really confuse the AI and get them to inside edge onto the pads...Ive seen them get quite frustrated when I bowl good lines and play rash shots.

We can't tell in the demo, but apparently if you bowl too much in the yellow zone, your bowler tires faster.

Batting
Took me a while, especially since i jumped into "hard" immediately, but getting the hang of it. I love the way you timing bar fluctuates and how it gradually becomes easier to score the longer youre in. Once you come in you pretty much have a "|" in which to time the ball perfectly.

From the outset I made up my mind to never use the lofted shot. I feel people in Youtube overused it and its not a true reflection of test cricket. Its the same principle as playing Fifa and you as the user have the OPPORTUNITY to score 8 own goals but you dont...because its not true to what will happen in real football. Its so easy to manipulate the tools you are given and I doubt I will be using the loft shot much during games.

The trouble is, it shouldn't be necessary to set these 'rules' for ourselves. It's simple Transmissions, if we keep dumping the ball down the ground, set a fielder there - sooner or later we'll get it wrong.

One thing I did notice was that eventhough batting takes time to get used to its quite easy to score around 7rpo by simply pushing the ball around. I suppose this is fine, its still a lot but I dont really know how it can be made LESS easy without making the game pretty difficult.

It is a fine line, isn't it? When all's said and done, transferring cricket to video game format is very hard to do, and even harder to do while maintaining excitement as well as a challenge; I think Transmission haven't done a bad job.

Front foot/backfoot addition is great and works well mostly...Ive noticed that you can pretty much get away with playing a lot of shots off the front foot though.

This was a vital addition.

The only real problem I have is, like many have said, the edges floating to the keeper/slips and you dont get the impression that the ball is flying to them at 150kph, but sort of floats gently.

100% agreement from me there; this is the primary issue with the game - the edges just don't seem right, especially top edges. When you get one of those, the ball generally flies over keeper and slips and goes for four, or goes straight up in the air. What it doesn't do is loop up in the air a few metres and then drop short of fielders.

Overall batting is a lot of fun and I find the demo to be a little short actually...a few over more and you would get a better idea of how the pacing of innings really work in the game. Like I said 95% of the shots I play are either defend or attack, not loft and generally I get to around 22-25 from the 3 overs.

Three overs is nowhere near enough to get a proper feel for the game.

Also, something odd about batting. I often see AI players hitting the ball with a backfoot defensive shot and it flying away for four. A frontfoot push yes, but surely not a backfoot defensive?

Fielding

Fielding is pretty good, the catching mechanism is pretty strange at first but managed to catch a couple here and there - the slow mo is pretty awesome but noticed that sometimes it doesnt allow me to take manually catch it but does it auto, which is weird.

A little bit of an annoyance is the way fielders seem to palm the ball back to stop it when fielding from behind the ball. It makes sense to stop it that way at the boundary but not when the ball is simply outside the inner ring.

Very nice and intuitive selection of ends when throwing the ball...pretty much dont even have to press a button just hold the up/down buttons in.

Something i did notice is that whenever a catch goes to a fielder off a no-ball he always drops it?! It doesnt matter in the scope of the game's outcome but it is a bit annoying.

Its also pretty strange hoe the AI almost ALWAYS runs you out on a direct hit! The AI runout bug happens now and then but its not that bad. The problem is that they often wait UNTIL you throw to an end before deciding on a run - I once had 2 AI guys run out on the first 2 balls of a game!

Overall I cant think of too much about the fielding that isnt cool, great stop in the inner ring and I did notice that certain fielders throw more accurately than others which is cool to see.

Graphics

Graphics are alright, doesnt seem like Anti-Alias is enabled in the game though and I usually play on Medium setting with shadows and crowds turned off so I cant really comment on the looks that much.

What is quite lame is the desaturation of everything, it all looks a bit dull compared to the xbox version.

I'm going to try without the 'special effects' turned on, to see if that improves matters.

Animations arent great but I dont really notice it too much. Its something you notice when you just start playing but once you get into the game it shouldnt really bother anyone.

The animations seem fine to me, some are really good.

Player likeness is terrible really...Alistair Cook looks pretty similar to his real life version, so does Katich but the rest look nothing at all like they should. Once again Im not too phased about that, never been.

Either way, this can be sorted by facemakers, as long as they can find a way inside the game...
Cons

Ok so obviously a problem is that you need quite a hefty system to run this game, my laptop runs it OK but only just and I have a pretty new one.

Some bugs like the runouts of the AI have been mentioned ad nauseam so thats not worth mentioning...eventhough I expected it to be way worse and more regular from the way people talked.

Floating edges need to be sped up....edges rarely carry to the slips!

Without trying to blast the ball it is still quite easy to score at around 7-8rpo without too many problems on HARD mode.

Yeps. I believe this could be helped by the AI changing fields more.

Camera angles when boundary is hit is terrible, it pans in and out and moves all over the place as thought the camera guy is trying to catch his beer while doing it.

It's possibly the worst outfield camera I've ever seen. Some other camera options would be nice (maybe in the full game?) I didn't see any greyed out camera options though, so I'm doubtful.

Conclusion

All in all im very very impressed this is miles above any of the cricket games we have played since BLC99. Great to see a bunch of developers interested in cricket the way it is meant to be played and not catering for the slog-fest idiots out there. Quite a steep learning curve and for a change bowling is even more fun than batting! Animations arent great, but doesnt bother you so much once you start getting into the game. Really excited about the full game, but will probably steer clear of the PC version as I have a laptop which obviously is tricky to upgrade....getting an xbox october so until then I will be eagerly awaiting what promises to be a fantastic full-version...very exicted to see what else is in store and whether some of the issues mentioned have been rectified :)

Yes, we've had enough of people merely paying lip service to cricket, it's about time someone came along and had a good stab at doing the job properly (ten years, in fact).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread