PC MutliPlayer Match Up Thread

Board is finally back up. \o/

So now I can reveal the absolutely whipping I received at the hands of the_gas. :D

I was Australia (he was England) and I batted first...probably not such a great idea! It all went horribly wrong in the first over for me as by the end of it the score was 2-2 - Watson having gone 3rd ball and Ponting edging to slip first ball. My runs came courtesy of a no ball and then a scampered single.

And shortly I was going brilliantly at 30-odd for 6 after 8 overs. :help

Mike Hussey batting with the tail saved me some embarrassment - he got about 17-odd (i'm sure the_gas will have saved a scorecard summary for you all to see) whilst Johnson chipped in with 11 (which was good for me :laugh) and then Brett Lee was my star batsman being the last out for 25, which included 2 sixes off of Luke Wright's final over - I felt a bit bad as that over destroyed Wright's bowling figures - in his previous 3 overs he had destroyed me and I'd found it impossible to score off of him.

I was eventually all out for 82 from 19.5 overs - such a healthy T20 run rate!

Then he knocked off the runs for the loss of just one wicket in just 6.1 overs, although annoyingly I missed a runout chance which then went for 4 overthrows and also a few dropped catches - partly due to my control setup being rubbish (and Play.com being rubbish about sending me the Xbox360 controller I ordered) and me pressing the wrong button. :doh

I was pleased to have finally completed a game after my computer being rubbish against cricketer112, but I was totally outclassed.

A big WP to the_gas.

Just played Ricco, good game with no lag.

Its amazing what you can do to a batting side simply by building up pressure. I bowled really well, and Ricco struggled to get me away and in the end run outs stopped him from finishing his innings.

With a total so low i could afford to take a few risks, i got dropped twice i think in chasing down the target.

Good Game Gas- you really bowled well and held on to all your catches.

Although i struggled with all your bowling the medium pace of collingwood and Wright was hard to get away alright i was aiming for a target of 100 after those early wickets but i think I would of needed close to 300 the way you batted lol :)

I played Oxtar again straight after. He was WI, I was AUS and I batted first and he had me 52-7 of 10 overs. However I managed to consolidate with Haddin and Johnson and put on a 50 partnership taking the total to 116-9 of the 20 overs.

I didn't think this would be enough but I managed to bowl him out for 63 which was helped with Johnson knocking back Gayles 'off peg' first ball of his innings and he had a few unlucky runouts. Good game - Enjoyed the carribean atmosphere with steel drums in the background :)

Finally broke my duck with my 1st online win :) (probably my only one for the foreseeable future too)

BTW How do you take screenshots of the scorecards?

Last edited:
And we're back. :)

I know I'm sounding like a broken record people, but times like that when we can't access the forums is just another occasion when making use of the Ventrilo server comes into its own.

I don't like keeping on but I'm finding it very frustrating as the majority of online gaming I have done has been first person shooters, and with those games I've never found it difficult on there to find people who, like myself, enjoy the game far more if they're able to chat and be social able with the other players, and so they are prepared to log on Ventrilo and stick around for people to arrive. I guess it's just a different crowd which play a sports game like this and who clearly need convincing of it's merits. I can ask that you consider giving it a try for a couple of days and then see what you think. As I've said before, contact me by whatever means and I'll help you get set up.

Anyhow I played the_gas a few hours ago in another, even more eventful game than our previous encounter.

Australia (Earl_CG) vs England (the_gas) at Brisbane (Cloudy Afternoon)

In a role reversal of our [url="http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/ashes-cricket-2009-forum/pc-mutliplayer-match-up-thread-57158-11.html#post1499031]previous game[/url] I won the toss and chose to bowl first.

I think I took a two or three early wickets with the express pace pairing of Lee & Johnson, but I can more definitely remember a similar number of catches which I would at least hoped to have snagged one of. But then on came the medium pacer Hoppes in the fourth over and the result was dramatic; a quadruple wicket maiden (I'm not sure if there was a hattrick in there - I don't think so) leaving the_gas reeling around 19-6.

However, then enter to the fray my nemesis from our previous game - "Tiny" Tim Ambrose and, in a spooky coincidence, he was to be England's star man once again. He started off by ripping Cameron White apart for 22 off his only over and carried on from there (I seem to remember some nice lofted shots by the_gas straight over the bowlers head). Eventually though things were wrapped up with Ambrose out for 35, Flintoff caught in the slips for 22, and the final wicket following soon after. This left England all out for a score somewhere in the low to mid 80s (I really can't remember now I'm afraid).

My innings started badly with a poor run out off the first ball, but I then began make some headway, playing some more lofted shots over the_gas and finding the ropes far more regularly than previous game, reaching roughly 44-3 at one stage. This included possibly my most satisfying moment of batting online so far with Michael Hussey smashing a full, wideish delivery from Anderson over cover for six, the ball landing in the top tier of the three tier stand halfway back - I don't think I've hit bigger against the AI!

Then, as in the_gas's innings, in one Stuart Broad over I imploded, losing four wickets IIRC, including some clean bowleds which the_gas will remember fondly but I'd much sooner forget. I think there was a brief period of tranquillity which left me requiring ~30 with my last wicket pair of Siddle & Johnson at the crease. At first by blocking with Siddle and trying to keep Johnson on strike I began to make the target look almost possible again and this seemed to worry The_gas too.

This threat of yet another potential swing in momentum brought about a fundamental change to the_gas' tactics and this is where the game went sour for me. the_gas changed the field set for Johnson (LHB) to have all 9 men on the offside, leaving the legside completely empty. Even taking an off stump guard charging down the wicket I wasn't able to make contact to play the ball through mid off and he was called wide by the umpire a good 4 or so times, such was his bowling line. To be fair he did continue to bowl over the wicket with his right handed bowlers (I think from the wider angle), although it would have been interesting to see how many more wides would have been given if the bowled around the wicket.

My problem with this is that this is "gaming the game" - i.e. exploiting the limitations the games poses on you. You would never see that field and bowling IRL, as a batsmen IRL is not tied by the same strings as there is in AC2009. However wide it was, they'd just step across and clip it into the onside, only fearing a potential edge or the batsmen bowling on the stumps as a surprise. Some of you will certainly think I've got no right to feel aggrieved and you're perfectly entitled to that opinion, but for me, it's not an enjoyable way of playing the game.

Back to the game and eventually Siddle got stuck on strike facing Flintoff and the_gas, after hitting me with a bouncer (the first short pitched ball he'd bowled all game) he managed to bluff me into thinking another one was coming and with Siddle's timing window being so small I was caught plumb in front and lost by around 15 runs.

Ultimately I can't complain about losing. In the field I didn't take enough of my early chances and then wasn't able to keep hold of the momentum with the Flintoff & Ambrose partnership, while in my innings I gave myself a very good platform before I imploded, the_gas showing great character to wrestle the game back again.

However, the fielding and bowling tactic employed the_gas used at the end is one I personally would never consider employing and means I can't congratulate him on his win quite as whole heartedly as I would otherwise like to.

Apologies for the lack of screenshots - I must admit, I didn't hang around to take the screenshot of the summary page, frustrated by both my performance and by the reason I described in depth above. However, I thought I had FRAPS start taking screenshots every five seconds at the beginning (I had the program running, pressed F10 at the start of the game and I have that "repeat take" option ticked) but FRAPS doesn't seem to respond to any F key presses (I've tested it since). There's no F Lock on my keyboard and my F key are working (I can do CTRL + F5 to refresh) so I'd be grateful is anybody is able to advise me on that.

Last edited:
the_gas clearly the Greg Chappell of AC09. ;)

Or the new Jardine - having introduced 'wideline' into online tactics...

He didn't even need to bother with such cleverness/ deviousness against me. :D

the_gas clearly the Greg Chappell of AC09. ;)

Or the new Jardine - having introduced 'wideline' into online tactics...

He didn't even need to bother with such cleverness/ deviousness against me. :D

Hehe - I was thinking similar things to "bodyline" at the time, although I didn't come up with such a catchy name :). To be fair to the_gas, it's at least not as ridiculous as the spin bowling bouncers which we had to put up with from some people on BLC2007.

On the subject you can kind of touch on there of the tactic not being necessary against you - I don't think it was necessary against me. I was on my last wicket - admittedly I'd scrapped some runs since the last dismissal, but I still had a long way to go considering the position I was in. He'd already proven that he could take me apart bowling his normal, already quite tight, style and he was still favourite to win in my book.

I know if I was bowling, I'd back myself to win in the situation he was in without resorting to such tactics. If I'd lost after bowling against a person with only one proper batsmen at the crease and no margin for error with 20 runs in my pocket to defend then I'd feel a) I deserved to lose and b) the other guy deserved to win.

I think the_gas is prone to being cautious though; as we saw in our previous game he set the field back thinking that I was about to start taking his ring field apart, while I was of the opinion that I was really struggling against the ring field and was very grateful for the release his spread field gave me.

Last edited:
Stevie's playing RiccoM (Posted that before reading the above two posts). There's another game on there which I've tried to join but, yet again, I'm getting the "cannot connect to host" error. I've still only successfully joined one game so far, and that was against the Indian guy on a 64kps (and that game only stayed upright for four overs.) Barmyarmy kindly pointed his contact at Codemasters or Transmission to my post on their technical board detailing this issue yesturday.

Anyway - just posting in case whoever is hosting is on here.

Last edited:
I'll get my game in 12 or 13 hours to be precise;). I would be playing online but first i need to check if it lags or not while playing. So i want to play a small 5 over match to check the connection. If it lags then we'll quit:mad: if it doesn't lag even then we'll quit:D(to start a longer match). So anyone ready to help me out with checking my connection?? I am not a quitter thats why i am explaining all this before so that you may know the reason why i quit.
My ID when the game arrives would be the same as my username.

I'm willing to give it a try mate, presuming we don't encounter the "cannot connect to host" error. With you being east coast US and presumably on a decent cable or ADSL connection I can't see the lag being too much of an issue against us British players at least.

Thanks m8:clap. Will add you as soon as i get my copy.:banana2:banana2
Maybe i might be able to stop the_gas's invincible run.:D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread