IPL Pepsi IPL UAE/INDIA 2014 Discussion {Play-Offs}

What had been the best of IPL 2014?

• Total voters
If there is one thing MSD cannot be accused of, its being a poor CSK captain. He has been brilliant for CSK since forever. While every other IPL team has struggled with captaincy, MSD has been absolutely incredible for CSK and is easily the most valuable player for the team.

I don't mind Aparajith for Manhas, it's logical, but claiming he can fill the roles of Manhas and Negi in one and going on to call Negi a no-hoper, who's a young player as well, pathetic, ridiculous and incredible... and all our bowlers have been equally bad at some point or other, I really don't know on what basis everyone's on the Aparajith and Henry bandwagon, both their records domestically is horrid in the shortest format compared to Negi and Hastings.

aparajith is pretty good, for his age, this is his season figures
The Home of CricketArchive

negi has literally had no season to speak of

aparajith does look better overall, anyone who has good FC record is bound to be good, though his strike rate doesnt look very encouraging for t20, im sure he would atleast fit badri mold.

Also people who have watched him closely say he is capable of shots as well when needed.So thats were all this support for baba is coming from:yes

----------

If there is one thing MSD cannot be accused of, its being a poor CSK captain. He has been brilliant for CSK since forever. While every other IPL team has struggled with captaincy, MSD has been absolutely incredible for CSK and is easily the most valuable player for the team.
MSD in limited overs is always a good captain on field except for occasional gamble or field settings, but his major problem as captain is off field in selection of playing xi, he needs to incorporate a bit of dada here and try out people on bench.

aparajith is pretty good, for his age, this is his season figures

negi has literally had no season to speak of

aparajith does look better overall, anyone who has good FC record is bound to be good, though his strike rate doesnt look very encouraging for t20, im sure he would atleast fit badri mold.

Also people who have watched him closely say he is capable of shots as well when needed.So thats were all this support for baba is coming from:yes

If the IPL has showed us anything, it's that FC cricket means jack ---- when Malinga's trying to break your legs and Narine is turning it both ways while keeping it different... and it's not like Manhas has no stronghold in FC cricket either and if they needed someone in the Badri mold, they would've just bought him in the auctions, Faf can do both, play that role and finish in one.

Like I said in the post, I don't mind Aparajith for Manhas, it's logical, but don't run Negi down to prove a point, I remember in one of the previous seasons he bowled quite well for DD, think it was the season they actually topped the table.

MSD in limited overs is always a good captain on field except for occasional gamble or field settings, but his major problem as captain is off field in selection of playing xi, he needs to incorporate a bit of dada here and try out people on bench.

He has been trying people out, just because it's not the ones you guys prefer to be tried out, it doesn't make it nonexistent.

Last edited:
Long speech man. Anyway lets see how the points table gonna turn.

Sir, this is not twitter. If you dont like reading the "so-called" long speeches, kindly stick to places like twitter, please.:rolleyes

----------

I don't mind Aparajith for Manhas, it's logical, but claiming he can fill the roles of Manhas and Negi in one and going on to call Negi a no-hoper, who's a young player as well, pathetic, ridiculous and incredible... and all our bowlers have been equally bad at some point or other, I really don't know on what basis everyone's on the Aparajith and Henry bandwagon, both their records domestically is horrid in the shortest format compared to Negi and Hastings.

We did use him, he got annihilated in our opener vs KXIP, probably a good thing you forgot that eh. :rolleyes

Same thing happened with Negi in that first game vs KXIP. He got smashed. From what I've seen of Negi, he doesn't seem to think at all. And I dont blame him as this is his harsh introduction to top flight cricket. But Dhoni must have the brains to see people's potential. He has ignored Aparajith for long, and has instead gone with people like Negi, Manhas, etc. Manhas is never used, and yet gets games.

Aparajith is a spinner and can fill in for Negi's overs if needed. By the way, we already have two spinners and Raina (to fill in). Having Aparajith would have given us two bundled into one.

Sir, this is not twitter. If you dont like reading the "so-called" long speeches, kindly stick to places like twitter, please.:rolleyes
Did I mentioned anything wrong about your post? You think posting two lines makes the manner of twitter? So sick man.
BTW they are at number 2. No big change in table. But there is possibility of losing this current position.

----------

10300007_772973362733387_3501988385867794797_n.jpg

If the IPL has showed us anything, it's that FC cricket means jack ---- when Malinga's trying to break your legs and Narine is turning it both ways while keeping it different... and it's not like Manhas has no stronghold in FC cricket either and if they needed someone in the Badri mold, they would've just bought him in the auctions, Faf can do both, play that role and finish in one.

Like I said in the post, I don't mind Aparajith for Manhas, it's logical, but don't run Negi down to prove a point, I remember in one of the previous seasons he bowled quite well for DD, think it was the season they actually topped the table.

not running down negi just stating his stats arent really great to put him as a prime choice over aparajith, i was stating that to show why people support aparajith:).

If the IPL has showed us anything, it's that FC cricket means jack
thats one statement i cant agree with, IPL will never produce a cricketer of skill on its own, a good performer of FC may use IPL to showcase his skills, but a pure IPL performance cant be a yardstick.

Let me put it like this
player performance
FC+IPL :thumbs great should be selected.

FC alone can still be considered.

IPL alone: Get a good season under your belt and comeback for selection.

while your argument holds true for players who may bully our FC bowlers but get exposed against superstars in IPL, it doenst hold true for players who perform in ipl alone cant be considered good due as lot of factors steyn in SC is not steyn in capetown, boundary length, t20 format.etc. remeber paul valtathy.

He has been trying people out, just because it's not the ones you guys prefer to be tried out, it doesn't make it nonexistent.
Its fair enough to call me biased on this one, but MSD does have the habit of benching talents for long, right from rahanae, pujara, even ashwin to an extent before he got a look into NT ahead of bhaji, now mishra or ojha,yadav.

Same thing happened with Negi in that first game vs KXIP. He got smashed. From what I've seen of Negi, he doesn't seem to think at all. And I dont blame him as this is his harsh introduction to top flight cricket. But Dhoni must have the brains to see people's potential. He has ignored Aparajith for long, and has instead gone with people like Negi, Manhas, etc. Manhas is never used, and yet gets games.

Aparajith is a spinner and can fill in for Negi's overs if needed. By the way, we already have two spinners and Raina (to fill in). Having Aparajith would have given us two bundled into one.

Negi isn't taking Aparajith's potential place though, he's taking Pandey's, from what I've seen of Aparajith (from the U19 WC), he's a batting all-rounder, his FC record backs me up on this as well and funny how you mention Raina, that's the sort of role Aparajith would be playing if he did get picked.

If you don't like the combination of 3 spinners and 2 seamers, then that's fine, but I don't think I saw you speaking up against it when India were deploying it at the WC with Ashwin, Mishra, Jadeja, Bhuvi and Mohit.

not running down negi just stating his stats arent really great to put him as a prime choice over aparajith, i was stating that to show why people support aparajith:).

AIW0xu8.png

d0JYQRp.png

Those stats don't put him as a prime choice?

thats one statement i cant agree with, IPL will never produce a cricketer of skill on its own, a good performer of FC may use IPL to showcase his skills, but a pure IPL performance cant be a yardstick.

Let me put it like this
player performance
FC+IPL :thumbs great should be selected.

FC alone can still be considered.

IPL alone: Get a good season under your belt and comeback for selection.

while your argument holds true for players who may bully our FC bowlers but get exposed against superstars in IPL, it doenst hold true for players who perform in ipl alone cant be considered good due as lot of factors steyn in SC is not steyn in capetown, boundary length, t20 format.etc. remeber paul valtathy.

You've taken a part of what I've said and made it mean something totally different and then have even gone as far to apply it to something totally different. :rolleyes

If that didn't make sense, no one's talking about using IPL performance to select players for the national team, we're talking about using FC performances to select players for IPL teams, both are equally retarded.

Its fair enough to call me biased on this one, but MSD does have the habit of benching talents for long, right from rahanae, pujara, even ashwin to an extent before he got a look into NT ahead of bhaji, now mishra or ojha,yadav.

See problem lies right there, you stack the side with Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin and Laxman, then whine that Pujara, Rahane, Kohli and Rohit aren't getting picked, well no ----, and then we have Bhaji getting picked ahead of Ashwin, but once Ashwin is established you want Mishra or Ojha to be picked ahead of him, remember when they'd joke about how many spinners Australia had tried from the retirement of Warne till they found Lyon? The whole cricketing world would be doing that to us, except it'd be the whole XI. :rolleyes

As far as fast bowlers go, I completely give in to that, Dhoni, team management and the selectors have no clue how to handle them, Umesh and Shami should not be playing limited overs cricket, while Bhuvi and Aaron, all they should be playing is limited overs cricket, and Ishant, he should just almighty tweak off.

----------

Someone's probably not going to be happy with that "long speech".

You've taken a part of what I've said and made it mean something totally different
yup i have misunderstood that part drastically :facepalm

See problem lies right there, you stack the side with Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin and Laxman, then whine that Pujara, Rahane, Kohli and Rohit aren't getting picked, well no ----, and then we have Bhaji getting picked ahead of Ashwin, but once Ashwin is established you want Mishra or Ojha to be picked ahead of him,
and in each occasion the choices suggested have proved good, GOD is an exception in that list:D, i was suggesting mishra ojha ahead of sirji mostly in tests and incase of ashwin he has been very defensive offlate but still deserves a couple more chances for his past performances.
But its a fact that dhoni is being bull headed with selection and thats what i was stating.He doesnt pick the right person at the right time.
that's were his captaincy problems lie in the backroom.Im not telling him to select at the whims of me,people or anybody but give fair chance to people who deserve and not over persist with somebody who has outlived their chances and performed very poorly.(this is not in context to baba or negi)

Last edited:
Negi isn't taking Aparajith's potential place though, he's taking Pandey's, from what I've seen of Aparajith (from the U19 WC), he's a batting all-rounder, his FC record backs me up on this as well and funny how you mention Raina, that's the sort of role Aparajith would be playing if he did get picked.

If you don't like the combination of 3 spinners and 2 seamers, then that's fine, but I don't think I saw you speaking up against it when India were deploying it at the WC with Ashwin, Mishra, Jadeja, Bhuvi and Mohit.

No. My problem was not with the combination. My problem is with the players picked and the players ignored.

and in each occasion the choices suggested have proved good, GOD is an exception in that list:D, i was suggesting mishra ojha ahead of sirji mostly in tests and incase of ashwin he has been very defensive offlate but still deserves a couple more chances for his past performances.
But its a fact that dhoni is being bull headed with selection and thats what i was stating.He doesnt pick the right person at the right time.
that's were his captaincy problems lie in the backroom.Im not telling him to select at the whims of me,people or anybody but give fair chance to people who deserve and not over persist with somebody who has outlived their chances and performed very poorly.(this is not in context to baba or negi)

I don't know if you can really claim the choices have proved good with our Test side yet, our limited overs sides though have progressed well except for seam bowling, which I'm very close to just accepting is just always going to suck seeing all our young seamers get decimated as the IPL season nears it's finish, they started so well... :noway

No. My problem was not with the combination. My problem is with the players picked and the players ignored.

Fair enough, I just don't think it's as clear cut or obvious a decision or decisions as you're making it out to be, but for what it's worth, I think you'll see at least Henry be picked for the next game with it being in Bangalore, Aparajith though, I don't think we'll be seeing him play this season (hope I'm wrong).

You guys need to realize that Dhoni plays both Negi and Aparajith everyday in the nets. So obviously he will have a better knowledge about who is bowling better in the nets and the selection is completely based on that.

----------

Bhuvi though, what a revelation he's been.

He has always been amazing with new ball but the most impressive thing is he has been brilliant in death overs. He has executed those yorkers almost perfectly. On the other side, Shami has been very poor in the death overs.

You guys need to realize that Dhoni plays both Negi and Aparajith everyday in the nets. So obviously he will have a better knowledge about who is bowling better in the nets and the selection is completely based on that.

But I guess the argument with Aparajith is he's a better batsman than he is a bowler, and ofc you could also make the argument that Dhoni's probably watching him bat as well...

He has always been amazing with new ball but the most impressive thing is he has been brilliant in death overs. He has executed those yorkers almost perfectly. On the other side, Shami has been very poor in the death overs.

Shami's been poor in general bro, I just don't think him along side Yadav are made for limited overs cricket, but knowing our management and selectors, he'll be dropped from the Test side like Yadav... :facepalm

Last edited:
Let me offer the perspective of a noob :p Flem and Mahi feel Apar is still not mentally ready for the big stage and therefore wont be able to handle all the fame/criticism that comes with it. The 2 dont want Aparajith to become the next Unmukt who was overwhelmed by the fame he got after the finals of the U-19 WC. Before everyone starts to tell me how Kohli was thrust into the big stage at 19, please note that not everyone has the same kind of mental toughness as Virat.

Good win for CSK after a 3 loss drought! And smart by Dhoni to go for the kill early in order to boost up our NRR, which could come into play when KKR take on SRH today (the 2nd game). KKR need to win it, and also win by a margin that takes their NRR above CSK, in order to qualify for the Top two (which would give the Top two teams two shots at the final).

SRH will be desperate to stay in the hunt, and will try hard. Hope SRH knocks KKR down and keep themselves interested till that knockout match between MI and RR.

Users who are viewing this thread