Players who would have OWNED T20, but retired before it began.

PokerAce

Banned
I think the thread is obvious. Players like Viv Richards, Ian Botham, jump up when thinking of players who would have loved the slam bang format, but we need to not consider them for this thread. T20 was nowhere close to being formed when they retired. For the purpose of this thread lets us focus on players who retired shortly before the T20 format hit the big stage. Let us take the first World T20 in 2007 as the starting point of T20 showing it was here to stay. So we are looking at players who maybe retired around late 90s and early 00s, who just about barely missed out on the format. They may have played a few T20s, but back then T20 was more like a carnival, and not a serious cricketing event. We are looking at those who barely missed out on the playing serious and mainstream T20 matches/tournaments (including IPL), but had they done so, they would have totally owned the format.

Right lets do it country wise -

Australia - Michael Bevan (one of the best finishers), Stuart McGill (His guile and variation as a spinner would have been invaluable - Picture him bowling under MSD, in the IPL)

England - Threscothik (Consistant opening batsman - always a requirement), Graeme Thorpe (Solid Middle order batsman - would have gotten runs consistantly), Ashley Giles (again a good spinner whose guile would have been very useful)

India - Ajay Jadeja (Super fielder and strong finisher with the bat - tailor made for T20) Robin Singh (one could say he was a poor man's Jadeja, was an explosive hitter and good fielder)

New Zealand - Chris Cairns (Bowling all-rounder, and explosive hitter, would have been invaluable in T20) Nathan Astle (a rather underrater opener, could be very explosive and has some very memorable knocks to his name. T20 could have been his true calling).

Pakistan - Wasim Akram (Another ideal T20 player, explosive lower order batsman, and world class bowler), Saqlain Mushtaq (at one point the best off spin bowler in the world and inventor of doosra, his 4 over would be gold every match), Saeed Anwar (one of the best limited overs openers ever)

SA - Lance Klusner (Its as if T20 was made for Klusner. The perfect all-rounder for T20, could bowl to restrict runs, could win you a game from any situation with the bat, and a good fielder ... its a travesty that T20 was not around when Zulu was in his prime), Jonty Rhodes (Again, a busy batsman capable of hititng the big shots, and there could never be enough said about him as a fielder, he would have been right at home in the hustle and bustle of T20)

SL - Romesh Kaluwitharana (Revolutionised opening batting in the '96 world cup, as an explosive opener and with his ability to keep wickets would have been very valuable in any team in the world cup), Arvinda D'Silva (a very solid middle order bat, who could roll his arm over for a few quiet overs).

WI - Brian Lara (well he was quite simply one of the best and T20 would have been richer for Lara's blinding range of super strokeplay).

Zimbabwe - Andy Flower (He was a lethal batsman, who had he played for any of the 'bigger' nations, would have been spoken of in the same league as some of the big legends of the game. Avg. over 50 in tests, was a very aggressive and innovative batsman and can be credited with having brought the reverse sweep to the front. Add to this that he was an excellent Keeper - T20s big miss), Neil Johnson (Opening Bowler, opening batsman, good fielder), Heath Steak - (A good bowler specially in limited overs, has nearly 250 wickets to his name, who didn't get the fame he deserved because he played for the minnows, and could strike the ball lower down the order.)

Anyone I have missed? Thoughts.

Last edited:

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Ok, you're talking about international T20. fixed my post since some of them appear to have played league t20 before.

I am not sure about Michael Bevan. He is a calculating player but more suited to the pace of 50 overs cricket. He ran a lot of 2s and 3s which are harder in T20 with small grounds and ropes pulled in. Also not sure whether Bevan has the power to clear the ropes consistently which seems a requirement for finishers in T20.

To the list I would add Fanie DeVilliers of South Africa. He was a mean bowler if there was ever one, and he would have suited T20 to a tee with his deceptive slower deliveries and nagging line and length. Look at his career bowling economy rates in ODIs -- it's amazing.

Last edited:

Dipak

ICC Board Member
Lance Klusener and Chris Cairns are probably the unluckiest ones. Zulu is a class act and T20's would have been his format, he can bat anywhere whre his skipper wants him to score quick runs, same goes for Cairns.

PokerAce

Banned
Ok, you're talking about international T20. fixed my post since some of them appear to have played league t20 before.

I am not sure about Michael Bevan. He is a calculating player but more suited to the pace of 50 overs cricket. He ran a lot of 2s and 3s which are harder in T20 with small grounds and ropes pulled in. Also not sure whether Bevan has the power to clear the ropes consistently which seems a requirement for finishers in T20.

To the list I would add Fanie DeVilliers of South Africa. He was a mean bowler if there was ever one, and he would have suited T20 to a tee with his deceptive slower deliveries and nagging line and length. Look at his career bowling economy rates in ODIs -- it's amazing.

No we are not talking about only Int'l T20. We are talking about Mainstream T20 events, be in Int'l or global T20 leagues, like IPL or the Big Bash. I made the list country wise so it would be easier to recall names that missed out on T20.

Also about Bevan, I am not sure that it is accurate to say Bevan was not a hard hitter, incapable of big hits. I think Bevan has hit his fair share of boundaries and sixes, as much as anyone else, and I think he would have fit right in.

De'Villers is a good suggestion, aslo I realised one could add Donald to the list.

Last edited:

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Present day umpire, Kumar Dharmasena would have also been an ideal T20 bowling allrounder.

coolash1

Associate Cricketer
Allan Donald Would Be The Destructive Bowler In T20's,Glenn Mc Grath Played Some T20's He Can Be Dangerous There

----------

Imzi Can be A Pinch Hitter There

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Javagal Srinath would have been a very good option for India in T20's had T20 came in when he was around. His pace, with his tight lines that he acquired during the latter part of his career would have made him an ideal candidate to be the lead fast bowler for India, bowling his 4 overs very frugally and entrusted with the death bowling task.

For older players, Krish Srikkanth was a guy who batted like T20's even during those olden days. He would have been amazing in T20's and would have enjoyed it.

PokerAce

Banned
Javagal Srinath would have been a very good option for India in T20's had T20 came in when he was around. His pace, with his tight lines that he acquired during the latter part of his career would have made him an ideal candidate to be the lead fast bowler for India, bowling his 4 overs very frugally and entrusted with the death bowling task.

For older players, Krish Srikkanth was a guy who batted like T20's even during those olden days. He would have been amazing in T20's and would have enjoyed it.

I cannot agree with Srinath at all. Yes he a good run for a year, but I think in T20 he would have been one of the whipping boys. I agree Srikanth would have enjoyed batting in the T20s but again retired well before anyone had even thought of the idea of a T20.

War

Chairman of Selectors
He is a calculating player but more suited to the pace of 50 overs cricket. He ran a lot of 2s and 3s which are harder in T20 with small grounds and ropes pulled in. Also not sure whether Bevan has the power to clear the ropes consistently which seems a requirement for finishers in T20.

Nah Bevan knew would have been perfect @ T20s at his peak, I think he would be a very good # 3 in T20s.

Bevan was a smart player, he knew went to hit boundaries, just that he didn't hit a lot of sixes.

----------

Other players from the past who i reckon could have been very good T20 that haven't been mentioned:

AUS: Mark Waugh, Simon O'Donnell, Lillee, Thompson, Lindwall, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Jack gregory, Norman O'Neil, Dean Jones, Allan Border, Shane Lee, McDermott

ENG: Gooch, Dennis Compton, Emburey, Ted Dexter, Gough, Underwood, Lamb

WI: Lloyd, Greenidge, S Nurse, Collis King, Harper, Hall, Marshall, Garner, Roberts, S Clarke, Franklyn Stevenson, Keith Boyce, Bernard Julien, Ramadhin, Gibbs, Ridley Jacobs

SRI: Aravinda, Vaas, Chandana

PAK: Imran Khan, Waqar, Javed, Inzamam, Aamir Sohail, Saeed Anwar, Sarfraz Nawaz, Asif Iqbal, Mushtaq Mohammed, Moin Khan, Abdul Qadir, Iqbal Qasim, Aaquib Javed

NZ: M Crowe, JR Reid, Roger Twose, John Bracewell, R Hadlee

ZIM: Streak, Paul Strang, Neil Johnson

IND: Shastri, Viswanath, Kapil Dev, Roger Binny, Gupte, Sandeep Patel

S Africa: B Richards, Jimmy Sinclair, Lindsay, P Pollock, G Pollock, Procter, Rice, Brian McMillan, Craig Matthews, Colin Bland, Tayfield, Le Roux

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
From the sub-continent, most of you seem to have missed out on Javed Miandad & Salim Malik. Aravinda ,Gurusinghe & Kalu would have thrived & so would have Jayasuriya had he been given adequate chances.

South Africa- Derek Crookes, Shaun Pollock, Allan Donald & Hansie Cronje

New Zealand - Chris Harris- he could have been the Narine of those days with his dibbly dobbly bowling
Craig McMillan- though he did play in the first WT20, had the format come earlier ,he would have been a top IPL pick

Zimbabwe- Somehow, you guys missed out on Eddo Brandes. He was a power-hitter and was a very useful bowler. A true asset for any team.

WI- Ricardo Powell, I distinctly remember him thrashing around the Indian bowlers in Toronto & Singapore

England- Robin Smith, Allan Lamb, the Hollioake twins

Others- Akram Khan, Steve Tikolo & John Davison

Other players from the past who i reckon could have been very good T20 that haven't been mentioned:

Ted Dexter

Ted Dexter ? I thought he was the classic old guy who was more suited to a longer format of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread