Ponting open to Clarke taking the reigns

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Last edited by a moderator:
Well that makes things a bit easier on the selectors if they want to sack Ponting as skipper.
He wants to play till 2013, I just hope we don't have another case of Hayden.

Well it's definitely time for Ponting to hand over the ODI/T20 reins, his form in limited overs has been very poor lately. Maybe this will help him return to form, or maybe it will make it easier to make some changes to the batting lineup. Having said that, while I'm sure Clarke will make a fine test captain, his form is also pretty bad in the shorter forms of the game. I'd almost be tempted to give the captaincy to someone else, maybe even Hussey as he is one of the few whose spot in the team is, at this moment, safe for a reason.

what happened with Hayden? i thought he left on his own? =S

(edit; damn it! ^^ that post got on the way, @ Syl)

He got dropped from the ODI squad then Hayden retired knowing he would be overlooked for the next Test series.

He got dropped from the ODI squad then Hayden retired knowing he would be overlooked for the next Test series.

Yea I remember him jogging off the field not acknoledging the crowd in his last innings, should have savored the moment but I guess he thought he might have played again after that.

Clarke as captain seems to be the only choice, he is young and seems to have a good camaraderie with the youth in the team. His spot in the team is secure too. Personally I cannot stand him, but I can see how he could make a good captain.

Shouldn't the T20 captain be able to actually play it well?

This is how Vettori took over the NZ captaincy, by taking the ODI and T20 roles. Fleming lasted another 10 months I think. Doing this is usually a big risk if you ask me (For Ponting that is).

Ponting's position is safe for a while yet, no batter is really stepping up and saying pick me. That may change in a few years but it would need a serious form slump even bigger than Hussey/Hayden to see him dropped.

Clarke is crap at T20s but our selectors clearly have no idea how to pick a T20 side and never learn from their mistakes.

Agree australia selectors are not great in selecting twenty team.Now as far as ricky ponting in team or not selection depends i will go with one more series.

Well what we'd hope is that with Punter no longer the skipper, his form would improve as a pure batsman. And while we're on the subject of Ponting, anyone have any idea what's on his lip at his last press conference?

107499.2.jpg

Who the heck has Marmite then, I thought NZ was vegemite land?

Last edited:
The marks on his lip were where he was standing at short cover/silly mid-off and had a ball smacked into his face. Think there are pictures of him spitting blood in the Ashes Highlights thread.

Yes agree with above one that proves that he is really hurt.As far as ponting captaincy is concenred he shold be sacked from it or he himself should say i am giving my captaincy off.That will surely improve his batting skills.

Users who are viewing this thread