Premeditation Solutions

There will be no need for accurate footwork timing because you will have to either plant your foot forward or back (which almost every real cricketer do in real life)

IF Neutral=back-foot,but still you need to move the LS down for the foot movement of the batsman based on line and length of the ball. For example :the ball is pitching good length around 5th stump,without footwork how would you move the batsman to reach the ball without LS movement.

Its simple no input = backfoot so if the ball is short you just have to press the RS to play your shots but if its full/good then you have to press the LS upwards and play your shots accordingly.

Its simple no input = backfoot so if the ball is short you just have to press the RS to play your shots but if its full/good then you have to press the LS upwards and play your shots accordingly.

It's not simple because it has absolutely no logical reasoning behind it. It's basically dumbing down half the batting mechanics for completely arbitrary reasons. A user has to select front foot direction, but not back foot direction...in what way is this logical and inline with existing mechanics? Why not just pre-meditate everything on the backfoot because you don't need to worry about footwork. You're suggesting an approach that a) would not technically work b) removes user control c) doesn't make any tweaking sense

And at what point does no input translate to a backfoot animation? You still haven't figured this one out.

Where is the foot movement of the batsman for back-foot,which is completely missing according to your logic.

Too much MMM, but yes, indeed :)

For all of the advice in here, while the intent is appreciated, if you've not played hours then it's hard to expect us to accept opinions from you as your POV will be entirely theoretical (at best).

Last edited:
User control of one input. It's not like as if he suggested making everything automatic and make the game an AI simulation.

FollowOn's suggestion of having a default foot movement is not only a reasonable suggestion but also a possibly realistic and practical one. Have a look at this batting masterclass video of AB De Villiers and see how his front foot is his default movement initially and then transferring the weight (which is fairly subtle) to play a pull shot. This supports FollowOn's previous theory of playing with the front foot forward initially and depending on the length, you could just release the LAS to transfer the weight to play a shot off the back foot.

As I said earlier most real life cricketers have preferred foot position as default posture and then they shift weight (or not) depending upon the length.

But the bashers only want to bash because they like bashing and the nonsensical issue of footwork timing can be resolved by delaying the footwork timing cutoff to as late as RS shot timing.[DOUBLEPOST=1474267235][/DOUBLEPOST]
Too much MMM, but yes, indeed :)

For all of the advice in here, while the intent is appreciated, if you've not played hours then it's hard to expect us to accept opinions from you as your POV will be entirely theoretical (at best).
Actually I have played over 100 hours. BTW its nice saying F***off to someone trying to help you out.

Last edited:
User control of one input. It's not like as if he suggested making everything automatic and make the game an AI simulation.

FollowOn's suggestion of having a default foot movement is not only a reasonable suggestion but also a possibly realistic and practical one. Have a look at this batting masterclass video of AB De Villiers and see how his front foot is his default movement initially and then transferring the weight (which is fairly subtle) to play a pull shot. This supports FollowOn's previous theory of playing with the front foot forward initially and depending on the length, you could just release the LAS to transfer the weight to play a shot off the back foot.

the problem with a default setting (i.e. one that occurs if their is no input) is the game has to know when to cut off and trigger the "default" animation rather than wait for an input that is just late/very late. also, mentally there is no difference in "short so release LS" and "short so drag down LS" which was his example.

unless these issues can be overcome the suggestion is not practical. it is exactly the same dilemma as the "no shot input = leave" issue that has also been discussed at length.

finally, a default setting does not remove premeditation, it just holds your hand.

Yeah, in truth, I don't see the difference between it either, your still making a conscious decision either way really... Not to mention if its even feasible on the technical side of things- we do know about the leave situation with no input, specifically what would happen if I were to choose no input, change my mind and press forward at the last millisecond? Because wouldn't the backfoot shot animation already of kicked in?... I'm guessing if that were to happen the batsman's head would simply just pop off his shoulders, because he would be so bloody confused as to what to do. Like a few people have said @FollowOn you've just had a bazinga moment without thinking it through, or you haven't taken the time to read through a few threads with some interesting and informative subject matter. Anyway hopefully you or others that suggest solutions in the future do yourself a favour and ask questions or do some research on here before posting, no offence intended!

P.s actually go to Ross's profile and read his posts, he's answered a few questions people have asked, and its the most reliable source you can get.

Last edited:
Premeditating in batting can only resolved by "Watching the ball" especially for front foot and back-foot shots(Fast Bowling).

Current system we have color indicator for length of the ball,the circle around the ball to be dark and big than what it is now.so that it can be much easier to identify the length little bit earlier.

The speed at which the ball reaches the batsman if decreased a little bit(Time frame for fast bowling),will help to read the line and length sooner.

If observed while at far batsman or any other camera angle the pitch length looks to a lesser extent,because the camera angles are inclined more towards batting end.Tweak in camera angle may result in watching the ball easier as pitch length extended further using camera.(This is only to overcome Premeditation,otherwise camera angles are very good).

The speed at which the ball reaches the batsman if decreased a little bit...

The problem with that is that we have two groups asking completely opposite things:

Group 1 : Yay! With the increase in time the ball takes to reach the batsman, I'm now able to judge the length and play accordingly. Nice work BA!
Group 2: No way! I want to experience a 150 kmph delivery whizz past my nose. This has ruined the experience of playing against fast bowlers. It just doesn't feel real.

And vice versa.

Ah yes! now that's something a bit more tangible- colours are key, especially the difference between ball and background. I know this next statement will ruffle feathers, but I genuinely believe there's a science behind it: " broadcast mode is in IMO actually far easier to judge the ball because the difference in colour between the ball and pitch, is far more distinguishable then ball and crowd".

# I mean for the purpose of this argument- assume your looking at a pitch black screen and white dot comes towards you at 150kmh, then imagine your looking at a gray screen and a white dot comes towards you at 150kmh... The 'black screen-white dot' would be easier to see wouldn't it?

P.s @asprin and you could add a third option too, that wants a combination of both as well.

The problem with that is that we have two groups asking completely opposite things:

Group 1 : Yay! With the increase in time the ball takes to reach the batsman, I'm now able to judge the length and play accordingly. Nice work BA!
Group 2: No way! I want to experience a 150 kmph delivery whizz past my nose. This has ruined the experience of playing against fast bowlers. It just doesn't feel real.

And vice versa.

I think point 2 can be addressed by the following:

1. Bigger penalty for being on the wrong foot
  2. better bounce, so a ball really can "get big" on you and hit the splice
  3. better effects of being struck by the ball when batting

Users who are viewing this thread