• Bat

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Bowl

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

Jono82

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's the first match of the season... I am coach of a school team and have taken a quick look at the deck the boys will be playing on tomorrow morning (starting at 8:45am).

It's very soft with virtually no bounce, and the shot over cow corner is the preferred shot of course for kids aged 10-12. HOWEVER, the ball is going to be staying very low. I tried bowling on it this afternoon and the ball wouldn't come higher than the height of the stumps even when I was pitching it short!

HOWEVER, it's expected to be very cold tonight, which should cause some moisture to hit the outfield, which will no doubt help the batting side as the ball will no doubt become rather greasy...

The weather is expected to be fine, mostly sunny with a top temp. of 19 degrees C.

YES, I'M WELL AWARE I'VE OVER-ANALYSED THIS FOR A GAME OF SCHOOLBOYS CRICKET... BUT, I LIKE TO BE PREPARED FULLY

So, here's the question... if we win the toss, should I instruct the captain to elect to bat or bowl first?

We are playing this game over 2 x Days at 50 overs each! ;)

Cheers!

Jono

defintly bowl and hope that next week it actually bounces mate!

Yeah certainly have a bowl as the moisture factor in the outfield will make it more difficult bowling second.

EDIT: Let us know how you get on in the game

will do... however... it's expected to warm up next week and as this game is being played over 2 saturday mornings (this is Grade 6-7 kids we're talking here) is the reason I came here to ask...

Edit: How is the outfield moisture going to affect the side fielding second when it will heat up over the course of the morning?! :what

Last edited:
If the game is early in the morning, bat first so your bowlers have time to wake up, a priceless thing to do in kids cricket.

manee said:
If the game is early in the morning, bat first so your bowlers have time to wake up, a priceless thing to do in kids cricket.

I think a tired batsmen is much worse than a tired bowler. You should have a bowl, make use of the moisture on the pitch.

I'd bowl. Regardles of the pitch. Batting when knowing how much you need to chase, and to have a whole week to plan it out, is a massive advantage.

Iron-Haggis said:
I think a tired batsmen is much worse than a tired bowler. You should have a bowl, make use of the moisture on the pitch.

A tired bowler does not pick up early wickets, and in the long run, they are the most important thing.

It is so much eaiser to take wickets while tired than it is to score runs. Batting requires far more hand-eye coordination than bowling, something which is severly hampered when you are tired. I've played cricket very tired plenty of times and my bowling has not been affected nearly as much as my batting.

umm guys, please read what he says, he isnt playing the whole match in one day!!!! regardless, try and loss the toss so you dont have to choose, and yes you are over analysing this. But if you have to choose, id have a bowl. Good luck

Well... we took all of your advice...

We won the toss and (as instructed) we chose to field. It looked to be a great decision after 13 overs, we had our opposition on the ropes at 4/39! (or 39/4) - at 6/66 (66/6) after 21, we looked to be in a winning position, but some amazing, controlled batting from the #7, 8 and 9 (incl retirements) coupled with some poor fielding meant that we werent able to take a wicket again until the 43rd over with the score on 170! They managed to bat out their 50 overs and made a very strong total of 9/214 (214/9). The predicted morning moisture in the outfield was not there, and the pitch played beautifully after 9:30am as it was certainly warmer than the bureau predicted (game started at 8:45am)

We will need to bat VERY well next week - let's hope it's a good deck! :upray

Users who are viewing this thread