Random Thoughts

WTF was that guy in NYC thinking? He moved to America, went to uni here, got an MBa, got a professional job and had a decent life. Yet he decided to make a bomb and try to kill some innocent people.

I am sorry but more and more of these home grown terrorists in the USA are turning out to be from a particular country. We need to start limiting immigration from certain countries to avoid the USA turning into the UK.

WTF was that guy in NYC thinking? He moved to America, went to uni here, got an MBa, got a professional job and had a decent life. Yet he decided to make a bomb and try to kill some innocent people.

I am sorry but more and more of these home grown terrorists in the USA are turning out to be from a particular country. We need to start limiting immigration from certain countries to avoid the USA turning into the UK.

Yes. America.

Sigh,

my fault for not elaborating.

Home grown meaning american citizens, however naturalized American citizens. meaning born and raised in another country and culture.

I am not advocating a full out ban on immigration from certain countries. That would be impractical and unfeasible. however I think our immigration standards are too lax, we need to start considering more layers of criteria like Australia. Perhaps criteria like education.

Sigh,

my fault for not elaborating.

Home grown meaning american citizens, however naturalized American citizens. meaning born and raised in another country and culture.

I am not advocating a full out ban on immigration from certain countries. That would be impractical and unfeasible. however I think our immigration standards are too lax, we need to start considering more layers of criteria like Australia. Perhaps criteria like education.

But you said yourself he had an mba, professional job etc. surely you want people like that to come to your country?

unfortunately people like that are the best equipped to hide their intentions.

He received his MBA in the United States he went to university here. What I was saying is that someone who already has a college degree , professional job and children(stable, older, responsible, family )should be considered more than a young person with no degree (who is easily influenced and radicalized, especially when finding himself in a different culture for the 1st time).

Also, the man spend half of last year in Pakistan. I think that any US citizen who is spending so much time overseas in countries with known rampant extremism and anti-American sentiment should be closely scrutinized. The government was already monitoring him, they just did not do it well enough.

The current measures are not all that bad, after all UK authorities stopped quite a few plots recently (some large scale ones) and US authorities have stopped 3 big plots in NYC and Chicago. However, it was just this man's incompetence that prevented this bomb from going off.

For all the changes that we have made in the name of security in the post 9/11 world, one thing we have not changed is immigration criteria. It is hard to deny that majority of violent extremism comes from Muslim nations and thus I think its really not illogical to impose harsh criteria on the honest people from those regions who do want to come here and live a productive and happy American life. Those who truly want to live a moderate and peaceful life will not mind the extra scrutiny as it is for their protection as much as it for ours.

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:
Cricket ball + Top edge of cricket bat = Ouchies.

Ouchies x 3,000 words tonight = High bridge, fall....

Users who are viewing this thread