Really giving up with batting?!!

another thing - anything straight = hit to legside off the front foot. For some reason the back foot leg glance animation results in your player walking away from the ball, which usually results in being bowled (really stupid). Besides, the front foot leg glance (ie. hitting it to square leg) does go for 4 or, if early, will go to mid wicket or forward of mid wicket.

it will come with time. Once your confidence increases, you tend to middle the ball - don't know if its built in or just natural. I've found that I tend to drive less (riskier) off the front foot, but wait and play the shot off the back foot unless its straight on. I sometimes get it all mixed up and get bowled/LBW but most of the time it works. Its just that I could never play cut shots, late cuts or guiding the ball to 3rd man off the front foot.

Okay mate. Will surely try that.

lol found that out by accident. Also just found out by accident the 'off the hip glance' ie. short ball (thats red), then its LS - down, RS - down + a little to the left, ie. the opposite of the 'guide to third man' shot (same but to the right or straight down). I tried this a few times with LS - down, RS - left, and thats when the batsman walks across his crease (ie. RH bat will walk towards off stump) usually resulting in being bowled on leg stump.

*edit*
as you can probably guess, I don't tend to spend a lot of time in the nets practicing. It annoys me that you can't get a specific type of ball over and over eg. yorkers, bouncers, etc etc.

lol found that out by accident. Also just found out by accident the 'off the hip glance' ie. short ball (thats red), then its LS - down, RS - down + a little to the left, ie. the opposite of the 'guide to third man' shot (same but to the right or straight down). I tried this a few times with LS - down, RS - left, and thats when the batsman walks across his crease (ie. RH bat will walk towards off stump) usually resulting in being bowled on leg stump.

*edit*
as you can probably guess, I don't tend to spend a lot of time in the nets practicing. It annoys me that you can't get a specific type of ball over and over eg. yorkers, bouncers, etc etc.
Moving across [sliding in the game] is dependent on two factors -Line of the delivery and the position of LAS, if the LAS is not on the line then he slides to region where you have place your LAS hence slide on both sides...

yeah unfortunately you have to place the LS correctly, which is difficult when you're trying to:

1. watch the ball
2. choose the appropriate shot
3. combine this with moving the RS

Having said that, when you get it right...its a nice sweet shot :)

One ball I always have trouble with playing is the around-the-wicket full delivery ie. almost yorker length thats going across the body but landing just to the right of the off stump. Blocking will usually result in a nick, and its the wrong length to drive/cut.

Red balls are killing me because I am always ready to get on the front foot.

On the front foot I can never get the bat high enough to hit those balls so the secret must be to play them off the back foot. There just is no time to adjust.

I find it hard enough timing wise to read the in and out half circle icons. My brain, at least, takes a millisecond to say got it, then relay that to my hands to move the controller the correct way for foot placement, problem is this always means late for the bat and a miserable quality shot.

Ah red balls are my favourite.

Anything short I play off the front foot and hook/pull it usually to mid wicket or forward of mid wicket (deep mid wicket). Thats usually a safe shot as I'm not using the agressive hit button, however it also only results in 2-3 runs a lot of the time. Red ball on the offside = backfoot cut (including aggressive) or glide to third man (if there's no third man, use the aggressive + glide to third man for an easy 4 or 6). I have nicked these too. the main thing is identifying the short ball and line early (hard). I also figured out I could play the short ball (red) that bounces high on off via the back foot + aggressive hit + aim towards midwicket - you then do a sort of 'whack' to mid wicket kinda like what Steve Smith does (and feels good too!).

I found the best way to practice is the actual match practice (not in the nets) facing short fast balls from a higher level bowler. You get used to the line/length early as well as the 6 hit. If you mistime it and get caught - doesn't matter.

Nice idea!

Ok just to get my brain around batting in general...

I get foot placement.

Now on to the RS. The RS really has little to do with a swing physically, meaning you don't move the RS as your bat movement.

What you do with the RS basically is choose your shot animation. This is correct?

Pushing up gives a hands above the bat straight drive
Pushing up right a cover shot animation, and so on.

The foot placement plus shot type plus timing dictate true direction/result

You have little to no control over power I have found. Yes, you can hold LT for aggressive but to me that just gives you a bonus if you get everything else right.

So what has helped my batting is to think less about hitting the ball and more about "catching" it with the bat, catching it by getting the shot type chosen and timing correct.

Then you just let the animation play out.

Initially I was trying to hit the ball harder by moving the RS quicker in whatever direction it needed to go. This appears to have zero affect on the shot outcome.

Also I have noticed in practice to ignore shot timing as perfect foot placement plus late shot timing gives good results.

One other thing, I have read in this thread, several people posting they go front foot/straight up on the LAS exclusively.

But doesnt that limit your shot type? If you hold up on LS and its bowled off stump you can't straight or cover drive or you miss. You can only resort to R stick right to point.

But if you were to step up and to the right you would retain most of your shot making arsenal.

Or am I overthinking this?

The right stick is just the direction you are playing and the speed you swing does nothing, the LT will play aggresive aerial shots, the lt and rt together will play aggressive ground shots, rt on it's own will defend and nothing pushed is a good medium. You will need to time the right stick though, you want to push it when the ball is reaching you so for spinners and slower bowlers you might move your left stick for footwork then wait on the ball to reach you before playing your shot with the right stick.

A lot of people seem to be favouring front foot now as it can be fiddly to switch to the back foot and most short balls can be played off the front foot (front foot cut or pull, just avoid driving short balls on the front foot) or just left anyway. Personally if I'm facing a genuine quick I play almost everything from the front foot if they are over the wicket and almost everything from the back foot if they are coming around the wicket. Playing around the wicket quicks off the back foot means being careful not to try and cut too much though because it's easy to get an edge, usually I just try and pick the balls on my pads and drive anything else unless i'm set and feeling it.

Remember though that your left stick doing the foot work means you have to place it in the right direction for the ball too (generally just to where it's pitching), even if you are playing only off the front foot you can still play shots to nearly every part of the ground, if a bowler is slower like the medium pacers and spinners it's easy to pick front and back as you have more time so you don't need to pre empt in that case.

it might be worth trying a few games on the lowest difficulty, you get far more time to work out your footwork/shot placement which will help you get the hang of it and identify where you are going wrong. DBC is a tough game to learn, like real cricket as well there will be times you just get beaten due to lack of concentration or just getting an unexpected good delivery. I found for me it helped a lot to watch the replay when i went out and try and analysis what i did wrong and try to remember how to handle that type of delivery in the future.

@outbreak has pretty much answered your question.

Re footwork, when I first got DB14, I found batting extremely difficult and frustrating. However, someone on here recommended I try playing everything off the front foot. What this does is allow you to do is focus your hand/eye coordination on which shot to play because you have a limited time to make that decision (ie. line + length of ball....footwork + shot) ie. make one decision (shot) vs two decisions (shot + footwork). I started to get my scores up but I also realised I was missing out on backfoot shots eg. cut, glide to third man, esp when the fielding team had open areas behind the keeper.

Eventually I started waiting for the ball before choosing my footwork/shot, and this allowed me to use my full range of shots. I still make mistakes (esp when you premeditate) but on the whole I'm able to use almost any shot and it works. When the bowler runs in, I tend to have my thumbs on both sticks and my right index on the RT in case its a yorker (and I need to block). Unfortunately most of my 6 shots are premeditated based on the field setting, although I did get that Steve Smith helicopter type shot twice off Clink McKay (he's not express pace). It comes down to practice, practice, practice.

Hope that helps. I think its all about training your brain.

Last edited:
This may sound paranoid but it was working in training match vs pro bowling.

Before I would squeeze LT or RT or both before the bowler began his run up. For no reason I started waiting until he began his trot to choose those. My batting improved slightly. Slightly enough it was noticeable.

It's almost as if the cpu knew my intentions if I chose those early...conspiracy!

I sure do wish I could choose the teams during practice match. I would like to just sit there and face some indian spinners for a spell.

The teams are always red ant and tru blue. If I could overwrite them with extra copies of India and England...or whatever team I wish to practice with.

Anyone care to enlighten me on the art of back foot hitting in this game?

Whenever I see a red ball on leg side it seems perfect to get on the back foot and pull one square or fine.

But my batter either leaves it or worse moves in front of the stumps and leaves it resulting in a pathetic LBW.

I can't get anything working off the back foot because the initial turtle up or dance about animation seems to cancel, ignore or override my RAS input.

I mean I read what pharoah wrote and have tried to implement it but holding down or down left or right on the LAS nullifies things, I am on xbox one so maybe it's an issue.

Here are some shots I am struggling with. I am batting in close cam, I think I am going to change this tonight.

bowl line and length - my shot type and where I am playing it on the "clock face"

off side + short: cut off back foot (LS 5 + RS 3)
leg side + short: pull / hook + back foot - either (pull(LS 7 + RS 10/9) (hook(LS 7 + RS 9/8)

But again maybe it's just my camera view and I am picking up these short balls too late which is turning it into some sort of defensive stance or worse that batter warp animation across that exposes the stumps.

Last edited:
Anyone care to enlighten me on the art of back foot hitting in this game?

Whenever I see a red ball on leg side it seems perfect to get on the back foot and pull one square or fine.

But my batter either leaves it or worse moves in front of the stumps and leaves it resulting in a pathetic LBW.

I can't get anything working off the back foot because the initial turtle up or dance about animation seems to cancel, ignore or override my RAS input.

I mean I read what pharoah wrote and have tried to implement it but holding down or down left or right on the LAS nullifies things, I am on xbox one so maybe it's an issue.

Here are some shots I am struggling with. I am batting in close cam, I think I am going to change this tonight.

bowl line and length - my shot type and where I am playing it on the "clock face"

off side + short: cut off back foot (LS 5 + RS 3)
leg side + short: pull / hook + back foot - either (pull(LS 7 + RS 10/9) (hook(LS 7 + RS 9/8)

But again maybe it's just my camera view and I am picking up these short balls too late which is turning it into some sort of defensive stance or worse that batter warp animation across that exposes the stumps.

Which difficulty level are you playing on? If it's Amateur or lower, the game decides which foot you play on along with a little automation of shot selection as well IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread