Really giving up with batting?!!

rob619

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok played for several hours in nets and practise in game etc. Bowling I'am ok at.

The batting is a pain. I think I am not using controls properly for the PS3 (playstation 3

Can someone tell me what buttons to press and in what order and if you hold any button.

For example, hold L2 for aggressive shot then L3 thumbstick forward to on front foot while bowler just about to bowl then R3 thumstick to choose the shot?

I know it sounds alot but batting is meant to be complicated right in this game unless Im doing something wrong.

Really want to give the game a chance, if not I will have to send it back.

Also its stupid how you get help for bowling by radars but nothing for batting! Should atleast have this option!

Thanks in advance

for starters, if you're struggling, why are you playing aggressive shots? don't use the aggressive trigger - as you get the hang of batting you will hit plenty of fours just by timing a normal shot well.

premeditate a couple of blocks when you face a new bowler for the first time, so you get used to the pace of the bowler and pitch... this will help you see the ball and get in.

get a couple of shots you're comfortable with and limit yourself to those

There's no specific timing for the triggers or the left stick, they just have to be pressed by the time you play your shot with the right stick.

The right stick is the only one you have to time accurately.

Batting is a beauty in this game. Play practice match. Avoid L2 shots for a while. Start playing only front foot shots. You can keep LAS pushed while only RAS need to be pushed at the right direction and in right timing.

the batting is weird in that, because it's so difficult it feels genuinely rewarding. In some ways, even though I hate big ant for making it this way I also really admire them. imo it still needs fixed to just take the edge off the difficulty for balance but I hope it's done with only slight adjustments (make edges go wider more often so you get off with them occassionally without slips in, sort field settings, take a little off fielder speed and take a little bit off the balls always going in the air - I hit a six with a leg glance by accident, that can't be right.)

however that said, your point about huds is quite fair. it does seem silly the bowler, who only has to time a pre-meditated action, gets loads of help with his timing whereas the batsman who is also having to make split second decisions as well as execute perfect timing is getting sod all help.

Batting is a beauty in this game. Play practice match. Avoid L2 shots for a while. Start playing only front foot shots. You can keep LAS pushed while only RAS need to be pushed at the right direction and in right timing.

Yup. And then you get a string of balls just short of a length that you simply cannot play, except as catching practise to silly mid on, short mid on or mid on (I've occasionally had all three at once, which was almost as hilarious as the time I had a gully standing in front of a 5th slip)

Batting is a beauty, I agree. It's very, very difficult however, and I don't think "pre-meditate your shots" is a particularly good plan for learning. I don't think this because I've tried it, and all it means is that when I need to be on the back foot and pulling, I've got muscle memory and step forward with a straight bat.

One of the issues I have is that it doesn't seem consistent enough with what stick directions produce which shots.

I just got given out caught behind playing a late cut to a short ball. The ball previous was also short, and I played what felt like exactly the same shot - only the ball before I flicked it off my hip forward of square for four.

Must have been literally millimetres of difference between the two (which is what cricket is actually like, I agree). It's a problem because there's no feedback at all when batting in career mode.

I don't know what the difference between out and 4 was, and that makes for a very frustrating time while I wait for my guy to have enough skill points that it simply corrects for my mistakes.

And the truth is I don't want to have superman for my avatar, so I can flail away any old how on the sticks and he simply fixes it for me. I want some feedback after the stroke (especially one I lost my wicket on) about what I did with the sticks - so I can correct in the future.

Last edited:
agree it's not, but pre-meditating a few blocks initially helps you get the pace etc.

If you were feeling the pace off the deck because you had an actual bat in your hand, then yes - but without any feedback like this, I dispute the idea that pre-meditating blocks does anything except train your hands to block when they should be doing something else.

Yup. And then you get a string of balls just short of a length that you simply cannot play, except as catching practise to silly mid on, short mid on or mid on (I've occasionally had all three at once, which was almost as hilarious as the time I had a gully standing in front of a 5th slip)

Batting is a beauty, I agree. It's very, very difficult however, and I don't think "pre-meditate your shots" is a particularly good plan for learning. I don't think this because I've tried it, and all it means is that when I need to be on the back foot and pulling, I've got muscle memory and step forward with a straight bat.

One of the issues I have is that it doesn't seem consistent enough with what stick directions produce which shots.

I just got given out caught behind playing a late cut to a short ball. The ball previous was also short, and I played what felt like exactly the same shot - only the ball before I flicked it off my hip forward of square for for.

Must have been literally millimetres of difference between the two (which is what cricket is actually like, I agree). It's a problem because there's no feedback at all when batting in career mode.

I don't know what the difference between out and 4 was, and that makes for a very frustrating time while I wait for my guy to have enough skill points that it simply corrects for my mistakes.

And the truth is I don't want to have superman for my avatar, so I can flail away any old how on the sticks and he simply fixes it for me. I want some feedback after the stroke (especially one I lost my wicket on) about what I did with the sticks - so I can correct in the future.

I've made the point before that even though the DBC system is a major step forward in terms of designing a video game control scheme that mirrors real life play, there is still no analogue for the most crucial part of the real life process, which is aiming at the ball with the bat.

In a system that doesn't have any way for the user to directly aim the bat at the ball, then you're always going to have some behind the scenes slight of hand to calculate how good a job of making contact the user did, even if the timing part of the equation is direct user input.

I'd really like to try an pc mouse fps type cursor control based system. Might have to simplify the footwork controls from DBC but having direct user control of the contact with the ball instead might be a good trade off.

My suggestion only if you were planning on giving up batting as the OP was saying. I wasn't giving an idea for batting strategy as such.

Also try changing the camera angle. I play 'bowler far' angle which helps me see the line and length slightly earlier than I can in the other cam angles. Try which one fits your style.

Users who are viewing this thread