Your Cricket Refurbishing a bat

embi

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've been using my dads ancient GM Cannon, and will be using it till my birthday in October. Its still going strong (must be 15-20 years old) but I just want to make sure it won't snap in half suddenly :rolleyes: .

Basically, the hardest job so far is fitting the damn grip on. We bought a grip applicator cone, but I'm having problems using it. I worked out that you need to roll the grip down the cone to make a doughnut, but thats too difficult - it just won't roll after a certain point, it just won't go.

Any ideas? Does anyone have a clear easy explanation of what to do? (I found one by googling, but unfortunately its not so clear). Pls respond quickly, I need to use this bat on Sunday (it is grip-less atm).

and when I've sorted this out, we'll get onto the taping and oiling. :)

Lol, it's quite a difficult process to explain. I used to do these days in days out working in a sports shop, basically you roll it up to make the doughnut, then you put the doughnut on the cone and push it down the cone as far as you can (this can be quite difficult, might need Dad). So now the doughnut is at the end of the cone, the thicker end of it right near the top of the bat, then you need to push it down to unroll the doughnut. That should put it onto the bat, and then simply roll it down the handle. Hard to explain, I reccommend you go into a sports shop and get them to show you.

Some other points:

Make sure you oil it, gently, not too much. After you've done that I suggest you buy something called a Salix face protector. Its a see through sheet with fibreglass tape for the edges built into one. I put them on for a year and then take it off. It makes sure the face doesn't get unnecessary damage. Use this for a new bat definately!

www.cricketbox.co.uk - You can get these Salix things from here. Next day delivary.

Thanks a lot mate. I've started rolling the grip up into a doughnut, but it won't go any further :( . Maybe I'm just weak.
Or the grip could just be too inflexible, or I could be doing it the wrong way. I'm pretty much turning it inside out into a doughnut, right?
Cheers.

Thanks a lot JJ3, after a long painful struggle I finally managed to get the damn grip on the bat. On my own, as well :) .
Just did the oiling, followed instructions - not to put too much on and to avoid the labels and splice.
Will tape up the edges and cracks tomorrow after the oil has dried - is this a good idea?
Also might do some knocking in tomorrow with an old ball.

Users who are viewing this thread