Reverse Swing

R

ricky123

B) Reverse Swing
With a turbulent boundary layer on both sides of the ball, the effect of the seam is reversed. It now acts as a ramp, pushing the turbulent air away from the ball and causing the boundary layer to peel away sooner. That makes the pressure on that side higher, forcing the ball to swing towards the batsman.

To get reverse swing with a new ball, smooth on both sides, experiments show that the bowler has to reach 80-90 miles per hour to get appreciable movement. This kind of speed has only ever been achieved consistently by a few bowlers. A scuffed ball however can generate substantial reverse swing at speeds well within the capabilities of any medium-paced bowler.

The ideal ball for reverse swing has one side rough, the other smooth, with a prominent seam in between. The seam should be angled at about 15 degrees to the direction of flight, pointing away from the desired direction of movement. The ball can then be swung both into and away from the batsman depending solely on which side of the ball is delivered at the front - generating either normal or reverse swing. Because the bowler does not need to change either his grip or his action, the batsman will have no clue which way the ball is likely to move.

For reverse swing the amount of sideways movement is related to the speed of delivery, making this a particularly effective delivery for fast bowlers.

if u understand all this ,give me some tips in a easy method

Attachments

• reverse_swing.gif
    reverse_swing.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 1
i didnt really get all of that but ill try explain reverse swing to u in the way i was taught and what works for me

ive never heard fo a new ball reverse swinging so ill just steer clear of that, but with an old ball my understanding is as follows.

as the ball gets old 30-35+ overs, if one side is continually shined throughout the innings by the bowling team and is kept in reasonably good condition the ball may start to reverse swing because the side than is continually being shined with saliva becomes heavier than the rough side therefor the ball swings with the shiny side not away from it like it normally would.

for example:
outswing - normal swing - shiny side is on the right
outswing - reverse swing - shiny side is to the left (the same way the ball swings)

inswing - normal swing - shiny side is on the left
inswing - reverse swing - shine side is on the right (the same way the ball swings)

i hope that cleared things up for u

thats pretty much how me and my mate ben get reverse swing at around the 40 over mark of our matches or in the nets after the new balls we are given start to age after a few weeks of training

B) thanks a lot atleast now i will get some wickets .i was being hit all round the ground .i am batsman though and bowl only few overs.
but with ur advice and some more practice i think i will do better with the ball.

no worries mate, anytime

if you want some tips on improving your game...

go to the following sites:

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/NATIONAL/AUS/FE...COACHINGCLINIC/ (this site has batting, wicketkeeping and fielding too)

http://www.cricketnext.com/coaching/coachb...everseswing.htm

http://www.liveindia.com/cricket/tips.html

also if you want to you could buy the MasterClass DVD my mate has it and says it covers every possible angle of the game to help you improve (not that he needs it, hes still only 14 and already playing Seniors in the 1sts he made 91 last week GRRRRRRR im so jealous and on top of that hes a sweet leg spinner)

so then, whats the big deal about reverse swing?
Why does everyone treat it as if it is this huge secret weapon that can undermine the entire XI?

It doesnt seem like reverse swing is any different from regular swing, only thing is no one knows what the ball is going to do.

Reverse swing.. Its just getting an old ball to swing. I think the term "reverse swing" is just used to scare batsman really. Not many batsman look to see which side of the ball is shiny. And the ball swings quite a bit and usually swings late.

Wat I am trying to say is that the ball is not so great. A good batsman can deal with it. And the bowlers just make a big deal out of it.

of course the batsmen check to see which side is shiny or not, other wise they wouldn't be able to hit the ball.

Yeah well I guess so. But i U/15 league batsman dont care much about which side is shiny. They just bat!

im trying it out as my special straight on ball (im an off-spinner) and im doing ok except i have one finger down the seam

just like regular swing, are you able to get reverse swing in cloudy conditions?

Me and my friend were out messing around in the yard some time ago, and there was a sudden batch of clouds that came about around the house. I was bowling with a relatively old ball that had been sitting in the garage for a few months, i had the ball in an inswinger's grip, but i watched the ball outswing dramatically. It had so much swing that my friend jumped out of the way toward off side (he wasnt wearing legpads) thinking it would hit him. Both of us watched the ball hit the middle and off stump. It was a beautiful yorker.

I honestly think that was the best ball i ahve ever bowled

Originally posted by dean_mag@Mar 18 2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah well I guess so. But i U/15 league batsman dont care much about which side is shiny. They just bat!
U-15 or U-11, batsman must see which side the shine is on the ball. If they do not play based on that, they are not ( cannot be ) good top order batsmen. You just cannot stroke the ball, after it has pitched or started to swing. You could defend it though. I say this because I have played right from U-11 to U-19 cricket for my state. It is exactly the same techniques you have at these levels, that you carry into the league stages.

I could pick up the length and swing, on the ball, when it has just left the bowler's hand. That was the key for my success at the age-group competitions. The reason for my picking up the delivery is that i follow the ball right from when the bowler starts his runup. And, for reverse swing, the first ball which reverses is the most dangerous one for a top order batsman. Once they find that the ball has started to reverse, it can be easily sorted out. Just play as you would for normal swing.

The same cannot be said for the lower and even the middle order batsmen though. :D :D

Yeah
Maybe u r right Iniyan.
But in our league we dont really care. Swing is just swing. Ppl don't bowl super fast so you have got all the time in the world to pick it up. And down here in Australia we play on really bouncy matting pitches so bowlers tend to bowl short and not let the ball swing.
So we dont really worry about swing. Even if the ball swings most bowlers dont know how to control it(cos they dont bowl it that often). So most deliveries that swing are wide out the off stump or down the leg. Very few deliveries are good balls that swing alot. And those are the balls we get out to.

Users who are viewing this thread