Shane Warne: Give Clarke the vice-captaincy

Do you agree with Shane Warne's comments?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
SHANE Warne has controversially called for selectors to dump Adam Gilchrist as vice-captain of Australia's cricket team and install Michael Clarke as deputy.

After Clarke skippered Australia's Twenty20 side to victory over New Zealand on Tuesday, Warne is convinced the young star should be made Ricky Ponting's right-hand man immediately.

Shane Warne's latest claim to is give young gun Michael Clarke the captaincy and to dump long-serving Adam Gilchrist. Personally this, I think is silly from Shane. Gilchrist provides experience and knowledge and has played at the highest level for years, Clarke has only been around for three.

You can read The Daily Telegraph's article.here
And you can read Shane Warne's article here.

Thoughts

Is there a problem with Gilly? Because if there ain't don't change a winning formula. Maybe for the future, but hey, Warne's got column inches to fill, he has to write something ;)

Gilly will retire before Punter will.

Besides, Gilly is a senior member and i'm sure he will still have input in some things. Give Clarke the tag, he seemed to really enjoy having the captaincy. It might get more out of him as a player and prepare him better.

isnt Clark the soposed future captain of Australia. I think that he should be given the vice-captain position and in a few years maybe the ODI captaincy so that he could get a year or 2 under his belt before he takes over full time captaincy.

I reckon we should give Clarke the vice captaincy. Gilly will get his say, but it will be a good experience for Clarke.

There's not too much reason to keep Gilchrist as vice captain, we should probably be looking to the future. Gilchrist isn't much of a captain anyway, let him be a leader but the tag is unnecessary.

Yeah giving Clarke the vice- Captaincy will prepare him for his future and will test him to see how he handels it and besides letting Gilly have vice-captaincy near the end of his career isn't such a good thing he'll want to release that presure and maybe end his career with a good batting performance..
just my opinion.

Yeah giving Clarke the vice- Captaincy will prepare him for his future and will test him to see how he handels it and besides letting Gilly have vice-captaincy near the end of his career isn't such a good thing he'll want to release that presure and maybe end his career with a good batting performance..
just my opinion.

Agreed. A young face captianing Australia wouldn't be a bad thing. It would be a good postive move.

May as well groom Clarke up, Gilly will still have his input given he is behind the stumps and always loves to have a chat.

But do you Aussies really love putting one player up like that? I think he should work his way to that position, it shouldn't be taken for granted.

Gilly is a well-respected figure much like Anil Kumble is at the end of his career. Even if only for just another season Gilchrist should be given the title. He deserves it for all that he's achieved in his career so far. Clarke has got a long way to go yet and he'll get his due in time.

Yeah, but Gilly will get his say. Early on Ponting likes to field at slip, Gilly behind stumps and Haydos first slip. Pup is usually at point or somewhere but he might have to go into cover... harder to give his opinion in between balls unlike for Gilly. Or when clarke fields in the deep.. etc. Punter nearly always close in so Gilly will get a good say.

Clarke can field anywhere, he and Ponting are similar in that respect. The title of vice captain really only means that they are backups for the captain. If Ponting has a question for Gilchrist, he will ask him, it doesn't matter whether he is officially the vice captain or not.

And as I said, Gilchrist is not a very good captain anyway.

Clarke can field anywhere, he and Ponting are similar in that respect. The title of vice captain really only means that they are backups for the captain. If Ponting has a question for Gilchrist, he will ask him, it doesn't matter whether he is officially the vice captain or not.

And as I said, Gilchrist is not a very good captain anyway.

Frankly speaking they can even make Shaun Tait the captain but still the Aussies will win. Its players who win matches not captains.

About Gilly.....well he was the captain when Australia finally beat India in Test matches in India. Ponting was out injured.

Frankly speaking they can even make Shaun Tait the captain but still the Aussies will win. Its players who win matches not captains.

About Gilly.....well he was the captain when Australia finally beat India in Test matches in India. Ponting was out injured.
Captains play huge roles mate, field settings for starters. Gilchrist is a good leader and role model, but his other side of captaincy needs work. Look at how terrible England played under Flintoff, they missed out on some wickets because of bad field placements.

Thats ridiculous. Captains play a huge role. We couldn't beat New Zealand last year when Hussey was captain. We couldn't defend big scores.. Yes New Zealand played well but im sure if Punter was there we could have won a least 1 of those games.

Its about knowing who to bowl, when to bowl and the fields.

Users who are viewing this thread