Your Cricket Shining A Cricket Ball

@Blake, my problem is I don't bowl very quick so the ball swings from outside off to outside leg and I get flogged. Plus they hit with the spin.

Bowled a gem a couple of weeks ago to their opener, cut him in half and clipped his leg stump....

You swing it and spin it? Legendary bowler, IMO.

That brings back memories when I clean bowled their best bat, no3, for a golden duck, from outside off to taking leg stump.

Woops. Typo. I bowl cutters though!

Gazza_11 added 0 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

Best wicket I ever took - Opening the bowling, first ball of the match it was a peach outswinger which got their best batsmen caught behind.

Gem.

How do you know he was their best batsmen if he only faced one ball? He could've been their Number 11, going in for a joke.

True, trying to keep the shine maintained on one side is the key to swing the ball, especially the reverse swing, but u need to be able to bowl at good pace, i doubt if a medium pacer can do that

1) When shining a ball, does it keep it 'new' if you shine it?

2) Does shining a ball cause it to swing more then letting it be, particualry with a new ball?

3) If you bowl with a wet ball, is that bad and should you try and get the water off by shining it?

In my experience:

1) I shine one side and let the other turn rough. If someone hits the ball on the shiny side, I shine up the mark that is made, meaning the shiny side stays shiny for the length of my spell.

2) Yes, the ball swings to the rough, and so by shining one side, the other side becomes 'rougher' meaning it will swing towards it.

3) If the ball is wet I recommend drying it and re-shining a side, although chances are it won't swing as much. You need to dry it to avoid it slipping out of your hand and bowling a beamer.

You do realize he asked those questions close to 6 years ago?

Come on. Let him be. He signed up just to reply to that post. Dont ruin it!!

The Proper Answer

1) When you shine a cricket ball it keeps the leather smoother and indeed makes the ball appear newer. though eventually through continuos use and contact with the pitch and the bat it will become harder and harder to maintain.
2) Shining a ball on one particular side will help form swing. as when one side of the ball is shiny and the other is rough the air turbulence reacts with it while it is moving through the air. The wind passes easily over the smooth side of the ball (the side that is being shined) while on the rough side the air when colliding with the rough leather creates drag and takes longer for the air to pass by. This causes the ball to move to the rough side. which is swing.
3) when bowling with a wet ball it is vital to try and maintain a dry ball seam. i would dry the ball every ball of the over. if a ball is wet it makes it extremely hard for seamers to gain swing and is equally as hard for spinners to get purchase of the wicket, though they can utilise the wet ball by having it skid and stay low trapping the batsmen for an LBW or clean bowling him.

Forehead sweat works very well when it comes to shining a ball. Although you may end up with a red forehead.

With question 3, you should always dry a wet ball for a couple reasons. A wet ball won't swing and a wet ball is a lot harder to grip.

I agree you should dry the ball but our team sometimes only dry one side fully and shine the dryside. This has the effect of weighting the ball increasing the swing.

I have Dry Skin so I use a moisturizer on my hands.

I use that to shine one side of the bowl.

Like Imran Khan said "Ball Tampering withing Limits is not Cheating, its Gamesmanship".

The Pitches are soooo Dead these days, without preparing the ball, bowlers have no chance.

Users who are viewing this thread