So, I could use some help...batting to start.

bahnzo

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If you look to the left, you'll see I'm not exactly from a place in the world associated with the game. Yet I've been here for some time, and I understand a lot of the basics and have actually watched cricket for years.

But I'm having some trouble moving up in batting. Rookie, Amateur...not too much problem, but I'm winning too easily. So I moved up to Pro, and I'm really awful when it comes to batting.

I could ask a million questions, so I'll be brief and only ask a few:

I can't hit fast or fast/med bowlers...at all. I'm *always* late. Is there a trick to this?

Are there any good threads on batting that I can't find? (or you can suggest?) I did a YouTube search on batting tips, but really they are all pretty bad and don't convey much. I guess the fact I'm pretty new might be a problem, but I could really use a basic primer. This game doesn't really help with that, nor does the manual.

Finally, I guess in general I could use a point towards the basics of batting. When do you play a front foot shot versus a back foot? To me that's something I never understood. I suppose you want to play off the back foot when the ball is bowled short, but beyond that I'm kind of clueless.

Last edited:
I tend to play most shots with the front foot in the game. The back foot tends not to be used by me very much at all.

You can play most shots from the front foot and by doing so it has the distinct advantage of simplifying the actions the player needs to do for each shot.

Some players say they have the player on the front foot before the bowler releases the ball, so they can decide as late as possible which shot to play

Also its important that early on in your innings that you keep the batting simple. Defend at all times unless the bowler bowls a loose delivery and then attack with a safe attacking shot. Survival is the most important consideration a batsman can have early in their innings. Also until you adjust to the conditions you should try to bat in the "V". The point in the V is the batsman with each edge going out to Mid - on and Mid-off respectively.

Two others points to consider are:- Never run until the ball has cleared the infield and never play a drive close to a fielder as its a certain get out shot.

When facing a bowler you must watch them release the ball. Depending on the speed of the bowler will determaine where in his action you should start your shot. The spinner is very late, almost just before it hits the batsman. The batting nets is where this can be learned.

Hope this helps.

Neil W

I guess it depends on your reaction times but I have to play everything front foot unless its a medium pace bowler. Try and find safer runs/singles and the shots you are least likely to get out. Its interesting the point above about survival, I find playing in defensive mode against the quicks just gets me in trouble. Its a long haul and on pro or above I would say its one of the hardest sports simulations going, its certainly satisfying but at the same time you want to pull your hair out at times. Definitely with the spinners be patient, a bad ball will come.

My tips:
1. Take of the coloured circle hud.... too distracting. You will then learn to read the ball's line and length through its flight path.
2. Get close to the screen. This helps you see the ball better and makes you concentrate, get into the zone of just looking at the ball.
3. Front foot. I press up on LAS as soon as the ball leaves hand. Then I can make small adjustments to feet and choose shot with RAS. If you move your feet at the same time for every ball, you can then get into a rhythm of LAS then RAS. So you will have one rhythm for fast, one for Fast-med etc etc.
4. Head into nets. choose a specific bowl e.g. Fast med, good length, outswing, fixed speed. Then as soon as the ball is bowled, press forward defense shot. It will tell you "early" and you will miss it or edge it etc.. Do this for a few balls. Then play slightly later... see the results. Then later etc. etc. This will teach you the exact timing to play your shots. Then adjust the length of ball etc. Then change bowler type. With a lot of time and practice you will know when to play your shots against every type of ball bowled.
This will mean that you find your rhythm with the LAS and RAS and then batting will become almost like muscle memory and not guesswork.

Thanks. I've definitely been hitting the nets and the practice field, but my main problem still exists...the fast bowlers. On Pro, there just doesn't seem to be time to judge the ball. You have to start your swing immediately after it leaves his hand. And if you misjudge it, you get bowled, or hit.

I'm going to try the idea of just using front foot and go from there. But my initial impression after a couple days with the game is the batter doesn't react fast enough. The speed of the ball looks ok to me, but I don't think the animations of the batsman are quick enough.

Thanks. I've definitely been hitting the nets and the practice field, but my main problem still exists...the fast bowlers. On Pro, there just doesn't seem to be time to judge the ball. You have to start your swing immediately after it leaves his hand. And if you misjudge it, you get bowled, or hit.

I'm going to try the idea of just using front foot and go from there. But my initial impression after a couple days with the game is the batter doesn't react fast enough. The speed of the ball looks ok to me, but I don't think the animations of the batsman are quick enough.

The suggestion I got asked to try for the quicks is to stay on the front foot (as in, put the LS to 5 or 10 past 12 while the bowler is running in). Play anything offside by moving the RS towards the covers. Play anything legside by moving the RS towards square leg.

This works OK, although it's boring as hell. The reality is that it was how I'd almost ended up playing against the quick anyway - and I get in trouble when one is short towards leg (because the pull shot invariably goes aerial) and occasionally edge short ones on the off side.

I tend to simply not use the defensive shots at all, because the risk/reward isn't high enough for me - in the nets, I often get edges off "ideal" timing (which is really doing my head in, because one of the defining features of timing a shot well is getting it in the middle) and certainly playing in matches the fact that an edge seems just as likely when defending as when playing a shot means it's not worth defending - because I'll either get 0 or out, where playing a shot I may get some runs (or out, obviously)

I'm working on leaving more that I don't have to play at.

The thing here is there is no set rules what works for one doesnt work for another, it ranges from the cam you use, the gaurd you take, to use hud assists or not and the shots you go for etc.

One thing i would suggest more than nets or practice match is play a lot of tours and competitions as in there you get to bat as both sides by save and exit after one innings, use one team to experiment and other to implement the techniques you have learned fully, this is what helped me a lot and now im sort of comfortable at legend difficulty without hud assists. this will take some time on your part but you will get there.

Also right now if you are comfortable with say pro difficulty or want to play in pro difficulty try a couple of matches in veteran and then drop down to pro, even if you suck a lot at the high difficulty, it will show your improvement when you drop down. then once you are comfortable notch up the difficulty and go on.
checking this out may help you out a bit

Last edited:
Alright, well after lots of practice and a few ODI's, I'm gonna have to back down to Amateur. Pro is just to fast for me with the fast bowlers. Which is too bad, because I enjoy playing on Pro everywhere else. But fast bowlers on Pro just don't give me enough time to judge and react with what I feel is realistic.

Maybe in the future we'll figure out a way to hack the game and adjust things. IE: I'd love to be able to bowl on Pro and bat on Amateur. But until then, I just can't enjoy the game on Pro. Woe is me....

Alright, well after lots of practice and a few ODI's, I'm gonna have to back down to Amateur. Pro is just to fast for me with the fast bowlers. Which is too bad, because I enjoy playing on Pro everywhere else. But fast bowlers on Pro just don't give me enough time to judge and react with what I feel is realistic.

Maybe in the future we'll figure out a way to hack the game and adjust things. IE: I'd love to be able to bowl on Pro and bat on Amateur. But until then, I just can't enjoy the game on Pro. Woe is me....

It doesn't need hacking to do this. Just needs the devs to find a way to enable split difficulty for batting and bowling (which I'd appreciate, because I find bowling too easy until I'm playing Internationals at legend level - best figures of 10 for 22 in a 50 over match!).

If I'm going to ask for an ideal world, I'd like not only split difficulty, but sliders to provide finer adjustments to various things (width of the timing window, "pace" of deliveries, weight/power of the bat and such)

Users who are viewing this thread