Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Drawn series

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Great news that Prince has been given the Captaincy after Smith's Injury. He's their first black captain. :happy

James_W

Club Cricketer
MUFC1987 said:
Great news that Prince has been given the Captaincy after Smith's Injury. He's their first black captain. :happy

Seems an odd choice to me. He doesn't really have that leadership 'aura' about him that guys like Fleming, Flintoff and Irani have. Might be a bit contraversial, but maybe the fact that there has never been a black captain attributed to him getting the job., but I really hope not.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
James_W said:
Seems an odd choice to me. He doesn't really have that leadership 'aura' about him that guys like Fleming, Flintoff and Irani have. Might be a bit contraversial, but maybe the fact that there has never been a black captain attributed to him getting the job., but I really hope not.
Candidates to lead South Africa:
Gibbs - not the best leader and not in great form so doesn't need the pressure.
Kallis - unlike England, S Africa know not to overburden their star allrounder.
Boucher - possible, but has struggled when standing in in the past.
Pollock - failed miserably when he did it full time and is struggling for form as well.
De Villiers - future captain, but even less experienced than Prince.

Prince is the right choice, it's got nothing to do with any form of discrimination.

James_W

Club Cricketer
But has Prince proved his leadership skills before at any level? I don't know, maybe he has captained in SA domestic cricket but I wouldn't know wether or not he has done. I would've thought Boucher as the obvious choice.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
James_W said:
But has Prince proved his leadership skills before at any level? I don't know, maybe he has captained in SA domestic cricket but I wouldn't know wether or not he has done. I would've thought Boucher as the obvious choice.
The appointment of Smith showed that South Africa were looking towards the future rather than their slightly dodgy past, Prince has been Vice Captain for a year or so now. Apparently, he comes highly rated by Shaun Pollock as well, in the Captaincy respect.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
James_W said:
He captained his side in South African domestic cricket last season.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
As Andrew already has stated Prince did it last season and has captained his domestic team for probably three seasons before that too. No doubt he has the experience.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Its true that Ashwell might have had the experience,however,i feel with Boje n Boucher in,they could have done justice.
I'd have gone for Boje or Dippenaar seeing as he was considered the next choice to Smith[Calcutta Test-SA tour of IND]

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
You'd choose Boje as Captain, despite him struggling to get into the team?

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
The other thing is that the selection thought process for captains changes like the weather, so first choice for one series could change for the next.

hheshh

School Cricketer
i dont think that prince is thhe best choice for the SA, even despite being a fill-in, im still not convinced that his batting is strong enough to warrant himself a consistent place place in the team or his captaincy is good enough to warrant a consistent place (ie. not Michael Vaughan). however.. given the lack of alternatives and looking toward the future they really do not have much choice.. as discussed above

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
hhesh is right
even prince does no0t have a constant place in the side.
Anyways,no point cribbing over the choice.
Hope he does a good job.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
South Africa have drawn their warm up game against Sri Lanka A.

Result

South Africa 1st innings: 465/4 declared (Rudolph 157, Amla 150)
Sri Lanka A 1st innings: 162 all out (one man absent)
South Africa 2nd innings: 245/8 declared
Sri Lanka A 2nd innings: 89/1

Match drawn

Users who are viewing this thread