South Africa's tour of India - October/December 2015

Bigger bats becoming dangerous - Barry Richards | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
something to think about other than pitches, the thinner one was used to make 325 odd
227831.3.jpg

Enough on blaming bad pitches etc. These players are all professionals.. whether South Africa is playing in India or India is playing in England is irrelevant... South Africa knew coming to India that the pitches will assist the spinners.. as will India know touring in England will assist the seam bowlers... It is all about preparation, training and toughting it out... as a professional , players need to adapt.. we don't blame the hospital if a surgen accidentally remove the wrong organ, do we?

It is South Africa's worst Test series against India... specially after same team played really well in ODI & T20, but failed by miles in Test matches...

Enough on blaming bad pitches etc. These players are all professionals.. whether South Africa is playing in India or India is playing in England is irrelevant... South Africa knew coming to India that the pitches will assist the spinners.. as will India know touring in England will assist the seam bowlers... It is all about preparation, training and toughting it out... as a professional , players need to adapt.. we don't blame the hospital if a surgen accidentally remove the wrong organ, do we?

If there was a hat I was wearing, I would take it off applaud you for this post.

There are degrees. When coming to india we expect to deal with spin and that is all fair is that is India's strenght. But the wickets at mohali and nagpur went too far imho. Just like the green tops india had to face in england went too far.

Another factor in the series was that SA had to bat last at both mohali and nagpur, may have been totally different if we had won either toss.

Some changes will be made for england. Can't see van zyl or villas surviving the axe.

Naturally I think we both realise that we will hold our different opinions, and that is fine. No issues there. I will still say that Mohali was not extreme by any stretch of the imagination. If Mohali was too extreme for you, then there is no venue in India where you could play cricket.

Nagpur was an extreme spinner, of course it was, but I don't believe there should be a blanket bans on square turners or green tops. They add that test for the batsmen that is fun to watch. Atleast this is the spin given to whenever India have to bat on green tops, but dry wickets like in Nagpur is a no no. Have never understood the double standards.

Secondly, I will stick to this, that for all the talk about the pitch - two sides played on the same pitch at Nagpur. If the pitch was too extreme, then it was too extreme for both sides. Yet one team applied itself better than the other, and won comprehensively. So ultimately, as it always does in cricket, it came down to not the pitch, but application. One side had it and the other didn't.

As for changes, I don't know about Van Zyl, I was seriously unimpressed by Vilas. Not with the bat, but more with his keeping. He was just poor.

To add further the bias exists against Asian pitches in general, and that baffles me. An Asian wicket is expected to adhere to strict norms about what is considered, ideal and any deviation from the norm and the Asian pitch faces all kinds of criticism, but a similar pitch outside Asia, is no issue.

Its clearly the case when an Asian wicket helps spinners as much as a wicket outside Asia would help Seamers. However the same is also true of flat wickets. If you get a flat wicket in Asia, the pitch is murdered by the press and experts alike, but a flat pitch outside Asia generally goes unnoticed and there is barely any comment made.

The perfect example was the wicket for the first test between Pakistan and England UAE. There was a lot of criticism of it and people called it a road, could land a plane on that etc. etc. However just days later, Aus NZ play a test in Perth on an even more road of a wicket, and people couldn't stop gushing about the runs that were scored on it.

Where this general bias against Asian pitches comes from I have no idea. An Asian wicket gets murdered for any deviation from some imaginary straight jacket rules some people have made about pitches, while pitches outside the sub-continent can flog those same rules at will and no one notices, and if anything, people go out of their way to put a positive spin on that deviation for pitches outside Asia.

Its sad but there it is.

Why was Villas chosen over Quinton ?

He had gone through some form issues in odi cricket, got one duck in the first test vs bangladesh and got dropped. Was basicly dropped based on odi form. Smart idea...Went on the a tour to India scored 2 hundreds and also scored 100's in the odi's vs india but wasn't recalled...

When the hospital conditions are too poor for the surgeon to work properly...We expect turn on good cricket wickets like we had in previous series in India, this was excessive...

Last edited:
Fking excited ... HBO confirm it ---

js-tease.jpg

How can any board not be interested in seeing the poster? It can never be too off-topic for any board :)

When the hospital when the conditions are too power for the surgeon to work properly...We expect turn on good cricket wickets like we had in previous series in India, this was excessive...
Would you agree that in this series at least, the Indian spinners where better than the South African spinners? Call it home ground advantage or whatever.. We as South Africans need better quality International spinners... if we did... it would definitely be a closer series!

Wow! Stefen, You actually defending this SA squad. I am big fan of SA but they surely disappointed me this time. I was hoping for a neck to neck fight but sadly, they performed so poorly that the series never looked liked a competitive one. I surely blame them for everything. They should have played sensibily. I didn't see any difference in pitches this time around and fact is indian Bolwers didn't take a single wicket which was actually turning in First test. If you say Hasim Amla , abd etc got out on a turner in 1st test and that was because of the pitch, then sorry, they don't know how to play spin. We played alot better than this on green tops.
You said Bangalore one was good. How much they made ? 300 ? No. They failed there too. You can't just make an excuse saying they would have played better in 2nd innings. They didn't played a single inning which can be categoried as good

wasnt snow aldready killed ? So he is being revived ?

Well no one really believed Jon Snow was actually dead ... he just had to come back and the net has been wild with theories ... and the teaser does confirm him not being dead in a way.

I don't think there's anything wrong with these pitches. The asian teams always get pitches that favour fast bowling when touring outside the subcontinent. Pakistan never complained about the pitches in the 2010 England tour, even though we were bowled out for less than 100 three times. The pitches weren't the problem, the batsmen were, and it's the same for South Africa.

Users who are viewing this thread