Spin Bowling Impression and questions..

yeah no matter how much spin I put on it, it doesn't turn so I don't bother. I just get the batsmen out by bowling line/length until they crack the $hits and make a mistake (like a stupid run or something).

I have a question - I'm a wrist spinner and I seem to be bowling a lot of wides, esp to LH batsmen bowling around the wicket. I'm doing everything the same - I bowled 4 wides in an over about 3 mins ago and I KNOW I did everything the same ie. standard legspin, 3 spins of the LAS, RAS full up position...and 4 times out of 4 the ball almost lands on the grass outside off. Is there something I'm missing re holding the RAS or LAS? drift? how the heck am I supposed to control drift if I don't know I'm making the ball drift (ie. it doesn't appear to drift when I'm bowling unlike facing say Fawad Ahmed). Really annoying.

yeah no matter how much spin I put on it, it doesn't turn so I don't bother. I just get the batsmen out by bowling line/length until they crack the $hits and make a mistake (like a stupid run or something).

I have a question - I'm a wrist spinner and I seem to be bowling a lot of wides, esp to LH batsmen bowling around the wicket. I'm doing everything the same - I bowled 4 wides in an over about 3 mins ago and I KNOW I did everything the same ie. standard legspin, 3 spins of the LAS, RAS full up position...and 4 times out of 4 the ball almost lands on the grass outside off. Is there something I'm missing re holding the RAS or LAS? drift? how the heck am I supposed to control drift if I don't know I'm making the ball drift (ie. it doesn't appear to drift when I'm bowling unlike facing say Fawad Ahmed). Really annoying.

I dont know how many overs of spin Ive bowled .. but its in the hundreds, and I have never seen a ball go where I didnt tell it to go. So I KNOW you didnt do everything the same.

It just doesnt randomly do things. It always bowls according to your input. It actually might be fun if the odd ball went astray.

As far as turn goes, If you are talking your career player at the start, then yeah it doesnt turn much. But if your talking real players then your wrong again. The good spinners .. murali et al get a ton of drift and a pretty big amount of turn. Like pretty damn impressive. The only balls that dont turn enough are the stock balls so perhaps you have only been bowling those if you arent seeing anything.

I'm enjoying my career mode as a spinner anyway, it feels more rounded than the pacers as there's a lot more you can do that feels useful. I generally think the bowling controls are actually very good. I haven't had much turn but playing in england with such low stats I didn't expect it to turn much. on the positive side it is good to see how you have to bowl differently when there isn't any bounce on offer.

I'll have to see if I get selected for sri lanka.

I dont know how many overs of spin Ive bowled .. but its in the hundreds, and I have never seen a ball go where I didnt tell it to go. So I KNOW you didnt do everything the same.

It just doesnt randomly do things. It always bowls according to your input. It actually might be fun if the odd ball went astray.

As far as turn goes, If you are talking your career player at the start, then yeah it doesnt turn much. But if your talking real players then your wrong again. The good spinners .. murali et al get a ton of drift and a pretty big amount of turn. Like pretty damn impressive. The only balls that dont turn enough are the stock balls so perhaps you have only been bowling those if you arent seeing anything.

Ok well that makes me feel a lot better (believe it or not). If its a problem with my action (or inputs), then its something I can fix hopefully. Just out of interest, after bowling do you hold down the RAS or just let it go?

I do both, I can't tell if it Makes a difference really

The usual is just a flick though.

After posting I went back and tried bowling again...I noticed that I have to now hold the RAS in the 11 o'clock position after bowling to keep the ball heading towards the stumps, whereas if I don't it seems to swing wide (to the right). Maybe drift?

I don't know about others but spin bowling and all that twirling is causing my controller to wear out. The L3 stick from the inside is creating alot of friction with the plastic and causing it to breakdown. I think my controller is going to break because of this. Cant really explain it will put up a picture of this soon? Not happy:noway

Last edited:
Not required thanks.

Silly post is bad enough without pictures

----------

After posting I went back and tried bowling again...I noticed that I have to now hold the RAS in the 11 o'clock position after bowling to keep the ball heading towards the stumps, whereas if I don't it seems to swing wide (to the right). Maybe drift?

I'm not sure what's going on with your setup but it I don't have to hold RAS

Not required thanks.

Silly post is bad enough without pictures

----------

I'm not sure what's going on with your setup but it I don't have to hold RAS

I think its pretty much required, because as you play this game for another few months you will surely ruin a few controllers.

I think its pretty much required, because as you play this game for another few months you will surely ruin a few controllers.

Ive changed my mind, youre right!

When you finish taking those photos will you be able to take a few for me?

I want to post some over on the BMW forum, Ive noticed that the idiots in their design team have done something that is making my tires wear out :( Not happy!

I don't know about others but spin bowling and all that twirling is causing my controller to wear out. The L3 stick from the inside is creating alot of friction with the plastic and causing it to breakdown. I think my controller is going to break because of this. Cant really explain it will put up a picture of this soon? Not happy:noway

I have the same issue. Not a fan of the spin bowling system to be honest. Besides it ruining my DS3, it feels clunky and non-intuitive to me.

Love bowling spin, definitely one of the best parts, and I have got plenty of spin with Swann, had a ball bounce around 3 inches outside of off and beat the batsman and just clip leg stump ... i had doubted the turn and spin but that ball showed me it does happen and can happen in big ways!

I also find batting against spin to be a great challenge, struggle all the time with so many LBW's from trying to play a shot that I shouldn't

I couldn't get the hang of spinning the LAS clockwise...maybe because I'm right handed, I dunno...but feels really awkward. Spinning it anticlockwise though is pretty easy. But yes, absolutely love the spin bowling in the game - only wish you could actually see the turn. I've found that my most dangerous ball is the stock leg spin but bowled sort of 'line and length' which the AI batsmen can't seem to handle. I'm fully expecting BA to change this though.

I can't seem to get above 1000 RPMs no matter how much I try. I also miss the stumps so many times on a good length delivery...much be something I'm doing with the RAS at delivery..I'm not sure but the number of times I've had the batsman play and miss and the ball would bounce over the stumps, esp when they're on 145 or something...aarrrgghhhh. Still get them out eventually though.

*edit*
I also agree....the constant use of the LAS stick for spinning is doing untold damage to my controller :(

I've gone through quite a few games in career mode as a no.11 spin bowler so am noticing a few more nuances to it.

you definitely get turn, but it's dependent on pitch conditions,I have seen a cracked pitch where the ball turned from off stump past leg stump. there's far more on offer in the second innings too, use drift and flight until then.

RPMs are linked to skill, my off-spinner is regularly up in the 2000s now without me putting much effort in, it's about 2 thirds full. his doosra though is only floating about 1000 rpms because it's only 1 third full. I'm going to take a wild punt here and say maximum skill in a bar gets around 3000 rpms.

I don't think the spinning is doing much harm to my controller, it's not about speed or even fluidity, it's about timing 3 rotations on the release of the ball, so you've plenty of time to circle at a leisurely pace.

still getting the hang of it, not really figured out drift yet, I had one ball drift miles (and take a wicket as the batsman chased it to tamely sweep into the fielders hands) and have no idea how I achieved that.

there's a lot to it, the game definitely seems to have some sort of memory where you're luring them into making the mistake. I'm pretty sure the rythym comes into it too as there are matches where I can put the ball on a sixpence and others where I'm struggling with my line.

yeah makes sense if the rpm's are linked to skill. Having said that, you still need to time the last turn with the RAS up (or left/right) - if you don't you get 180rpm (funnily enough...I've gotten a few wickets like that - ball went straight on for an LBW or bowled). :D

Ive changed my mind, youre right!

When you finish taking those photos will you be able to take a few for me?

I want to post some over on the BMW forum, Ive noticed that the idiots in their design team have done something that is making my tires wear out :( Not happy!

No wonder, at least now i know that you own a BMX. I'll keep that in mind when i reply to your posts :lol

Users who are viewing this thread