Spot Fixing Scandal Thread: The Legend Continues

Didn't Riaz get into a scuffle with Trott during the tour? Possible signs of his guilty conscience bubbling under the surface.

That is an awful way of judging anybody did anything fishy or not and for your kind of information it was Trott who first used some harsh words....

If Riaz did anything like the trio then one must need to check the roots. It make things much more awful for Pakistani cricket becuase it will suggest that your domestic circuit is full of CHEATERS. It is really hard to tell your cheating secrets to a player who just debut, so I believe Majeed is trying to save himself now.
All four must be put into the jail with Amir a little less punishment but he must need some punishment. Asif as always is a curse to his talent and to cricket so I pray that he will be punished the most.

Addy I hope you understand, match/spot fixing means betraying one's country. I hope all the bastards are tried for treason in court of law.

With Amir, I would be ok with a reduction to two or three years in some circumstances, but those circumstances are a long way from being enforced so no way. if pakistant want to be rewarded by having their best players made available again then they need to actually do stuff to prove it won't happen again and they're extremely sorry it happened at all.

Pakistans team and board is still harbouring cheats.

there was one incredibly dodgey thing I noticed about the match fixing, send2yaari said that it seems like pakistans domestic cricuit is full of cheats but most of the players came from modeltown greens, which Majeed I believe was heavily involved in. This is bad enough, BUT, there was also the matter that these modeltown greens players seemed to find it much easier to get into the national team and then retain their place.

I believe Fawad Alam was having a storming domestic season, he'd come in for a couple of games and then never been re-selected. Manzoor played the only innings worthy of any fight in australia and yet found himself thrown out. Ajmal was constantly on the verge of being dropped. I think there was someone else too, but for the life of me I can't remember?

However, Kamran Akmal seemed to be undroppable (which is ironic) even after diabolical runs of form he'd be back in the side after a few matches, Riaz came from nowhere to cement his place, Umar Akmal was the same.

It just seemed so geared up for getting as many modeltown green players in the starting XI as possible.

I think Aamirs circumstances were taken into account and hence he didnt get as bad as punishment as the rest. Its upto him to make use of his career.

Ban the rest, anyone who is even linked to it, we are not getting ????? in International Cricket, and I dont mind losing week in week out, if we have got the right squad with the right commitment.

2 Years was enough for the kid IMO. everybody has his own opinion and none can change that.

I think 5 is fair tbh. Need to make an example of him.

Life bans for the rest I say.

If we're serious about stamping out corruption, it needs to be harsh. Aamir is likely to get a second chance, not for his sake, but for the game's image, I hope he takes it and can give something back to the game.

If anything I'd go the other way and say Aamir is lucky that he's (probably) going to get that chance. To be the antagonist, why should he be allowed to play again when he's been a knowing part of a group trying to cheat the game? He may be young, but it's not like he's below the age of legal responsibility. He's not a child.

why should he be allowed to play again when he's been a knowing part of a group trying to cheat the game?

No-one's been found to have cheated the game! The mug punters are the ones who have been cheated. However the harsh penalties were imposed for bringing the noble art of bookmaking into disrepute!

They are intended to whitewash the fact that bookies - and some of their big clients - are immensely corrupt all over the world.

In other news, Australian domestic (NRL) rugby league player (Ryan Tandy) has been found guilty of spot fixing. And fined $4000, with no jailtime, nothing! He is suspended indefinitely from the NRL, but no ban as such has been imposed. The international governing body of rugby league does not even appear to be involved. I raise this to highlight the double standard!

With Amir, I would be ok with a reduction to two or three years in some circumstances, but those circumstances are a long way from being enforced so no way. if pakistant want to be rewarded by having their best players made available again then they need to actually do stuff to prove it won't happen again and they're extremely sorry it happened at all.

Pakistans team and board is still harbouring cheats.

there was one incredibly dodgey thing I noticed about the match fixing, send2yaari said that it seems like pakistans domestic cricuit is full of cheats but most of the players came from modeltown greens, which Majeed I believe was heavily involved in. This is bad enough, BUT, there was also the matter that these modeltown greens players seemed to find it much easier to get into the national team and then retain their place.

I believe Fawad Alam was having a storming domestic season, he'd come in for a couple of games and then never been re-selected. Manzoor played the only innings worthy of any fight in australia and yet found himself thrown out. Ajmal was constantly on the verge of being dropped. I think there was someone else too, but for the life of me I can't remember?

However, Kamran Akmal seemed to be undroppable (which is ironic) even after diabolical runs of form he'd be back in the side after a few matches, Riaz came from nowhere to cement his place, Umar Akmal was the same.

It just seemed so geared up for getting as many modeltown green players in the starting XI as possible.

It may be something related to a "modeltown" but the main reason of not selecting the karachi players is basically now board is full of Lahorian's and they are trying to pick more punjabi players.

----------

He may be young, but it's not like he's below the age of legal responsibility. He's not a child.

So you consider an 18 years old boy as a grownup man? I still feel that he was forced to do this and since he was not as experience but talented as other players, he was picked specially by Asif, Butt and Majeed.

Yes, because bans are handed out based on what the judge "felt" happened :facepalm...

He HAS to be used as an example because if the authorities concerned are lenient with him then in the future, younger players will know that they can earn huge paychecks under the table and if they get caught, they would have only lost 2 years. Yes, he was surrounded by influential people but he still had a choice. He made the wrong choice and he betrayed the game, his board (although PCB might even be in on it), his non-fixing teammates, and most importantly, his country.

Last edited:
Someone has mentioned that all the players in contention for spot fixing play for the same dom team. Just pointing it out.

Aamir is well divided opinion. People are saying that hes an 18 year old mature enough to make decisions etc, but I would like to point hes an uneducated 18 year old, coming from a small town, so a def. difference between him and your average 18 year old in UK.

Someone has mentioned that all the players in contention for spot fixing play for the same dom team. Just pointing it out.

Aamir is well divided opinion. People are saying that hes an 18 year old mature enough to make decisions etc, but I would like to point hes an uneducated 18 year old, coming from a small town, so a def. difference between him and your average 18 year old in UK.

Right, and we understand that but it just leads to massive inconsistencies in the system. What if tomorrow an 18 year old, well educated South African (or any other nationality) kid from a wealthy family in the capital of the nation is caught in the same situation as Amir. He can't make those same excuses because they aren't valid and so he gets banned for 5 years or life, while Amir gets banned for 5 years or as some are advocating, 2?

I agree with you on this. Like I said earlier we don't know the full details of whats actually going on, sure he should be able to make his own decisions but how do we know he wasn't in a similar situation as with Haider, having himself and his family threatened??

Right, and we understand that but it just leads to massive inconsistencies in the system. What if tomorrow an 18 year old, well educated South African (or any other nationality) kid from a wealthy family in the capital of the nation is caught in the same situation as Amir. He can't make those same excuses because they aren't valid and so he gets banned for 5 years or life, while Amir gets banned for 5 years or as some are advocating, 2?

5 years is fine for Aamir, but no life ban for the reason that he was probably really pressured into doing it; and given the Pak team system he probably had no one he could go to.
His situation is quite unique because in that very innings he was caught he did bowl brilliantly and take 6 wickets. He clearly was playing to win; it looked like he was forced into bowling a couple of no-balls by the bullying of guys like Butt and Akmal.

Users who are viewing this thread