Spot Fixing Scandal Thread: The Legend Continues

No-one's been found to have cheated the game! The mug punters are the ones who have been cheated. However the harsh penalties were imposed for bringing the noble art of bookmaking into disrepute!

Bowling no-balls deliberately obviously had no impact on the match in point.

Don't care about bookies losing out, the more they do so the better. What they did affected so much more than the bookies and those who betted on it.

So you consider an 18 years old boy as a grownup man? I still feel that he was forced to do this and since he was not as experience but talented as other players, he was picked specially by Asif, Butt and Majeed.

Of course. You know right from wrong well before being 18 and that certain actions have punishments. In fact the age of criminal responsibility is lower in Pakistan than it is in the UK from what I can tell.

Right, and we understand that but it just leads to massive inconsistencies in the system. What if tomorrow an 18 year old, well educated South African (or any other nationality) kid from a wealthy family in the capital of the nation is caught in the same situation as Amir. He can't make those same excuses because they aren't valid and so he gets banned for 5 years or life, while Amir gets banned for 5 years or as some are advocating, 2?

I understand what you are saying, but I would like to point out something.

If its law as in written legislation, then the system must be consistent. If its in the ICC Laws, that any one caught in any sort of fixing gets x amount of years ban, then yes there should be no inconsistency and we will not have to look at the persons circumstances. If however the law is not clear, which in this matter seems to be (ie the punishment given to fixers), the court has the discretion to give the appropriate punishment based on the severity of the crime as well as the circumstances leading upto it.

You never know whether the court deciding the punishment looked into these conditions or they didnt. I think they did considering Asif is banned for a longer time (?) than Aamir. His 5 year ban can be harsh/lenient depending on different people and all I am trying to say is that even though Aamir has fixed it just like any other wrong-doer, he is just not as guilty as someone who commits match fixing, or a similar deed with less favourable circumstances.

I guess none of the Pakistani cricket lover will say that leave any match fixer and don't give hime any sort of punishment. I believe he should be punish for what he had done but I want to eradicate this problem from its roots.

Probably the best way is to cleanup the PCB and that can only be done by ICC at the moment. ICC needs to talk clear to the PCB and ask them have a proper democratic governing body with what ever quantity of retired players they want BUT a proper governing body.

I can smell that there is something fishy from the very basic and that is domestic cricket of Pakistan. Per match wages are low and players wants to play aswell so to earn some of them in domestic are also using unfair means specially in T20 domestic cup becuase its a nation wide hit.

Taking them down with him or really true?

I suspect that he was saying that to show off how much power he could wield to potential co-conspirators to entice money. I'd like the claims to be looked into though just for the sheer scale of what he's claiming.

He's just hoping that by making such a bullshit claim, the rest of his statements will be deemed just as worthless, even though there's probably a decent amount of truth to them.

He's just hoping that by making such a bullshit claim, the rest of his statements will be deemed just as worthless, even though there's probably a decent amount of truth to them.

I am not sure, but I think his statements were said during the videos and not the trial. Can someone clear that out?

Don't care about bookies losing out, the more they do so the better. What they did affected so much more than the bookies and those who betted on it.

I certainly don't care about bookies being out-of-pocket either.

It is precisely the overreaction to what these three did that has done the damage. The jumped-to conclusion that there is a nationwide conspiracy in Pakistan and all their players, officials, results and performances are fair game for suspicion - it's completely over the top and has done all the perceived damage to cricket's credibility. Not to mention the ridiculous corollary that all other countries are "whiter than white" (I use the phrase advisedly).

Is there a thread on here somewhere about Ryan Tandy, and tarring all Australians with the same brush? I don't think so. Why is that? (I hope it's not because of how much whiter he is...)

There are lots of valid suspicions regarding Pakistani players and officials. Specifically, several are suspected of match-fixing, and this suspicion does tarnish the credibility of the game somewhat. But they are entitled to the same presumption of innocence until proven otherwise that is extended to everyone else.

As for the whole effort to spin the thing as if Pakistan is the root of all evil, it just adds to the problem rather than combatting it. In the area of corruption of officials, we all know that this is not restricted to Pakistan - Modi and Stanford are not Pakistani - so let's just cut the crap.

Is there a thread on here somewhere about Ryan Tandy, and tarring all Australians with the same brush? I don't think so. Why is that? (I hope it's not because of how much whiter he is...)

Dunno what you're on about with this. Firstly, he's an Irish international anyway. I saw him play a week after the incident and then haven't seen him since and from what I can gather, he won't play in the NRL again. If the ESL is okay with someone like that in their ranks and he can take advantage of a loophole because he has an Irish passport to avoid the conviction, then there's not much the NRL can do.

I certainly don't care about bookies being out-of-pocket either.

It is precisely the overreaction to what these three did that has done the damage. The jumped-to conclusion that there is a nationwide conspiracy in Pakistan and all their players, officials, results and performances are fair game for suspicion - it's completely over the top and has done all the perceived damage to cricket's credibility. Not to mention the ridiculous corollary that all other countries are "whiter than white" (I use the phrase advisedly).

There are lots of valid suspicions regarding Pakistani players and officials. Specifically, several are suspected of match-fixing, and this suspicion does tarnish the credibility of the game somewhat. But they are entitled to the same presumption of innocence until proven otherwise that is extended to everyone else.

As for the whole effort to spin the thing as if Pakistan is the root of all evil, it just adds to the problem rather than combatting it. In the area of corruption of officials, we all know that this is not restricted to Pakistan - Modi and Stanford are not Pakistani - so let's just cut the crap.

You forgot BCCI :p

I suspect that he was saying that to show off how much power he could wield to potential co-conspirators to entice money. I'd like the claims to be looked into though just for the sheer scale of what he's claiming.
He also mentions Pakistan players from the mid-90s, but that was well known and I really doubt he had any first hand knowledge about that. Quite possibly none beyond what everyone else would have read in the papers.

If Butt's maiden over is a common example, then they really need some enticing, or most people would baulk at the sheer unreliability of it. They've got the tape of Butt agreeing to do it, but it still didn't happen; then they say that batting a maiden against the new ball is hard and he accidentally hit runs. So even within the realm of 'fixing' there are lots of dodgy get-out clauses to allow them to do whatever they want and keep taking money.

With that in mind, the sting footage is likely far more liberal with the truth than anything he might give in testament. People lie all the time in confidence, but to take the stand and do your level best to commit perjury (or at least slander) is a pretty serious offence to commit when you might actually be escaping trial.

This thing is getting messier by the second. One thing to note is that Mazhar Majeed was trying to impress the incognito journalist. I don't know how reliable his allegations against Aussies and other Pakistani players of past could be.

Users who are viewing this thread