Spot Fixing Scandal Thread: The Legend Continues

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Um, that's been the whole point of this trial. It's a criminial prosecution brought by the police, it has nothing to do with the ICC as criminal prosecution is outside of their jurisdiction.

This is all about them breaking the laws of the UK. I'm a little surprised some people are only just catching on to this, what did you think the trial was for?

Their liability is potentially 9 years in jail for Asif and Butt. Really have no idea why people think just a ban from the ICC (who wouldn't have been able to enforce said ban at all levels, they have no power to, in reality) is fair. This is corruption of hundreds of thousands of pounds.

As Colin said, they'll probably tootle off to Dubai and never face the custodial sentences they are likely to face.

It's time for cricket to get tough.

I know what the trial is about, its just that calling this activity criminal in the general sense is slightly, I dont know, different?

They committed spot-fixing, not match fixing. Banning them from all sorts of cricket is one thing, but jail time? Considering people who do alot less get punished with less severity.

Not saying they shouldnt be prosecuted in the UK, but maybe jail-time is going a bit too far.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
They have been found guilty of spot fixing because that was the only one instance that was documented. Maybe if NOTW had not documented that, that instance wouldn't have been surfaced either. They have already said they are looking into irregularities shown in other matches as well. The no balls were just an indication to Mahmood of the power Majeed had over the two bowlers. It was to show that he was serious and he was telling the truth. There's no telling how much further this whole thing stretches or would/could have stretched if Mahmood wasn't an undercover reporter.

Who was calling for the death penalty? :S

Well I was but it is more out of sheer frustration of what they have done? Pakistani nation loves cricket. It is the only reprieve we have from harsh truths of wretchedness that has corrupted the very fabric of society. We wake up at dawn to watch our team play. Players are treated like gods here. They are paid well and handsomely.
What they repay us with is spot fixing and match fixing. They betray their motherland. That is treason in my books.

aayush93

Club Cricketer
Well I was but it is more out of sheer frustration of what they have done? Pakistani nation loves cricket. It is the only reprieve we have from harsh truths of wretchedness that has corrupted the very fabric of society. We wake up at dawn to watch our team play. Players are treated like gods here. They are paid well and handsomely.
What they repay us with is spot fixing and match fixing. They betray their motherland. That is treason in my books.

Well i think they were not earning as much they should have earn after having such talent...

In Pakistan Cricket Things changes so much quickly that i think Player wants to maximize their earning when they get chance to play.

Ex: Afridi was captain in first Test against Aus in Eng and then they made Butt as captain for second Test and Eng Series.

I won't blame players entirely for these things..
PCB has also played big hands in it. These guys must have had the support of PCB, otherwise they would have not dare to do it. These guys must have thought that even if get caught, PCB will not ban them for such long time. But unluckily ICC took control of this thing and then the court.

Abt Aamir: i think He is full-hearted cricketer and want to do well for his country and for himself. He must have thought if he even bowls a no-ball (1 run) in a test match then that would not effect the result of the game.

But laws don't see these things.... :noway

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's not that 'laws don't see these things' but that jurors and lawmakers have to take much more into account. Character and track record are very important to a case, but decisions in law are based on the balance of a much greater equation. If it was only ever about the context of the individual, then there wouldn't be much point in having laws.

In any case, no law can undo what Amir has already done to his career and reputation.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Aamir Sohail's Reaction after the verdict ""I think the PCB should have played a more pro-active role last year when the issue came up and brought the players back to Pakistan immediately and tried them under our code of conduct. They should not have let the matter go into the hands of the ICC."

Am i the only one who is interpreting this as " We should have covered it up better" :p

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Aamir Sohail is not "Covering up kind of a guy". He is the one who blew the whistle on match fixing in nineties.

Sureshot

Executive member
I know what the trial is about, its just that calling this activity criminal in the general sense is slightly, I dont know, different?

They committed spot-fixing, not match fixing. Banning them from all sorts of cricket is one thing, but jail time? Considering people who do alot less get punished with less severity.

Not saying they shouldnt be prosecuted in the UK, but maybe jail-time is going a bit too far.

Conspiracy to obtain and accept corrupt payments isn't criminal?

Corruption is something that has to be dealt with an iron fist, or you won't stop it (well, the reality is of course that you barely ever touch the surface of corruption, but given the chance, be tough). Sure, it's not murder (or relevant to any violent crime), but it's still worthy of jail time to all of them. A message has to be sent. Especially with the weak defences of Asif and Butt who tried their luck and lost.

I thought Amir might avoid jail, but he seems to be annoying the judge with changes in position (the whole, "I was pressurised in to it but I can't blame the people who were in a position to pressurise me" crap) which isn't advisable! Don't think any of them will get the maximum jail sentences, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a couple of years for Asif, Butt and Majeed (maybe less as he pleaded guilty)

If any of them play professional cricket again I will weep for the credibility of our sport.

Auwais

International Coach
It's straight up fraud, why is anyone surprised at the prospect of custodial sentences?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Just noticed this tucked away in the BBC article:

The agent said he gave such a high payment to Asif because he feared the bowler would ally himself with a rival Pakistan fixing racket, the barrister said.

:eek:

CricketFan999

Club Cricketer
I can't understand how anyone would expect anything other than jail time. The fact that it's cricket or that they're Pakistani cricketers is irrelevant. They got paid to do something that would allowed people to take thousands, if not millions of pounds (or whatever currency) from companies. If someone let robbers into a museum or bank or any shop they'd be just as responsible as the actual robbers.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
They got paid to do something that would allowed people to take thousands, if not millions of pounds (or whatever currency) from companies. If someone let robbers into a museum or bank or any shop they'd be just as responsible as the actual robbers.

topical! oh wait, we're not talking about city bankers and the bailout.

but yeah, it would still be a pretty huge step. match fixing has happened before and hasn't lead to jail time. Quinten Hann agreed to do the same thing (although in this case the Sun didn't actually finalise the agreement) Matt le tissier openly admitted he did exactly the same thing, taking money for kicking the ball out of touch for spread betting purposes.

how is what the pakistan cricketers did worse than what Cronje did?

I'm not saying I don't think jail time is appropriate, that is besides the point, the point is that jail time would not be inkeeping with the outcome of past match fixing scandals.

Sureshot

Executive member
It's impossible to compare what is fair in relation to the crime when they happen in different legal systems.

You have a point though.

ksduded

Club Cricketer
They have been found guilty of spot fixing because that was the only one instance that was documented. Maybe if NOTW had not documented that, that instance wouldn't have been surfaced either. They have already said they are looking into irregularities shown in other matches as well. The no balls were just an indication to Mahmood of the power Majeed had over the two bowlers. It was to show that he was serious and he was telling the truth. There's no telling how much further this whole thing stretches or would/could have stretched if Mahmood wasn't an undercover reporter.

Who was calling for the death penalty? :S

for a long time I had the same impression too. NOTW basically invoked human nature..... But recent releases by Mazhar Majeed indicate that Butt was the one who asked to find people to spot fix. Not sure if Mazhar is telling the truth or not. But if he is, then Butt was the one who instigated everything and therefore, its criminal. I as a Pakistani feel ashamed because of this, and I am sure the rest of the 180 million do too. The trio represented Pakistan in a very bad light and I would want them to receive jail time.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Just noticed this tucked away in the BBC article:

Quote:
The agent said he gave such a high payment to Asif because he feared the bowler would ally himself with a rival Pakistan fixing racket, the barrister said.

:eek:

Scared me too! Just conjures up rather disturbing images of pretty much the entire Pakistan team and beyond being involved with various organisations.

"Hi there Mr Majeed, I'd like to be able to bet on the 5th over of the Pakistan bowling performance going for at least 10 runs.

"Sorry Mr Criminal, but unfortunately as things presently stand, I only have access to the second opening bowler, first change and a wicket-keeper. You'll have to speak to Jim'll if you'd like the opening bowler or the opening batsman and I believe Cheats Ltd have the entire middle order."

To all those that have said the criminal prosecutions have been harsh because it's just 'spot fixing.' Try to consider that fraud is fraud regardless. Not to mention, that this just happens to be what they were caught doing. Who can say with any real conviction (with the possible exception of Amir) that they think this is the only time any of these players have been involved with such behaviour?

Users who are viewing this thread