Sri Lanka in England 2011

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I'm not sure Bopara brings anything either. You probably want to be looking at the Stokes or Taylors, someone where getting a look at them could really tell you something. James Taylor could be especially relevant with respect to KP's performance at number 4. If they don't drop KP, they really shouldn't keep him at 4.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ravi is just too inconsistent with the bat for my liking, he seems to have a bad patch of form every year. Not writing him off at all, but he has more to prove.

Taylor is someone I'm really excited about, I think he's a great talent, as is Stokes. There's clearly question marks over KP and Bell, I think Samit is good enough to be our #6 and if we can get some good players in at 7/8 he'd be a more than useful 6th bowler. Bell is not a #6 batsman imo, he has to bat top 4. I'd even be tempted to drop KP for India series, put Bell at 4 and Patel at 6.

KP is so hard because of what he has done and the fact he has been looking better, but looking better isn't something to select someone on. Everyone knows what he can do, on his day he is the best batsman in the world, we all want to see that again, I think he's getting nearer, but is it time for him to make that further step within the England setup or back at Surrey?

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I think he's getting nearer, but is it time for him to make that further step within the England setup or back at Surrey

I'd suggest you persist with him ala Strauss, Cook and Bell (tests). They've gone from being on the verge of being dropping to putting in stellar performances. Certainly isn't an easy one. I don't agree with of those who continue the arguement its only cause its KP he hasn't been dropped as England do have a history of sticking with someone who eventually does come good though.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
England win Test Series 1-0
England lose T20
England win ODI Series 3-2

Leading Run Scorer Test Series:
AN Cook 390 runs at 97.50, HS 133

Leading Wicket Taker Test Series:
CT Tremlett 15 wickets at 23.40, BBI 6/48

Player of the series:
AN Cook

Leading Run Scorer ODI Series:
AN Cook 298 runs at 74.50, HS 119

Leading Wicket Taker ODI Series:
S Randiv 9 wickets at 20.44, BBI 5/42

Player of the series:
AN Cook

Overall Player of the Tour:
AN Cook
Honorable Mention: DPMD Jayawardene

Player Ratings (Test) England:
AN Cook 9/10, Absolute class throughout, scoring runs and dominating the opposition bowling.

A Strauss 6/10, Batting was woeful at times but still managed to lead his team well.

IJL Trott 8/10, Another solid series, not his best, although he scored a century and averaged 66.

IR Bell 9/10, The best middle order batsman on show from both sides, 2 centuries, 2 50s and an average of over a 100 says it all.

KP Pietersen 6/10, 2 50s and a few boundaries but not what was expected from one of the most talented batsmen on the planet. Disappointing overall.

EJG Morgan 8/10, Not as fluent as he can be but still imaginative, bringing his ODI flair into the test arena.

MJ Prior 8/10, As reliable as ever behind the stumps with some splendid lower middle order innings.

SCJ Broad 5/10, Average would be the best way to describe his bowling, and he wasn't much better with the bat. May be time for a rest?

GP Swann 8/10, As mesmeric to watch as always, beguiling batsmen with flight and just the hint of turn, another magic series for the spin master.

CT Tremlett 9/10, Menacing, fast, hard and with that extra bounce that troubles batsmen from the subcontinent, Tremlett did it all.

JM Anderson 7/10, When the ball was swinging there was no one better, but he never quite managed to reach the heights of last summer.

ST Finn 5/10, Just the one game but 4 wickets and managed to look good in spots.

Player Ratings (Test) Sri Lanka:
TM Dilshan 9/10, A sublime 193 at Lords for the new captain and an average of 84, did everything he could to try and press for a victory. Excellent series for SLs new leader.

NT Paranavitana 7/10, Some good innings and starts, with a couple half-centuries but all in all, not at his best.

KC Sangakkara 6/10, Anotehr disappointing tour to England, although he managed a century, it was a little too late from the normally masterful number 3.

DPMD Jayawardene 4/10, Absolutely atrocious series for the little master, not even close to making an impact.

TT Samaraweera 7/10, Another good series for the ever improving batsman but he never lit up the big stage, although he had plenty of starts.

HAPW Jayawardene 8/10, Very good series for the keeper. His not the most athletic behind the stumps but is decent enough to take the required chances, coupled with some very good batting.

NLTC Perera 4/10, Nothing spectacular, seemed to be there to make up the numbers. A below average performance.

CRD Fernando 6/10, Batted better than he bowled and the bowling left a lot to be desired.

BCA Welegedera 6/10, Just goes to show how woeful Sri Lankas bowling was, considering that he was the leading wicket taker.

MF Maharoof 3/10, Can't say more than that.

RKB Herath 6/10, Bowled well in patches and looked like he could do a lot better.

RAS Lakmal 6/10, Looks a good find, decent pace and a little swing. Wasn't the series for him but he can bounce back.

BAW Mendis 3/10, Just the one game and no impact what so ever.

Player Ratings (ODI) England:
AN Cook 8/10, Showed to everyone who doubted him that he is every bit as good in the limited overs game as he can be in Tests. Captained the side well, bringing England back from a 2-1 deficit.

C Kieswetter 7/10, 2 half centuries and some very clean hitting. Showed he can hold back too, but still managed to throw away a couple good starts. Learning and maturing.

IJL Trott 6/10, Worse ODI series thus far for Trott, but he still looked solid and managed a half century.

KP Pietersen 5/10, One good knock aside, KP was barely average and is starting to look out of sorts.

IR Bell 4/10, Did nothing, barely making it into double figures on occasion. ODI cricket may not be for Bell.

EJG Morgan 7/10, Once again played creative and charismatic innings in the lower middle order, giving the team that little bit extra.

TT Bresnan 7/10, Is turning into a decent allrounder but does require more work, especially in his batting.

SCJ Broad 4/10, Really has not made the most of his opportunities. May not see him against India.

GP Swann 8/10, Looked great with the ball as always and chipped in with the bat. Another very good series.

JM Anderson 7/10, There was no one better when the ball was swinging. Managed to make his presence felt on some of the flatter pitches but wasn't as big a threat.

JW Dernbach 6/10, Too many slower balls, nothing out of the ordinary. A very English bowler with not much going for him. Picked up 8 wickets but many of them were tokens.

SR Patel 3/10, Just the one match and once again was not surprised by his lack of....well anything.

Player Ratings (ODI) Sri Lanka:
TM Dilshan 4/10, Couldn't buy a run and looked out of sorts when the pressure was put his way as captain.

LD Chandimal 7/10, Batted very well for his century and looked to take on the English bowlers.

ST Jayasuriya 1/10, Retired now hopefully.

KC Sangakkara 6/10, Looked like his old self in patches but still never managed to take any game by the scruff of the neck.

DPMD Jayawardene 7/10, Batted like a star in the opening position but after being moved down struggled a little.

SHT Kndamby 5/10, Average and almost disappeared. No impact at all.

AD Mathews 7/10, Almost won the decider all by himself but was seriously lacking when it came to his bowling.

S Randiv 8/10, The stand out for SL in the series. Showed the tourists how to ball.

SL Malinga 6/10, Looked good in patches and bowled well at the death every now and then. But his limitations are coming to the fore now more than ever.

RAS Lakmal 7/10, Only other Lankan bowler to make the batsmen think.

KMDN Kuasekera 2/10, What to say...

BMAJ Mendis 5/10, Another average SL performer.

KTGD Prasad 4/10, One game and bowled ok but not much to go on.

Tour Review Score: 5/10, An average Test series followed by a dull ODI series which did at least culminate in an exciting final.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
looking at sri lanka's batsmen in the ODI series and given sangakkara is getting on in years they should give Prasana Jayawardene a go. He batted superbly in the tests and they don't exactly have batsmen queuing round the block to get in the team.

also, they need to dump mathews bowling. with perera and jeevan mendis about they don't need all-rounders. Mathews is a decent bowler but could be a world class batsman, something I think sri lanka will need in the coming years.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Just saw the highlights of the last match. That's all I've seen of the ODI series, and Chandimal has seriously impressed me. Glorious, fearless stroke play. Kind of reminded me of U Akmal if I'm honest. Hope he doesn't devlop the same temprement.

Matthews continues to mesmerize me. With those weak-looking skinny arms, I'm still amazed at the frequency at which he manages to muscle the ball to the boundary.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Guess this thread will have to do. Good victory by Scotland chasing down 320, always nice to see the associates not crumbling once a 300 total has been set.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
holy what.

hey, this tour isn't over. we're playing sri lanka tomorrow. I'm going, even though I'm sick of odi cricket we don't play anything else. also feel a bit vindicated, I said we should have been at the WC and the qualifying was done way too early for associates. we've been doing well the last year or so and would have been better than kenya or canada.

might even have a shot at springing an upset tomorrow, doubt malinga will play so it's not like we're going to have anything too menacing to face bowling wise.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Oh a conflict for you Stinky - your 2 teams going at it. Well, anyway the game is over and the brave Scots got pummelled by 183 runs, bowled out for 101. Malinga took 5.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
yeah, I thought malinga wouldn't play, he did and he tore us apart. hit two massive sixes when we were trying to keep the score at 260ish and then had us down to 12-3. still, was a beauty of a day and nice to see jayawardene score and malinga bowl well. Ajantha looks truely rubbish now, I can't believe how flat he bowls.

sl4.jpg

sl3.jpg

sl2.jpg

i think i have a better one of malinga bowling somewhere on my cam.

tried to get sanga's autograph but he had to go just before I got to him sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread