Sri Lanka tour of England - Limited Overs Cricket (May - June)

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can't see a thread for this, so here I am, doing my Community work. ;) Well, assuming I haven't looked in the wrong place!

I figure we'll have a separate thread for the Tests, as they tend to get more interest.

So Sri Lanka's squads can be found here:

T20 Squad
ODI Squad

England have named their squads today and are as follows:

Twenty20 Squad
Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Ian Bell Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Jos Buttler, Michael Carberry, Harry Gurney, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Joe Root, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes

ODI squad (first three matches)
Alastair Cook (capt), James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Jos Buttler, Michael Carberry, Harry Gurney, Chris Jordan, Eoin Morgan, Joe Root, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes

Carberry makes the squads, despite not being used in the Winter in these forms of the game and Ian Bell is in the T20 squad. Seems like a few runs against Scotland is the reason for his inclusion, which is interesting selection work.

Any views?

Can't see a thread for this, so here I am, doing my Community work. ;) Well, assuming I haven't looked in the wrong place!

I figure we'll have a separate thread for the Tests, as they tend to get more interest.

So Sri Lanka's squads can be found here:

T20 Squad
ODI Squad

England have named their squads today and are as follows:

Twenty20 Squad
Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Ian Bell Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Jos Buttler, Michael Carberry, Harry Gurney, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Joe Root, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes

ODI squad (first three matches)
Alastair Cook (capt), James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Jos Buttler, Michael Carberry, Harry Gurney, Chris Jordan, Eoin Morgan, Joe Root, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes

Carberry makes the squads, despite not being used in the Winter in these forms of the game and Ian Bell is in the T20 squad. Seems like a few runs against Scotland is the reason for his inclusion, which is interesting selection work.

Any views?

Picking Moeen for T20s alone does not make sense. Not sure what Bresnan has done to warrant continuous selection. Carberry is a good inclusion , I believe he can become very good if given proper support. He looked very nervous in his international outings. And I feel there has been some alteration to his game when he plays for England. He plays way better for Hampshire. What do you think of picking Vince or Compton in the next ODI squads , i.e , after the 3rd ODI?

I agree on Ali. I think he's probably a better fit for ODIs, but I can understand him being in both, but just T20s doesn't make a lot of sense. My point on Carberry was more that he didn't get a go in the winter, he's a good player for sure and probably better in Limited overs stuff than Tests.

Compton has no chance of making the ODI squad, he barely gets into the Somerset team for One Day cricket. Vince could be a decent shout as an opener/number 3, as I think he'd be wasted lower down, but that means he'd be competing with the likes of Cook and Bell.

Tredwell is playing 2ndXI cricket for Kent and still gets picked for England :lol

Can't really complain about the squads really, nice to see Carberry back.

Ian Bell is not a T20 player, not sure why is in, Lumb/Hales partnership in T20 has been going quite well.

At first glance I don't think Gunrey is international quality, seems to have been picked just because he is a left-armer. I've been more impressed with Tymal Mills as a leftie - however i reserve judgement on him.

----------

Tredwell is playing 2ndXI cricket for Kent and still gets picked for England :lol

Yep & it pretty much shows how grappy our spin stocks are now that Swann is gone.

1 guy who I believe should be picked for the t20 squad is Allenby of Glamorgan. He has been very consistent with both bat and ball. He can be used as the "utility man" that every t20 team wants. And iirc , he has lived long enough in UK to gain citizenship as well.

Thank god some international cricket is back here, seeing international cricket come to standstill in the last 2 years when IPL is on quite dull and irritating.

Yeah I agree. Also it's very exciting to see how we get on in this new era of English cricket :yes

EDIT: I see the NatWest inflatable pig is in the stands tonight, still don't know what you get for hitting it.

Last edited:
Loved those stats about how England had the worst bowling attack in the T20 World Cup. Everyone can see it's because we only pick 4 bowlers. Well, everyone apart from the management of course. But hey, we've got Ian Bell (Last T20 game of any kind in January 2011) in the team to save the day.

So uninspiring and so disappointing for Moores' first game back. Different face in charge, but the ideas seem to be the same. Including Joe Root (Econ 11+) bowling the first over and serving up dross.

Last edited:
Great start from Gurney. Woakes on the other hand...:facepalm

Bopara's short run up seems to be very good at bowling the ball short and wide outside off. :D

I don't understand how Tredwell is playing for England when he can't even get into the Kent side at the moment.

EDIT: Ok that's a good comeback from Woakes, credit where it's due.

Last edited:
Woakes looks good in those sort of middle overs, in ODIs as well. As the start though it's almost like he's trying to prove that he's quick enough to be an opening bowler, so he ends up banging it in too short, which means the ball just sits up and then gets put away square a lot. He'd be great as a first change bowler for those middle overs for me, ODIs especially.

Impressive bowling from Gurney and a very good score from Sri Lanka but this is a decent pitch and we bat very low down the order so should be a competitive chase.

Looking forward to seeing how Carberry does, last season in the T20's he was a beast!

Users who are viewing this thread