Sri Lankan players attacked in Pakistan?!

They shouldn't be thrown out of international cricket, they just shouldn't be allowed to host anything there. It's far too unsafe to be there and it's why we didn't go there.

Last edited:
September 2001- New Zealand decide not to tour Pakistan following USA's military action in Afghanistan in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks. West Indies and Australia then decide to move their games in Pakistan scheduled for later in the year to neutral venues in Colombo and Sharjah.

May 2002 - New Zealand cancel their tour of Pakistan after a bomb blast outside Karachi's Sheraton Hotel where they were staying.

March 2008 - Australia postpone their tour of Pakistan slated for the end of March as a result of security concerns.The decision was taken in the aftermath of Benazir Bhutto's assasination in December 2007.

October 2008 - West Indies call off a proposed tour of Pakistan scheduled for November citing security concerns, a week after the West Indies Women had cancelled the Pakistan leg of their Asian tour.

December 2008 - The BCCI call off India's scheduled tour of Pakistan in 2009 following a directive from the government. Champions league scrambled. England India tour had a delay.

December 2008 - The PCB confirm that Sri Lanka will tour Pakistan after India decided not to after the Mumbai terror attack.

February 2009 - The ICC decide not to stage the 2009 Champions Trophy in Pakistan after some of the members expressed reservations about touring the country.

Ok now does that workout at all?:p Really good game spirit guys.

I think you guys are being harsh on zMario. I don't think he would've predicted such a terrible event. In fairness i doubt anyone would think a team bus would be attacked considering the security they have. Anyway i hope those terrorists are happy now. Destroyed the little remaing happiness a war torn country possess.

I think you guys are being harsh on zMario. I don't think he would've predicted such a terrible event. In fairness i doubt anyone would think a team bus would be attacked considering the security they have. Anyway i hope those terrorists are happy now. Destroyed the little remaing happiness a war torn country possess.
If he had expressed his opinion politely, people will not be harsh on him. Calling people 'pussies, wimps' etc does'nt help. Deserves what he gets.

I am really shocked by hearing this horrible news.i couldn't believe that such thing could also be occur in Pakistan.I am just watching and listening news and photos and videos of the misshape,its truly shameful for us.now i couldn't expect cricket to flourish in Pakistan for may be couple of years.i am extremely thankful to Allah that all Srilankans are safe and just couple of them have minor injury and inshallah soon they will be alright.i am still crying even writing this post because i love cricket as all Pakistani's love but are enemies have won this battle and made us alone in this deep trouble.
According to news and my point of view this Attack was the same as that in Mumbai last year and by looking at the guns and ammunition it was similar to ones which one used by mumbai culprits.Unity is the our of need now not only as a Pakistani nation but as A member of this world,please forget all things and now think beyond boundaries and fight against this horrible terror which is just reinuing us

I am really thankful to Srilankan's cricket team and also very grieved and ashamed of this attack:crying
May God Bless my country and this whole world with peace
:crying:crying

Last edited by a moderator:
I just woke up and saw this. Reading the reports, it looks like the coach driver saved the Sri Lankan team's lives. I saw Rohit say earlier, that he thought he might be involved due to acting so calmly. I highly doubt that. It says that the moment the police car was hit, he floored it and got the team out of there. RIP to the police officers as well. If they hadn't been there it would have been the team in their place :(

Really is a sad day for cricket, but we musn't forget that people have died here today. All I hope is a speedy recovery for those players injured.

i saw this news on my tv,i am too shocked after hearing this news:(
hope sri Lankan player get well soon,

and

Really is a sad day for cricket, but we musn't forget that people have died here today. All I hope is a speedy recovery for those players injured.

RIP to all who died in this horrible encounter :crying

Guys whilst zMario's opinions may have been inaccurate, please lay off getting stuck into him, I'm sure this is affecting him a lot more than a lot of us here and it's not fair to criticise him for such a tragic event.

I think the quotes from Muttiah Muralitharan are the most touching and sum up the situation. He said he looked out of the coach window and saw the guys with machine guns, and saw a rocket launcher pointed at the coach and thought that was it for him, he honestly thought he was going to die there and then. It's amazing that they're alive actually, there was apparently a grenade thrown at the coach, which was mis-directed, and then the terrorists had a rocket launcher pointed at the coach also, but that attempt also failed. Horrible situation for the Sri Lankan team, but it could have been a heck of alot worse.

The bus driver looks eerily calm. Someone needs to interrogate that guy, I think he playeed a role.

Reading the reports, it looks like the coach driver saved the Sri Lankan team's lives. I saw Rohit say earlier, that he thought he might be involved due to acting so calmly. I highly doubt that. It says that the moment the police car was hit, he floored it and got the team out of there.

Well just found this on the BBC website,

BBC website said:
He said the players told him their bus driver was killed instantly by gunfire after armed men attacked their team bus at a roundabout.

"They all hit the ground, then there was shrapnel flying all over," Mr Cork said. He said one of the players remembered thinking, "This is it. I thought I was dead."

With the driver fatally shot, one of the passengers pleaded with a Pakistani police officer to drive them to the cricket ground, Mr Cork added.

i hope pakistan wakes up and takes a hard look at itself and the situation it finds itself in,its time for them to look for a cure rather than be in a denial mode.

Nobody will want to tour there while there are these idiots going round shooting people. They may find that very few sides will want to play them with all the nonsense that's going on. Not great for a team that seems in a bit of a mess on the playing front as well.

I just love how so many people here can hear about a tragedy like this, and think it is the perfect opportunity to start going around and saying 'Hah, told you so, Pakistan isn't safe! Nah nah nah nah!'. Fantastic work. Does that make you feel proud?

Incredible. Horrible. To be brutally frank, these sort of incidents are expected in Pakistan, and have been going on for a very long time. Pakistan usually isn't a safe place to visit.

However, there has always been one thing about Pakistan for as long as I know, and that is that Cricketer are hands off. Cricket is what all the Pakistanis had a chance to cheer for. Cricket was one of the last few joys in an existence where they could die any day. Imran Khan, Wasim, Kamran Abbasi, etc. all argued for Pakistan playing cricket, cause they all knew theat 2 things stood true. Cricket was happiness for Pakistan, and the Cricketers were off limits. Terrorists, for all they would do, would not attack the cricketers, especially if unprovoked. They enjoyed their cricket, they enjoyed their sports, an honestly, sport was the only reason people were going to Pakistan anymore. From the 1990s, Pakistan has been hosting cricket match after cricket match, all while the Political instability and terrorist attacks were going on. At the worst, there would be the odd crowd riot and invading of the pitch, but for the most part, Cricketers in Pakistan were safe. They were in a world of their own. No one would touch them. And everyone who supported Pakistan to host matches would have held that belief.

But now, we're wrong. That is. The final line was crossed. Cricket in Pakistan is over. No one is safe now, and despite the horrendous attacks, I feel more terrible for the Pakistanis. Because this is it. Their last attempt to prove to the world that they can be a stable nation, that they can host such tournaments, that despite what was happening, outsiders and guests would always be safe, is now wrong. Their last attempt to show that they can be a life or normalcy in Pakistan is gone. No one is safe. And now no one will come to Pakistan. Ever. For anything. For the next decade at the very least. And it's terrible.

This is pathetic and terrible. Good thing everyone is safe, but the aftermath of this will not be good.

I dont know why but I get a feeling Pakistan won't be getting too many tours in the future as well, they are in a deep crisis.

I just came back from my classes and my mom told me that Sri Lankans cricketers got shot, I turned on the TV and couldn't believe it but the good thing is that they are safe and out of danger now, I feel quite relieved now.

Users who are viewing this thread