Sri Lankan players attacked in Pakistan?!

Cricinfo's headline is making Dhoni look like a villain but thats not true, he didn't really mean that. He can feel more than we do, in fact every cricketer is feeling sad about it. He said in the beginning "I was blank, shocked" which clearly shows what his reaction was at first and he said that he's happy that his team didn't tour Pakistan is because he knows anything could have happened to him and his team members.

This is what he actually said about being happy

"Sides like us are quite happy not to be there, in this kind of a situation. People say sport is not targeted, but you are not immune to it. Once a guy decides to attack the cricketers, we are not tough targets. Cricketers roam about freely on tours, so you have to be aware."

Any confirmations on the injured guys? Or Has there been an offical anouncement about who have been injured and to what extent?

This is no time to point fingers at anyone now. I pretty much hate the toothless government out here in the Subcontinent. The Indian government is pointing at Pakistani government and Pakistan at India. None of them just do anything really , no solid steps to prevent anything.

Also i saw 2-3 jeeps as security for SL bus, that surprised me bit bcoz when Eng toured india after 26/11 there bus was always surrounded by NSG commandos.And the cricket grounds looked like fortresses with 1000's of commandos, didnt see this much security for Sl players by Pakistan.

All the SL players have left by military chopper to Abu Dhabi and will reach colombo by tomorrow.All of then have shrapnel injuries and Samaraweera has a bullet in his thigh but he's reportedly fine now and will also be airlifted out soon.

All the SL team members have thanked the Bus driver for his quick thinking and that undoubtedly saved their lives. The bus driver drove with flat tyres all the way to the stadium as soon as the firing began.

My deepest condolences to the five security men that died saving the lankan team.R.I.P:upray

I think Dhoni did well by speaking his mind , no point sugar coating a bitter pill.This will have serious effects on Pakistan itself and not only on Pakistani cricket. I feel sad for the Pakistan players and people , its not their fault just their toothless government which "Is in a Constant State of Denying everything" as quoted by TIMES NOW newsreaders.

I hope this does not impact any of the Sl players careers both mentally and physically.

Last edited:
sad and shocking to say the least.

Anyways, Cricinfo - 'I'm happy we didn't tour Pakistan' - Dhoni is stupid from Dhoni. Was there any need to say it?

LOL. That is quite possibly the most retarded and misleading title I have ever seen on cricinfo. I wouldn't be surprised if MSD didn't complain about that. Funny that its actually an Indian journalist who wrote the article, don't know what he's trying to achieve with that title, which is making one of the strongest figures in world cricket look like a villain. Complete muppet!

EDIT:
Cricinfo has now changed the title to something more appropriate -- "'Cricketers will be more alert' - Dhoni"

Last edited:
This is no time to point fingers at anyone now. I pretty much hate the toothless government out here in the Subcontinent. The Indian government is pointing at Pakistani government and Pakistan at India. None of them just do anything really , no solid steps to prevent anything.

Also i saw 2-3 jeeps as security for SL bus, that surprised me bit bcoz when Eng toured india after 26/11 there bus was always surrounded by NSG commandos.And the cricket grounds looked like fortresses with 1000's of commandos, didnt see this much security for Sl players by Pakistan.

All the SL players have left by military chopper to Abu Dhabi and will reach colombo by tomorrow.All of then have shrapnel injuries and Samaraweera has a bullet in his thigh but he's reportedly fine now and will also be airlifted out soon.

All the SL team members have thanked the Bus driver for his quick thinking and that undoubtedly saved their lives. The bus driver drove with flat tyres all the way to the stadium as soon as the firing began.

My deepest condolences to the five security men that died saving the lankan team.R.I.P:upray

I think Dhoni did well by speaking his mind , no point sugar coating a bitter pill.This will have serious effects on Pakistan itself and not only on Pakistani cricket. I feel sad for the Pakistan players and people , its not their fault just their toothless government which "Is in a Constant State of Denying everything" as quoted by TIMES NOW newsreaders.

I hope this does not impact any of the Sl players careers both mentally and physically.
some great thoughts there. great post.

You've basically described how I feel Zorax. I was really disappointed at the some of the comments in this thread but gained some hope after reading this. I saw the news when I got online at work earlier to check the score and was devastated to see what had happened. You try and try to live in denial about these conditions in your home country, especially when you're sitting halfway around the world. Its not because you don't care, rather because you feel helpless unless you try and forget about it. Then something like this happens to one of the biggest passions of your life and happens to people who were brave enough to give you a chance to show the world they're wrong. It hits you hard, real hard. Gives the world a chance to say 'told you so' but it doesn't really matter. I feel like a broken man today...

Yup, the `I told you so` attitude does not help at all in situations like these.Cricket is one shared passion in the Indian subcontinent and I feel deeply hurt by all that has happened here.This is a blow for cricket in general.Teams will be more reluctant to travel to the whole region in general.
I can`t help but feel that the game has lost its innocence after all this.

Cricket is meant to be a battle between bat and ball and not battling with life.I hope we see those great on-field battles again.It will take time for these memories to fade but I really hope cricket takes centrestage again.The great sport must get back on its feet,especially at a very exciting time when sides are all beginning to look evenly matched (with even the West Indians showing signs of revival).

MY heart goes out to the Pakistani public and fans.These terrorists have only fallen in the people`s eyes by depriving them of their biggest passion.

aditya123 added 3 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

I really feel that Pakistan should officially consider using Abu Dhabi and Dubai as their adopted home venues until Pakistan gets back on its feet.That would at least prevent them from becoming a social pariah and give their fans to at least follow their side, albeit not at home.

I think something like this has been on the cards for a while, it's a horrible tragedy, 7 people killed and more injured. It's probably ended all international cricket in Pakistan for the forseeable future, it will take a lot to restore confidence in the PCB and the security of Pakistan, I would not be surprised to find a similar event happening in India within the next 2 years.

As Zorax and NP have said, they almost have to live in denial, cricket is a massive passion and the inabilities of certain people (this isn't a time or place to point fingers, what has happened has happened) to control a threat has lead to the death of many, many people.

It's a sad day, more lives lost due to the brainwashed few who are set on causing death and destruction.

We won't give up though, even if I don't believe a peaceful situation will ever arise, you give up the cause, you give up your life and humanity.

Another thing that puzzles me is that 12 terrorists attack in Broad Daylight, Run away,Non of them captured or even injured , and pakistan says:"We provided enough security to players".

Must have been absolutely terrifying for the Lankans. Some of the news channels are being a tad bit critical on how the lame cowards got away, but looking at the weapons they had, I think the authorities involved did an excellent job of protecting the players on such a spontaneous attack. Kudos to all involved in keeping them safe.

Vettori worded it loads better.

Vettori is a native English language speaker.

I think the authorities involved did an excellent job of protecting the players on such a spontaneous attack. Kudos to all involved in keeping them safe.

Exactly. In a well planned ambush, there is very little you can do, apart from try and get behind cover and work out where you are being attacked from

It was a very well planned thing, that's how they got away. They made sure to do it in one of the busiest areas, Liberty Square, which has roads going in from 4 directions. They surrounded the buses from those 4 roads, and started firing machine guns and rocket launchers. The thing that allowed them to get away was the fact they were dressed and had the look to just mould back into the crowds. These weren't sinhalese or Sri Lankan or other terrorists from another region as they'd have stood out like a sore thumb, they were Pakistani terrorists that, after the attack was complete, they dropped their weapons and moved back into the crowds, seemingly un-noticed. The Sri Lankan cricket team are very lucky not to have ended up with far more severe injuries.

Users who are viewing this thread